1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Our limited guard & overall rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vlaurelio, Dec 12, 2017.

?

What do you think of our limited guard & overall rotation?

1. We are at a disadvantage it's on Morey to make minor moves on the roster

24.4%
  2. We are at a disadvantage it's on MDA to develop and trust the guys in his roster

24.4%
  3. We are at a disadvantage it's on both Morey and MDA to resolve this

20.0%
  4. We are not a disadvantage the players just have to play better, harder, and smarter

31.1%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden sharpened his overall game, including defense in off season. That is separate from Paul's contributions.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah but Pops and Kerr well know their stars can be guaranteed to play better by minimizing fatigue and injury. and of stars doesn;t perform as expected everyone is ready to step up

3. vlaurelio

he's able to do it because of the extra energy he has..

and a superstars defense depends on the teams defense

you think we even had a good defensive team last yeat outside of james? he wasn't even the worst defensively on that team

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

MDA might have a championship . . . OVER POP had this not happened :D

The suspensions won for the spurs

- for conspiracy theorist LOL

Rocket River

D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  5. vlaurelio

see what a deep bench can do? :D

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Extra energy definitely helps. But let's not dismiss the individual improvement, regardless.

Afterall, don't forget Harden started this historical run of efficiency before Paul returned...he was amazing all November long. In the 7 games of Nov prior to Paul returning, he shot 46.5% and 42.5% from three. His three ball is just better this year, and that also contributes to his drives being better because defenses have to honor his shot more....and he was showing signs of being faster on drives (like 2015) before Paul came back.

Paul makes it sustainable, and makes his much fresher when needed in Clutch games.

D-rock likes this.
  7. vlaurelio

thats what I'm saying Paul basically gives James less of a burden to carry which transforms into extra energy

I'm just pointing out the difference right now between us and GSW and Spurs

deeper bench, more energy for everyone (especially our 28+ yearold players), everyone less injury proine, more players ready to step up any give night when stars or others are injured, fatgued or playing badly

we're seeing the affects of fatigue these past 2 games now

8. bongman

bongman Member

MDA nor Pops or Kerr can't guarantee better performance just as much as you an I can if player X is rested. You seem to make a lot of conclusions based on a data set from only 2 coaches.

D-rock, heypartner and YOLO like this.
  9. vlaurelio

so what's the reason behind them intentionally resting players and having a deep bench during the regular season?

why do their GMs stack their already stacked teams?

you don't think mental and physical fatigue build-up and accumulate the course of 82 games?

10. heypartner

Yes, and we are saying that Harden has flat out improved, with or without Paul. He was already putting up best career numbers, now it's getting silly, and looking very sustainable, per your point about Paul (which we all agree upon).

D-rock likes this.
  11. vlaurelio

so you're saying if we had the same roster as last year, harden would still be this good offensively and defensively this year

alright

12. heypartner

Players have to agree to sign. Vets want to sign with contenders, and might even take a discount. Contenders want Vets. It's as simple as that.

13. vlaurelio

thought we were contenders now :(

14. heypartner

that's not what I said. But fine.

Whatever it takes for you to understand that many of us think Harden showed noticeable improvement even before Paul came back.

You said, "Why do GMs stack their already stacked teams." I didn't consider us anywhere close to being considered a stacked team going into free agency, and not much depth at all after the glorious Paul trade (losing two rotation players for the HOFer). We were in catch-up mode to the contenders who were also stacked with depth. We built a rotation, whereas they added to one. Hard to both sign Luc, PJ and Black, get Hard Capped, and still add more quality depth on Vet Minimums, especially when the player has to pick you vs other suitors, as well.

Anyhoot, you seem to have a narrative going in this thread.

I'm out

D-rock likes this.
  15. vlaurelio

my narrative is giving us best the chance to beat superteam/superdeep team GSW and great coach/great team without their best player Spurs

we know even Lebron, Kyrie, & Love didn't do it last year. Is harden & Cp3 even better than those 3?

would having a 4 guard rotation just like gsw has help? sure

would having another more reliable than nene and black? sure

16. bongman

bongman Member

The reason why coaches rest players is because they feel this will help their players for the post season. Is there any data that validates this actually helped and this is the MAIN reason why they won the ring? Pops also makes his players do boxing, should we also do that? Is that the reason why they have been dominant?

If a player plays 40 mins a game with a high usage rate, yes, fatigue can be a factor. 34 mins with less usage, do we have data which will allow us to make that conclusion?

D-rock likes this.
  17. vlaurelio

LOL you don't believe fatigue & rest is not a factor? because kerr, pops, morey, and mda sure do believe and have proven that rest & fatigue are definitely important factors

and fatigue doesn't add up and accumulate thru an 82 game season

take these for data!!!

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/time-harden-embrace-rest-running-gas/story?id=47375178

When I asked a Rockets executive to explain Harden's performance, the text read: "Just ran out of gas. Very disappointing."

In December, when the Cavs were resting their star trio,

Before winning the 2014 Finals MVP, Kawhi Leonard ranked 138th in minutes played during the regular season.

Andre Iguodala spent the regular season coming off the bench before nabbing the 2015 Finals MVP.

Before his brilliant 2016 Finals manifesto, LeBron James enjoyed 19 extra days off in the playoffs as a result of sweeping early-round opponents, while the Warriors labored through injuries and a grueling seven-game marathon against the OKC Thunder.

Let's also not forget the Warriors decided to chase 73 wins that season instead of resting down the stretch.

This is the whole point of resting during the regular season. Popovich has regularly sat his stars to both prevent injury and give his second unit plenty of opportunity to thrive and gain chemistry.

The Rockets could point to a Nene injury as an excuse, but that strains credibility when you consider the Spurs played without starters Tony and Leonard in Game 6. The Spurs' reserves stepped up to the challenge because Popovich asked them to step up eight times before in the regular season when he sat Leonard.

Westbrook shot 38.8 percent on 30.4 field goal attempts while turning the ball over six times per game in his first-round exit.

Harden missed 45 3-pointers in six games against a Spurs team that collectively ran five more miles on the floor than the Rockets did in the series, according to player-tracking data.?

With little burst left, Westbrook and Harden were reduced to chucking from deep. The pair shot 27.3 percent on 3s on a combined 20.6 attempts per game in the postseason, whereas those figures were 34.5 percent and 16.4, respectively, in the regular season.

Westbrook and Harden dazzled audiences in the regular season. But in the end, the human body in today's NBA can only handle so much. No, Harden wasn't "drugged" in Game 6. But the idea that strategic rest is the enemy -- not a friend -- sure can be intoxicating for hoopers like Harden.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...-nba-playoffs-2017/1nl9nheugboda19gxqvwajecae

Some observers wondered if that heavy workload suddenly caught up with Harden this week. He had a poor shooting performance in the second half and overtime of the Rockets' Game 5 loss, then looked very un-Harden like in the Game 6 debacle, going 2 for 11 from the floor with six turnovers.

D'Antoni told reporters Friday he will look to get Harden more rest next season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-need-more-rest-next-season-mike-dantoni-says

"All great players think they can do everything," D'Antoni said. "Maybe he does need to take a game off here and there. 'Hey, you're nicked up a little bit, don't play, maybe.' Something to talk about, but that's also his greatness, too. So it's hard. It's very delicate.

"And again, I feel so sorry for him because he's had an unbelievable [season]. I mean, he's had a historic year, and you can't just say, 'OK, one game ...' and all of the sudden, social media goes crazy. ... But he will get better. We will talk about it. I can help him. The offense will get better. I can get him off the ball some. I can save his legs a little bit and have more confidence [in other ball handlers].

Morey mentioned that the Rockets place as much responsibility on Harden -- the first player in NBA history to record at least 2,000 points, 900 assists and 600 rebounds in a season -- as any player in the league.

One offseason goal for Morey and D'Antoni is to figure out ways to ease the burden on Harden, who turns 28 in August.

D'Antoni said he expects the Rockets to have the best offense in NBA history next season, saying they can "add layers" to the system to help Harden.

"He's had a historic season, and we can get that better," D'Antoni said. "Obviously, we'll sit down. Save his energy, play him less, manage it better. ... We'll work that together. One game can't erase nine months of work."

Added Morey: "James makes progress every year. That's one of the things I love about him, whether it be improving his right hand or his leadership like he did this year. Every year, he dedicates himself to improving himself. I know that he'll do that again. That's why he's our cornerstone."

are you trying to prove my point that playing less minutes and less usage actually DOES miminize/reduce fatigue? LOL

I mean we both want the rockets to beat GSW

you want our 2 stars to try do what lebron,kyrie, and love wasn't able to do

I just want our gm and coach do what gsw/kerr and spurs/pops has been doing and been successful with

18. bongman

bongman Member

HAHAHA. So Harden is the only player that was mentioned as being fatigued and now every player has to be rested? On all those quotes you mentioned, we already have a solution for that -- CP3. EG has not had a good start but from what I noticed, there seems to be a correlation with how many minutes JH plays and how well EG is doing during the game. Once you see EG go back to his SOTY capabilities, we should also see Harden's minutes reduced.

19. vlaurelio

LOL you must be a fatiguer I mean fatigue is just a myth right?

really fatigue isn't real? have you played basketball? you never get tired or something?

it mentioned kawhi resting 8 games
    Lebron resting 10 games
    we know for a fact klay, steph, and kd has rested
    it mentioned WB being fatigued

and you then agree with me that harden's minutes still need to be reduced because its better

so WTF are you arguing about fatigue and rest then?

is fatigue real or not? yes or no?

does rest help or not? yes or no?

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i don't think harden has any more energy than last year. cp3 just taught him how to have heart! :D