1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

oswalt suspended 5 games?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BigM, Aug 23, 2002.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

apparently for throwing at alex gonzales, just saw that on the espn bottomline. was that the game when he and wood were tossed out? it doesn't seem right.

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That's absolute bull****. One of the worst decisions I've ever seen in sports.

It's bad enough that they have that ridiculous rule so that if a pitcher accidentally hits someone they are automatically ejected because of the other pitcher. But, for Wood to get no reprimand for breaking Lugo's arm and for Oswalt to get suspended for accidentally hitting someone is borderline insanity.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

That is terrible. i know he will miss only one start if it goes through but I saw the game and the umpire really blew it. he warned woods who was obviously not throwing at Lugo. this meant that anyojne else hit ting someone in the game was gonna get tossed. The MLB really needs to take a look at this rule. I have seen several instances where guys have been warned for hitting people that was obviously not done intentionally and then when an opponent retaliates I have seen them not get tossed. The rule is supposed to be left to umpire discretion but some of these umpires don't have a clue what that means.

CK

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

that is ridiculous, especially with wood not getting a suspension as well. he'll appeal and probably miss the start after his next one but are these things ever actually overturned?

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Suspensions are routinely reduced, but for a starting pitcher, a 5 game suspensions is equivalent to a 1 game suspension for a position player. I doubt Oswalt's will be reduced.

We'll see if Farnworth is suspended for intentionally hitting Biggio Tuesday night.

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Here's my take:

OF COURSE HE WAS THROWING AT THE GUY!!!!!

He's SUPPOSED to protect his teammates. That's part of the game...not worthy of a suspension. Anybody who thinks it is worthy of a suspension does not know baseball.

8. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I was watching the game as it happened, and it was a fastball that simply rode inside. Oswalt is not afraid to pitch inside, and he had good movement that night. I really don't think it was intentional.

9. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

According to ESPN Oswalt's going to appeal it.

10. Stevie Francis

i'm gla doswalt is gonna appeal cause 6 games in flat out insane. We need him so we can win 1 extra game too.

11. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Push his start back one game in the rotation - bam! No missed games.

The suspension is horse****, btw.

Oswalt pitches inside, a lot, I don't think there's conclusive evidence to say that he was throwing at Gonzales, as opposed to a fastball that just ran inside, because the pitch he threw looked to have too much movement to be a bean-ball, as I recall.

That doesn't even go into whether or not pitchers should be suspended if they throw at batters. my opinion - only if you can prove they were head-hunting.

However, for the sake of brevity, lets stipulate that Oswalt was throwing at Gonzales, and pitchers should be suspended for throwing at batters. Even then - to suspend Oswalt and NOT Wood is borderline r****ded.

12. Timing

Timing Member

This is surprising considering the way Pedro Martinez has been playing beanball with the Devil Rays for about 2 years now. I hope Roy doesn't shy away from pitching inside because of this suspension.

13. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms Member

Oswalt was suspended because he is known as a pitcher with good control and he hit the guy in the back. Wood has never had pinpoint control, so he could hit a guy and get away with it.

14. Major

Major Member

Oswalt was suspended because he is known as a pitcher with good control and he hit the guy in the back.

Also, Lugo had been hit hard earlier and Gonzales had hit a HR off of Oswalt earlier as well. May very well be just a big coincidence that he's the one that got hit, but MLB is trying to stop the players being hit in retaliations and this fits that formula.

I think a better punishment is a fine, though. That way, you hurt the player but not the team. Since the MLBPA is so powerful, suspensions are currently <B>paid</B> vacations, so this just hurts the team and not the player.

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

MLB should be worrying about bigger issues than this!

:mad:

16. moomoo

moomoo Member

Roy "The Assassin" Oswalt :D

Get it?! eheh... Get it? ehehmmmm...