1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our limited guard & overall rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vlaurelio, Dec 12, 2017.

?

What do you think of our limited guard & overall rotation?

1. We are at a disadvantage it's on Morey to make minor moves on the roster

24.4%
  2. We are at a disadvantage it's on MDA to develop and trust the guys in his roster

24.4%
  3. We are at a disadvantage it's on both Morey and MDA to resolve this

20.0%
  4. We are not a disadvantage the players just have to play better, harder, and smarter

31.1%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

i agree. can we probably upgrade bobby brown. of course but thats something you dont have to hit the panic button for. if they feel its a definite need, i dont think they would hesitate to do so

vlaurelio likes this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

all Im saying the past 2 games (24th and 25th game barely a fouth of the season), where our 28+ yearold players can't stop the blazers and pels (they're even without AD & off a back to back)

is pretty much caused by low energy caused by fatigue

and with Ryno and LMA not contributing anything, so basically we are left with 5 offensive options.. and limited defensive options

as the season goes on and especially in the playoffs this will be more evident

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Bobby brown is such a waste of a roster spot. we need like a 2015 Jason Terry type player that can play limited minutes but still be a factor.

vlaurelio likes this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Mike just needs to play Luc
    I agree no need to hit panic mode, but Eric's and Chris's injury history does worry me a bit. It would be nice to have some player like Deron Williams that could step in for limited minutes if needed. I just dislike Mike's tight rotations. That seven man rotation in game 5-6 really killed us last year.

vlaurelio likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I get what you are saying, but Deron's playing days are over.

6. vlaurelio

is that difficult to find anyone better than Bobby Brown?

slothy420 likes this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No it's not.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This isn't proper use of stats when clearly many of those players are getting several DNPs, as that just means they are rotating who doesn't play. Sure, it means they might/probably have more injury-insurance depth, but if we are talking about the depth the coach uses in a regular rotation per game, I'm pretty sure we won't see many games of 11, 12, 13 man rotations. Except GSW, because Kerr is being a little silly right now, and he's admitted to it.

What I'd like to see is how many non, garbage time players they use from game to game. Can you do that?

swordghost and YOLO like this.
  9. vlaurelio

howbout this, name as many players here whom you are sure are not better than and you will never play over Tariq Black and Bobby Brown

1 Kevin Durant 29 23 23 34.5
    2 Klay Thompson 27 28 28 33.5
    3 Stephen Curry 29 23 23 32.6
    4 Draymond Green 27 25 25 32.2
    5 Andre Iguodala 34 24 1 26.5
    6 Shaun Livingston 32 25 3 15.9
    7 Omri Casspi 29 24 5 14.7
    8 Zaza Pachulia 33 25 25 14.4
    9 Patrick McCaw 22 24 1 13.4
    10 Nick Young 32 27 0 13.1
    11 David West 37 26 0 12.5
    12 Jordan Bell 23 22 3 11.3
    13 Quinn Cook 24 6 1 11.2
    14 Kevon Looney 21 21 0 9.8
    15 JaVale McGee 30 24 2 8.0

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Depends on match up, you know that Houston runs a lot of small ball line ups with no traditional C on floor. No one is denying that another rotation worthy player would be nice but would not be willing to give up anyone on the first 9 just to add a 10th or 11th guy.

Black is struggling a bit but should Nene go down/get nicked/foul trouble his value will be obvious. Black is Nene protection.

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. s3ts

s3ts Member

we got guards sitting on the bench, they're just not like the 30+ yr old veteran mins who are ring chasing.

in any case, i don't think we can expand our lineup unless CP and Harden are fully integrated. that's higher priority at the moment.

D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

tbh i had no problem with the rotation being 8 deep last year, with the options sitting on that bench. but this year is different. its obvious the rotation is going 9 deep atleast with black getting in games here and there and matchups based. Im not even sure why people are still bringing up eric's injury history. this guy has been healthy and fresh for over a year and half going now. his previous injuries were just fluke injuries and he was sitting on a terrible team that he wanted to leave. he had little motivation to play and play hard for that matter

13. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm not real concerned. I trust Tarik Black unconditionally vis-a-vis filling in any slack in the frontcourt (most overqualified third-stringer in the league). Our melange of rangy wings can credibly cover any slack from 2-4. When you can play Paul or Harden for 48 minutes who the hell that's any good would want to sign up as the third point guard?

Now injuries are injuries and they'll happen, but they can be addressed with a signing when they happen. It's easier to recruit a credible NBA point guard with the promise of, say, 18 minutes a night until Paul comes back than "wave some towels for us".

I would definitely prefer to trade Weber/Jackson in for an actual NBA point guard at the playoff eligibility deadline, but to be fair if Paul or Harden misses playoff games we're screwed anyway.

IvanLCPM and D-rock like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

wait for buyout season, that’s when Morey will probably look to acquire more depth...could get a useful vet for cheap

15. keez857

keez857 Member

What about Leandro Barbosa?

16. vlaurelio

again, its about distributing minutes and load to mimimize fatigue and injury to our 28 year old + main guys

let say harden and cp3 we know can play elite bball night in ang night out. what's the best way to assure that they keep the same elite efficient level of play and even take it up a couple of notches in the playoffs? eliminate or at least minimize their fatigue and injury thru the season..

steph, durant, klay, and green are all playing less than 34 minutes per game and had a couple of games rest already

2 minutes less per game alone will probably help harden keep his low turnovers, high 3pt fg%, quick first step, and focus on defense

less minutes is what helps steph klay and durant keep theit shooting efficiency high and cp3s turnovers low

and having options in nights where at least 2 of ego, capela, ryno, ariza, lma, & tucker are useless on offense

when kawhi went down simmons was ready to replace him defensively and even offensively.. when nene went down we had harden guarding LMA

I think that's the competitive advantage in the playoffs championship coaches and teams like Kerr/GSW and Pops/Spurs have over MDA

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

that would probably be the ideal time the team will make their decision for the playoff run and what could be useful based on how the team looks. that and the trade deadline time have never been a quiet time for morey even with a minor move.

Reeko likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

So who do you have in mind and what would it cost?

19. vlaurelio

have no idea.. its up to MDA & Morey

is Troy Williams, Black, Bobby Brown really that bad that they're impossible to trust and develop and eventually warrant more meaningful consitent playing time from MDA?

and if they are that bad and it's not MDAs fault for not trusting and developing them

is it that hard for Morey to find better guys than Williams, Black, and Bobby Brown?

20. vlaurelio

right now everyone is saying we are playing at the same level as GSW

who has a better of keeping this up throughout the season especially the playoffs

the team with a 10 upwards to 15 (if needed) man non-garbage rotation

or a team with an 9 man non-garbage rotation