1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Osweiler Benched

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

Well regardless if we cut him, we still owe him until the end of next season. His contract is only guaranteed for 2 years $37 million, thank god its not the NBA. But the Texans won't cut him and probably use him as a $17 million backup to Savage.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Even though Bill O'Brien and Godsey needed benching too, I knew it was a matter of time before he had enough. You can not perform like that Brock at home and against 2-12 team. You lose this game and Tennessee win (in which they did) you will be playing the hoping game. Oh I hope the Titans lose one of their last 3 games. So hates off to O'Brien for benching that trash. That should've been done 3 weeks ago.

3. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

Regardless of how well and successful Tom Savage played this season, I hope the Texans will use all their resources to properly evaluate and draft a QB that can be groom for this team's future. The Texans should do what all the other successful NBA franchises do, which is acquiring a franchise QB via draft by properly evaluation. The chances of netting a franchise QB through Free Agency is much slimmer than through the Draft.

Tom Savage could either become a very good NFL QB that can boost the Texans to contender status or he could be a career backup. Regardless of his future potential, the Texans should not sit on their hands and wait but instead be more aggressive and smart in the draft to find the right QB to properly groom into an NFL franchise QB.

The chances of drafting a franchise Quarterback is slim but they will never have a chance if they never take a shot.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is a very crude and offensive post. I wanted Osweiller benched, but have nothing against the man personally. He is a great guy, but just made too many mistakes as QB.

houstonstime likes this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

*Achievement Unlocked*

If Brock is starting next week there is something deeply wrong with this org

ramotadab likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sometimes Fans know more than coaches

Rocket River

ramotadab likes this.
  9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

When is it ok with the talking heads to replace a quarterback? Last year BoB got filletted in the media for going to a backup too early in the season (game 2). This year he waits until week 15 and they still complain (at least the tv commentators).

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I think Tony Romo is still the most expensive benchwarmer in the league right now., Brock is close 2nd though

ramotadab likes this.
  11. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

Wow, I knew he was bad but didn't know it was that bad. Honestly I don't think Brock is actually that bad but I truly believe the pressure to succeed really got to him. There are countless amount of well established players and pro bowlers with incredible skills and talent that falters under pressure. It's fairly common for players to struggled after signing a substantial contract.

Brock Osweiler may not be an extraordinary generational talent like Aaron Rodgers, but he is talented enough to have some sort of success in the NFL. When Brock Osweiler signed that massive deal in Houston and bolting from the Super Bowl Champs, the pressure for him to succeed was insurmountable. It was doomed from the start. The immense hell-fire that rained upon Brock by John Elway and the Broncos, the City of Denver, the national media, and fans throughout the nation greatly increased the pressure to succeed. Though the pressure at first was ample, Brock Osweiler played well and even showed glimpses of a potential franchise quarterback during the preseason and the first two weeks of the season. The Snowball effect of pressure began taking shape after being trounce in week 3 by New England. The win against the Titans in week 4 managed to hinder the snowball slightly but the floodgates fully opened after the thrashing by the Vikings in Minnesota a week later.

After facing the Patriots and the Vikings, Brock's confidence dwindled and becomes panicky in the pocket. As the pressure continues to mount over his head, his performance becomes more erratic. Brock has regressed greatly at this point in the season and his back to back interceptions earlier today proved that there's no turning around for him. Bill O'Brien made the best decision he has ever made when it comes to quarterbacks when he decides to bench Brock Osweiler. Being benched is the best thing for Brock and the Texans right now. Benching was the proclamation of his failure. In spite of his pride being deeply wounded, the immense pressure to succeed and all the expectations is lifted from his shoulder. When Brock does get another opportunity he would be able to play freely without the strains and pressures that comes with a big contract, giving him a greater chance of reaching his full potential.

ramotadab likes this.
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

14. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Great news! Heard the crowd was load as hell when Brock was benched

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was at the game and saw the moment Savage was told to get ready. It was seconds after Brock's 2nd pick. No one noticed at first but there was a buzz as more and more people saw him taking snaps. The offense had a noticeable lift in spirits and energy. The crowd did cheer pretty loudly when he came on.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It wasn't really that awesome.. It had the feeling of cheering when someone gets hurt. Cheer for the team, no need to chant badly at Brock. Also, all credit was given to Savage at end of game chants instead of the whole team and defense.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If QB's shoulder all the blame with losses, it makes sense that they get more credit than they deserve with wins.

houstonstime likes this.
  18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Fair. I just felt bad for Oz. I mean he totally needed to be benched, it just was weird to hear the whole stadium like that. Also I wanted more credit to the defense, because they were insane.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The best thing about this is the fact that we dont have to see him get on the podium after every game and say the same ol thing over and over again.

"I know I didnt play well today, Im going to give it my all in the film room, Im going to give it my all in practice and I will get better." All in that same fake voice and tone I always thought he had. What a phony!

20. toycannon

toycannon Member

Give him one more chance. Start him next game and if he's failing again bench him for good and let Savage finish the game/season/playoffs!