1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Differences

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jul 28, 2000.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I notice that posts here run the gamut from silly to ultra-serious. It all seems to be in good fun and sometimes in good taste, but I was wondering something.

How different do you think you can be from someone and still be a friend?

I'll give you an example. I am what many of you might call a bleeding heart new agey freak if you didn't know me and just heard some of my opinions. I have been very flattered by many of your kind words about how you respect my opinion despite disagreeing with me from time to time, but would your opinion be different if you didn't know me through my other posts?

I can get very frustrated with people who I view as being very different from myself. I can even be quite judgemental and rather harsh at times.

Then I come on this BBS and I realize that I have no right to criticize and judge a person whom I do not know. It is very refreshing (just like a junior mint - [​IMG] ).

For instance, I knew Brian Kagy in reputation only and in his posts just a short while ago. As you can imagine, I agreed with very little he had to say and even found him to be a bit smug and condecending, a trait I tend to have myself and really have to be conscious of!

Before I actually met him in person, I really had no idea what to think. I was rather concerned that we would not get along. But, to be completely honest, he is one of the nicest most agreeable people I've ever met (hope I don't ruin your rep, BK!). I found that we had quite a bit in common (music and cats come to mind - Tucker says, "Meow" by the way) despite our differences of opinion.

Now, I view what he says completely differently. I don't necessarily agree but I have a greater respect for his opinion because I know him and I don't see him as smug or condecending at all. He is actually very accomodating. He just feels very strongly about his beliefs and I respect that because I feel the same way about my own.

All of us have a responsibility to try and understand one another, not just on this board, but in all of life. Our differences are what make us stronger - I can't stand math, for instance, but I sure am glad engineers don't share my aversion! I am glad we have this place to express ourselves and be honest.

We should all be glad that we have a place to speak our peace and realize that we won't be overly ridiculed for it. It makes for livelier discussions and better defense - sorry, that was for Smeg.

Plus, how else could I learn about all the cool theater stuff (thanks, heypartner) and vegetarian restaurants (rimmy!) around town while dissecting politics, philosophy and religion?

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited July 28, 2000).]

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I hate all of you.

------------------
    Clutchcity500.net is where all the action is!

3. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good post, Jeff.

I have thought about this often. There is a broad range of opinions on this board and, for the most part, discussions are usually civil.

I think that you can be very different from someone and still be friends as long as there is mutual respect and no one will get their feelings hurt by an opposing view. Both have to be open and honest.

This board seems to lend itself to being honest, for some reason. But at the same time, there is not any real interaction between people which seems to help. There are no biases based on appearances, the way people carry themselves, etc. Often when you get people in the same room, debating things that have come up on this board, there will be a lot of yelling and other nonsense.

This is a much more passive forum. There are intervals between posts, so nothing ever really gets too heated, even if it seems it may.

Who knows who would really like who. For example, Jeff, I have a feeling you and I could get along well enough, but maybe in the real world we would not.

I agree that BK can often seem (or is) condecending, but I like that, so we could probably get along as well. But, again, who really knows?

Regardless, this is a diverse forum and I am often pleasantly surprised. This diversity is a major thing that got me posting here, after havig viewed it for a few months.

I never thought I would see a post about the Russian Revolution, Welfare, Religion, Jazz, or that someone else would say they wanted to vote for Nader [​IMG]

In a culture/world where people are continually segregated from each other and divided physically and ideaologically, it is nice to see some kind of return to large-group discussion, even if it is through a keyboard and modem.

------------------
    "One evening I seated Beauty on my knees. And I found her bitter."

"I am a sick man...I am a wicked man. An unattractive man. I think my liver hurts."

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, heypartner. And, I still owe ya for a pizza. [​IMG]

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one and some people's stink more than others [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, if we did not differ in our opinions then there would be no discussion.

viewpoints are different and so are people(thank god).

It does not matter, a friend is a friend..period.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

[This message has been edited by Dennis2112 (edited July 28, 2000).]

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

And once more the World of Basketball brings together large groups of people to sing in one joyful voice......

"Kumbayah...."

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

whoa thats gettin' too deep for me

------------------
    President of the Rockets/Raiders Fan Club

8. PhiSlammaJamma

It only took you 2,456 posts to reach your first epiphany.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I find it hard believing or agreeing with anything I say or post, suppose that's what makes listening and reading everyone else's opinions easy and enjoyable.

If everyone agreeed with everyone else life would be bloody boring

Smeg [​IMG]

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

A sense of humor is a must to get along with me. Just about everyone here has one (except that serious police guy [​IMG]) which makes it enjoyable reading and debating different issues. The information and opinions on the Rockets is what brought me to this site, but this hangout forum is icing on the cake for me.

------------------
    "Don't think twice, its allright"

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The hidden link on the site that takes you to another private site with pictures of really sexy women scantily clad are what keeps me coming back.

------------------
    Just shut up and post

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

[​IMG]

------------------
    "Don't think twice, its allright"

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

well I'm a total ass hole yet nice posters still say Hi to me!!

plus that devil Crisco seems to have many friends, too.

15. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Jeff,

I've wondered the same thing.

I think the major stumbling block would be age differences. In here, a 17 yr old can hold a conversation with a 47 yr old. I doubt that would carry over in the real world (not for long, at least).

I have found some posters I have many similar interests: Pole, Jeff, and others I can't think of now. Just as I have found posters who seem to be the Anti-DREAMer.

I think this forum is not unlike any other place/organization/reason that people interact. Some will be able to get along and other won't.

P.S. - I sometimes get freaked out at how similar some people are to me. I thought I was one of a kind..... [​IMG]

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

DREAMer,

What scares me is when I agree with your posts. Then a DREAMer post comes along that I don't like and the world is OK again.
    [​IMG]

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

To all,

Throughout life, there seems to be a person chosen to be a foil within every group and that appears to be my destiny on this BBS.

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Heypee, you ass!

Mango, you are more like saran wrap, cuz I can see right through you to the very pulp of your being.

Jeff, I think I can be (and am) friends with people a lot different than me. As long as they are open minded and not racist bigots like Heypee, then I can get along with just about anyone.

Except Rimmy, he smells.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Crisco,

Saran wrap has pulp?

Silly boy!

You know that you would sell your left arm to be my friend, but I am too good for you. I would never associate with you, it would ruin my rep (huh? I have a rep?).

------------------
    "One evening I seated Beauty on my knees. And I found her bitter."

"I am a sick man...I am a wicked man. An unattractive man. I think my liver hurts."

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If he sold me his left arm, I'd use it to beat him over the head... [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post