1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Young Bigs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bevo202, Jul 14, 2018.

1. bevo202

bevo202 Member

I think our young bigs Zhou Qi and Hartenstein have shown enough improve to get minutes in the regular season. The regular season isn't that important for a team as good as the Rockets, so I think it be smart to spend time giving these guys minutes to speed their development which could help in the playoffs and if Capela leaves next offseason.

2. basketballholic

Absolutely true. Both players have the capacity to space the floor and shoot the three. And Qi is proving to be a defensive difference maker in summer league. Hartenstein a little more active offensively and undoubtedly more skilled offensively. But for now, Qi is the better fit with his defensive length, spot up ability, and most importantly, his willingness to do without the basketball. He's not trying to find the ball offensively. Just letting it come to him. And that's ideal for our offense.

#2 basketballholic, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    carib, xtruroyaltyx, yixiixiy and 8 others like this.
  3. j@amc

j@amc Member

I like both but they are young, developing bigs. I don't think there's room on the Rockets bench or willingness on the part of the coaches to carve out game minutes for them, yet. They need to play and learn.

Qi is still developing stamina and confidence.
    Hartenstein is still finding his way as well.

It wouldn't disappoint me at all for them to get 30 minutes a game with RGV through December.

snowconeman22, FLASH21 and Zoplicone like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Someone gotta eat up those minutes since Nene is good for one game a week. ;)

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I like both of them, Hartenstein is more skilled on offense and i think that would be highlighted by playing with high iq players like James and Chris, but as today i think Zhou being a better defender would probably help a bit more, i'd still try to give minutes to both of them if possible unless Nene somehow turns the clock back but eh, not expeting that at this point.

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I didn’t know @bevo202 was blind.

brosef, No Worries and hakeem94 like this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i agree with you... but that aint how MDA rolls...

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Pringles doesn't play young players. Linsanity only happened because Knicks were so injured he had no choice but to play Lin.

9. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Hartenstein from what I saw looked quick enough to play the 4, which could open up in an Anderson trade (unless it's for another PF).. and with Nene cooling off the 5 spot will probably open up too. I would more likely assume that Morey would look at FA to fill the Center role since its sooo import so if someone like a Munro or Len become available I think Morey would jump at it.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Both Hartenstein and Joe need to improve their stamina. I thought Hartenstein might have a bit quicker, but he was exposed by the Cavs last night.

Natural speed is unlikely to increase by much. Sprinting, running, improving hand strength and overall fitness is what they need before going back to the G-League. They should work out at the Rockets facility. The Dream can help them out a lot, if he is in Houston. Clyde should help the guards and forwards in the off season. Harden should work out with him too.

11. bevo202

bevo202 Member

I'd rather give these young guys minutes who will improve with playing time, then a broken down Nene, Ryan "afraid of basketball" Anderson or whichever Tarik Black player.

beardsanity713, saleem and RasaqBoi like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tell that to Sam Dekker and Montrez Harrell.

saleem likes this.
  13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I know the offseason hasn't gone as planned, but isn't it a little early to start thinking about tanking?

brosef likes this.
  14. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

With qi’s length, our rebounding is gonna be off the charts.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Summer league folks....

But good news on a lot of fronts from what I saw. Mostly with Zhou catching up to the speed of the game which was his biggest issue last year. The game was too fast for him.

Next step will be getting them some reps in the preseason as an evaluation process to see if one of the three (including Nanu because he deserves a shot too) bigs can be trusted with T Black’s minutes in the rotation.

Nenes minutes will just decrease more and more so this role will eventually be more important.

Zhou should probably get first rep in the preseason imo, but he’s still got to work on his strength and stamina these next few months. Hope he spends the Summer in Houston getting serious. Hart and Nanu are physically there already so either could earn those minutes.

Again... this is not a franchise altering role they are gunning for guys. Just backup minutes the nights Nene is resting.

saleem likes this.
  16. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Hartenstein really needs to work on his footwork bc he cannot gaurd anyone on the perimeter.

Jo Chi has to learn to defend without fouling.

I think both are on the same timetable that Capela was on when he was drafted. Hopefully, they will both start to get some minutes close to the end of this upcoming season or at the beginning of next. It seems like the Rockets put a 2-3 year timetable for player development.

carib, FLASH21 and D-rock like this.
  17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't think Clyde to help anyone because probably more than anyone else, his game was based on pure freakish athleticism. He had very poor fundamentals. I think the guys you learn from are the guys that made in the NBA with garbage athleticism. If you look at the most successful coaches and GM's, they are the guys that won even though they could barely dunk. Kerr, Ainge, Riley etc.

True Rocket likes this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Hartenstein needs to stay in the G-League.

Zhou is too fragile to play in the NBA. Drink some muscle milk or something.

hvic and coachbadlee like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Laker's Moritz Wagner.

#19 daywalker02, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  20. basketballholic

Don't know about that. Possibly I suppose. He does use his length well and he understands verticality. He also has good timing and he's good at tracking the ball off the shooters hand to follow up on the offensive glass.

What he isn't good at right now is when he's hemmed in underneath in a scrum he doesn't understand how to bend and spread out to create space for himself. And like so many players playing basketball today he apparently hasn't been taught how to box out on the defensive glass effectively. And I hate that. Because boxing out of a fundamental skill that kids should be learning in grade school. I get sick and tired of these grown men not understanding and applying basic fundamentals like that.

Hoping Qi will improve this.