1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our biggest need is "insurance" at wing or PG position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Sep 9, 2018.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

We need someone like insurance at Wing or PG position in case one of our big 5 is injured. Jazz, Thunder and GS has "insurance" at point guard, shooting guard, small forward.

An NBA game is 48 minutes long. Let's say Tucker, Gordon or Paul is injured.

I am not confident that Knight, Melo or Ennis can replace them. My deepest concern is "insurance" at the defensive end.

Is there any solution on this?

2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’m confident that we have enough to win games with any injuries. I’m also confident that we only beat the Warriors when we’re fully healthy (our main guys).

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

At point guard we added both Brandon Knight and Michael Carter Williams. I doubt Morey is counting on both of them panning out but we only need one of them to find new life in our system. I'm not sure I want to bet on either of them just yet but Morey has proven me wrong enough times that I'm willing to wait and see. I'm not worried regardless because we did just fine last year with our entire guard rotation being Harden, Paul and Gordon.

At power forward we brought in Melo. I'm not really sure how you expect to have much more depth than Melo + Tucker at the position.

At the wing I think we'll be fine. Ennis may be our only true small forward but Harden, Gordon, Green and Tucker can all get some minutes there. However, this is the position I'd most like to see them pick somebody up at. Hell, it's a long shot but I'm hoping that the Suns fail miserably and Ariza is bought out mid-season and comes back. That'd be ideal.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. BigBum

BigBum Member

Concern is

If one of our big 5 is injured, Jazz or Thunder can take us out ........

We don't have insurance for 48 minutes long.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Then again, neither do they.

In fact, we're deeper than either of those teams.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I don’t know about this. If we lose Harden or Paul then those teams take us out; Capela out makes us super vulnerable. But that’s generally the case with all teams that would lose one of their best two players. Only Warriors would be favoured against all teams but us without either Durant or Steph

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Our roster is full . Our biggest need is for some of the players we've acquired this offseason to pan out .

Until we get into actually seeing what roles our new players take , i don't think we can predict our biggest "need."

I think our roster is pretty well rounded . If we make a trade it won't be to fill a hole , it will be to upgrade our overall talent .

8. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

We have the best PG rotation in the NBA sir

hakeem94 and clutchdabear like this.
  9. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets have a full roster. They are not going to add insurance players until the trade deadline and the buyout market. But clearly Morey wanted more PG depth than wing depth because they signed MCW and traded for Knight.

amaru and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

Game7, Sean Dr34ms, jch1911 and 4 others like this.
  11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Cp3/Knight
    Harden/Gordon/MCW
    Ennis/Green
    PJ/Melo
    Capela/Nene/Chriss

That’s a pretty good set of 12 players. Multiple players who can play at multiple positions. I don’t think depth is a real concern going into the regular season.

don grahamleone and clutchdabear like this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Insurance? The moment Ariza and Moute walked, our biggest hole needed to be filled by either 2 mediocre or 1 excellent wing defender who can irritate Durant and hit a corner 3.

We got 1 guy who projects to be mediocre, who might surprise us. But we got better at PF (Melo), Guard (Knight) and maybe even backup C (one of Hartenstein or Qi, who knows maybe Chriss) since last season. If we get an another James Ennis caliber player, we will be in excellent shape. That has always been our need, and will remain our crutch until we acquire one.

At the moment, when Ennis sits, you will have PJ Tucker guarding Durant. Given Durant was rising up and shooting over 6'9 Ariza regularly, that's not a good way to go. Also we need Tucker at PF and if any of those guys (Ennis/Tucker) are unavailable for the WCF, we are in deep trouble because next in line is Gerald Green, James Harden or Eric Gordon. In fact, we might be better off having Capela guard Durant than any of those 3.

The good news is, with Lebron in the conference, Tucker is an excellent choice to guard him in the playoffs.

Against the rest of the NBA and in the regular season, we're fine.

napalm06 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

FIFY

True Rocket likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

But do we have the best Ref rotation in our pocket doe?

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no
    [​IMG]

napalm06 likes this.
  16. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I hate these pics so much... :mad::(:eek:o_O

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. BigBum

BigBum Member

This is the question:

Without Gordon, can we defeat new-look Thunder or Jazz?

Without Tucker, can we defeat new-look Thunder or Jazz?

Not related to any other teams

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

According to Clippers fans, Paul has nerve issue in the playoffs. He is likely to get injured.

My idea is that we don't play Chris Paul in the first 2 rounds, let him start the playoffs at Conference Finals.

Can we defeat healthy Thunder or healthy Jazz without Paul?

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What big moves did the Jazz make? Honest question, I haven't followed them.

I know the Thunder picked up Noel and Schroeder, great depth moves.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We're an old team. It's better to eliminate lower seeds asap than strategize and gamble.

That year Barkley sent us to the wcf, the Sonics were able to squeeze in another two elimination games while the jazz were sitting at home throwing slumber parties. Really cost us momentum.

Every po game is a risk.

P.s I do agree with the notion that mda doesn't know minutes restriction in the POs if it could kill him.

napalm06 likes this.