1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Our defense, just flat out SUCKS !!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 21, 2000.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Thats why he can not be a starter for the rockets! He can play nice but he is too small. He doesnt work on defense. Thats why we need a defensive power forward.. KENYON MARTIN!

2. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Francis3,
    I agree with that. KT did not impress tonight on the D.

I really believe Kenyon Martin will end up as a 3 in the NBA. Sure he may be a 4 in some line-ups( three guard) but I can't see him matching up against Malone, Kemp,Webber or some of the big forwards.
    He may very well go #1 though.

------------------
    We would like to get rookie Francis on the break for some easy scoops in the first quarter...

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

You see him being a 3!

He plays center in college. He will play power forward in the nba. Doesnt matter how tall this guy is, he is like Alonzo Mourning.

4. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

no doubt about his height and leaping,
    I look at his build and he is on a slighter frame than some of the big boys in the NBA.
    Martin would be a match-up problem at the 3 in the NBA

------------------
    We would like to get rookie Francis on the break for some easy scoops in the first quarter...

5. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

I missed the last few games so I couldn't
    comment on Kenny's D. But his D looked
    bad...no really really bad tonight. I
    can't understand how a guy can have such
    sweet feet on offense, and be such a two
    legged cow on defense. He didn't even
    attemt to contest shots by Jumping for
    the most of the night.

DaDakota...I agree, the rox are a
    horrible defensive team. Ive been saying
    this for the last 3 years. Which says
    something about Rudy in that he pulls his
    best defensive player ever 4th quarter in
    Shandon, if he's not putting up shots.
    Why not have a defensive guy on the
    court. Its not like with Mobley,
    Francis, Hakeem, and Kenny you don't have
    a myriad of offensive minded guys on the
    floor. Why not Keep your best defensive
    guy on the court in the 4th more often.
    Why does Shandon always have to sit them
    out. Is it any coincedence that the Rox
    always get outplayed in the 4th quarter.
    I can see Mobley's place on the team.
    But his lack of D, and quit 20 footers
    when the team really needs a bucket is
    not whats best for the team. And if Rudy
    is going to insist on Running the Mobley
    iso, Mobley is going to have to become a
    much, much better finisher. For the best
    first step in the league, and all that
    clearing out for him, he should be
    getting dunk after dunk after layup.

Also, I find myself agreeing with what
    the Freak posted on Rudy's coaching
    style. I never feel as though Rudy
    impresses the need for solid Defense from
    his guys. Right now the Rox are a horrid
    defensive team. So why not go with a
    Cato, Hakeem 1-2 punch? Combined with
    Anderson, the Rox could at least have a
    solid defensive team.

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

i completely agree about the defense...until the rockets can play good team defence the rockets won't win squat.... i'm sure with time they'll gain some chemistry and gel together into a densive force but right now they aren't showing it.... wish we had garnett here...... i don't mind stevie wonder being our scorer but i think he needs to play a whole lot more d..... offense wins games but defense is gonna bring him to the championship....I think Rudy also needs to work on that. He's had to change the offense in great amounts to fit the players that he has but he now he needs to change the defense to suit his team now as well.. The chapionship years were loaded with talks of the Rocket's tight defense. With hakeem in the front court being the ultimate front court wall, clyde drexler being the densive wall in the back court and the rest of the team molding into the defensive scheme that these two superstars were playing.
    I suggest if we are going to make a trade for a player or thinking of drafting someone we don't just look for offensive threats but defensive threats

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Francis3

Why do you continue turning every thread into a Kenyon Martin discussion? we know,,,we know.

Nolen and Dreamshake
    Nolen mentioned the entry-pass defender dropping down against weak shooters.
    Dreamshake keeps mentioning Dream\Cato in together.

I got a question:
    How would you play Dream and Cato in a zone?

It is very difficult to get them both on strongside. Would you front and back Shaq? The back guy only needs one foot into the strong-side.

How about what SA does...One is barely one foot into the weakside, mostly standing in the lane. They other is strongside either guarding an entry pass to a PF/C or playing zone in the high post.

The later is geared for guard-oriented offenses like Milwaukee, Philly, Phoenix, etc.

8. Dreamshake

heypartner...Really the strong side zone, that is now allowed by the NBA, isn't being utilized too much in the NBA. Except against players like Shaq, whos entire livelyhood is derived from playing in the lane and have a complete dominance against anyone he is pitted against. It just leaves the passer way too open, with very little ability to help off of rotation.

Why not have a pair like Cato and Hakeem patrolling the lanes, and each others back. Offensively neithers game replicates each others. They shouldn't be getting in each others way. Heck, if Rudy could live with Barkley and Hakeem (very similar post up positioning needed), why not go with a Cato Hakeem look even if they were both post up players. I don't see the offensive problems for the Rox putting the ball in the hole on most nights. The problem is defense. Cato is capable of cutting baseline (opposite of Hakeem) for an alley oop. This would assuredly solve the "guards in Houstons lane again" syndrome. It would allow for the Mobleys, Francis, and Andersons to stay at home on their defenders instead of trying to double down just about every play, and getting it kicked out for open looks. Cato and Hakeem under the basket could solve alot of the Rox problems with shot blocking, rebounding, and they could help each other out, instead of one always being the one and only last line of defense.

Now I like Kenny's offense, but so far his D hasn't been even close to NBA caliber yet. And starting Kenny, coupled with the weak defense of William and Bullard, Drew, and Mobley, and yes to a degree even Francis. Its just too many defensive liabilities on the court.

Well, at least it seems as though Rudy has finally agreed with me on the points of Bullard not starting anymore, and giving Francis minutes that he deserves. Maybe he'll realize that its not the offense thats a problem (not that its great, but its coming along) but its the defensive end.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Dreamshake, did you notice how Hakeem starting coincided directly with Bullard's departure from the lineup. I think Rudy just wanted one 'vet' in there in the starting lineup, so when Hakeem came in, that allowed KT to start as well.

10. Dreamshake

Good point Freak.

So would Hakeem be starting if Cato wasn't injured???

I assume not. So then is Kenny's starts only a product of Cato's injuries? Forcing Hakeem in, allowing Bullard to sit?

If so, then something isn't quite right.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I really do think KT's starting only because of Cato's injury. I also think he's played good enough to stick in the lineup, though. I bet Cato comes off the bench the rest of the year, with KT and/or Rogers starting at PF. Hakeem still expects to start, you can tell by some quotes he had in the paper the other day. Unless Rudy sticks Cato in at the 4 spot he won't be starting. Barring any further injury, I don't see Bullard starting again this year, so that's the good news.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think KT is starting, because he is an awesome TEAM player...he rebounds..passes, plays with fire etc..etc..

Even Tim Duncan credited his defense. He ran into a HOT D. Coleman last night...so what?

KT is a starting PF in this league and will soon be a 15-10 guy, night in and night out.

DaDakota

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DS,

My second scenario is having both of them patroling the lanes. Just like SA.

SA often had Duncan high post and Robinson low post. NOTE: unless they were guarding the ball or an immediate passing threat, they were always one major foot in the lane, both of them.

I believe that tactic will work against guard-oriented teams.

14. Hydra

Hydra Member

At least Walt Williams has an exciting career awaiting him when he leaves the NBA.
    MATADOR!

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is it, our defense was TERRIBLE tonight against a TERRIBLE Nuggets team.

Defense is about Heart. I hate to say it, but the Heart of a Champion has quit beating.

DaDakota

16. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

we're not terrible.