1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Running Backs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Aug 2, 2018.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont think he could handle blocking, blitz pickups and route running. In the game against San Fran, on the second to last pass attempt right before the td, he botched the whole play. He ran right in front of Ellington, threw Ellington off concentration and not receive the pass. Hes more of a 3rd string back.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Same could be said about Peterson.

3. theimpossibles1

No love for Jim Brown?

Fullcourt and houstonstime like this.
  4. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

so shane Lechler is fighting for his job, but our back up running backs are set WOW

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Unbelievable! :eek:

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe Lechler said he’s leaning towards retirement after training camp started so Texans said this?! Weird but Lechler is still one of the best.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. awc713

awc713 Member

Can we move on from Blue? Surely there has to be something better on the market, right? Why keep him? He's been durable, but pretty much a consistent Special Teams esque player.

Also, I wonder if we're going to use Ellington out of the RB slot on any snaps. Is that too crazy?

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

inb4 @J.R. and his O'Brien impression

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

OB did last year. There were some read option sweeps with Ellington getting involved.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Alfred is a good guy, works hard every day, has gotten better every year since he's been here. Like I said, works hard, valuable contributor on Special Teams, gives us depth at the RB position, does everything we ask of him. Just a guy you love to have on your roster.

Between Lamar, Alfred, Tyler (Ervin), Troymaine, Lavon (Coleman), Terry (Swanson) & D'Onta, who's working hard to come back, we love our running backs. Great group of guys, fun group to coach. Very deep group, unfortunately can't keep 'em all.

I know it's Brian's job to always look to upgrade the roster but we don't anticipate cutting Alfred or adding another running back.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Why are they even teasing us with Foreman's "return," I don't think he is coming back, ever.

deb4rockets and Bobbythegreat like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Houston Chronicle expects D'Onta Foreman (Achilles) to open the season on the reserve/PUP list. Foreman hasn't made much progress since going on active/PUP. He was doubtful to be ready for Week 1, but landing on reserve/PUP would cost him at least the first six games. Foreman's absence would lock Lamar Miller into a three-down role. Alfred Blue stands to open the year as Miller's backup.

Adrian Peterson rushed 11 times for 56 yards in the Redskins' third preseason game. It was great news on two fronts for Peterson. First, he dominated first-team snaps, lining up for 14 of the 25 plays Alex Smith was on the field. Second, he looked good on those snaps, consistently creating positive yards including a few big plays

#113 J.R., Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Fullcourt and red5rocket like this.
  14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

It's a shame AD didn't want to play for the Texans. He would have been the perfect complement to Miller. Yes, this is sarcasm.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

But,bbut,bbut we have the hardest working backup in the business, and he's a great guy.

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we had picked him up, but I do feel better with Blue getting 45 yards on 5 carries, and a TD Saturday. Icing on the cake......no fumbles.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like Blue. He catches a lot of **** from people on here, but I don’t think he’s a bad backup running back at all. He’ll never be a superstar, but he’s reliable, and he’s only lost two fumbles ever. We have WAY bigger issues on offense than Alfred Blue.

18. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Remember the Foster/Ben Tate combo... Now Lamar Miller is our 3-down back. He's not bad, but Tate was better than anyone we have right now. I would so much rather draft a young rb than sign a middling one. DF is our best prospect, but he's not healthy...

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Texans had ample opportunity to draft a RB but chose not to. This past draft had a few good ones to choose from.

Nimo likes this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Imagine if they had Bo Scarborough instead of Jermaine Kelly

red5rocket and coachbadlee like this.