1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando Sentinel: Fans likely won't give T-Mac quiet time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...58836.story?coll=orl-magic&ctrack=1&cset=true

By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted January 20, 2005

When Grant Hill returned to play in Detroit last week for the first time since he left in a sign-and-trade deal, the crowd stood and cheered during pregame introductions, giving him a welcome-home reception that watered his eyes.

That won't happen tonight.

Tracy McGrady may have provided some of the most scintillating moments in Orlando Magic history, but they have been clouded by an embarrassing finish, a poorly handled exit and a recent painful admission.

It might not be pretty.

Once the darling of Central Florida -- the local boy who came home to blossom into an NBA superstar -- McGrady remains one of the league's most popular players, but not here and not tonight.

"I'm going to boo him, and so will everyone else that I come to the games with,'' said season-ticket holder Stephan Kiehm of Orlando. "He did us wrong.''

McGrady comes to the TD Waterhouse Centre with the Houston Rockets for his first regular-season game against the Magic, the team that once treated him like a treasure but later turned and traded him, essentially blaming him for last season's collapse.

His remarks earlier this month, admitting he was so frustrated last season that he gave less than a 100 percent effort, aggravated many Magic fans, who already were stung by his inability to lead the team out of its funk.

Incensed over the collapse, Magic chief operating officer John Weisbrod orchestrated a trade this past summer that sent McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines to Houston for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato, the key to an complete restructuring of the team.

Earlier in the season, Weisbrod fired Coach Doc Rivers and General Manager John Gabriel, taking over his duties. McGrady, though, is the one who will take the brunt of the fans' frustration.

"I've moved on,'' McGrady said. "There will be mixed emotions [going back]. There will be boos because some people just don't understand. Some people still appreciate what I brought there for four years. Some people will just boo because they want to join in.''

Although both teams seemed happy with the trade, the Magic have benefited first. Francis doesn't have the all-around game of McGrady, but he has become an effective leader -- helped by the return of Grant Hill, who missed most of the past four seasons because of ankle problems.

Orlando (21-16) has won its past two games and can eclipse last season's victory total by winning tonight. Houston (20-19) had three more victories at this time last season.

The addition of McGrady was expected to make the Rockets immediate contenders in the tough Western Conference, but they have struggled to respond. Much-hyped center Yao Ming, now in his third season, has regressed, lacking the consistent aggressiveness he needs to become one of the league's best centers.

After trading Francis, they also are lacking badly at point guard. Lue was traded to the Atlanta Hawks. Charlie Ward was ineffective before getting injured. Gaines wasn't ready. They recently traded for veteran David Wesley, hoping he might be the answer, but now they aren't sure, signing out-of-work veteran Rod Strickland on Wednesday.

McGrady has altered his game to try to fit in with Yao. His scoring is down to 24.9 points per game, but his minutes (41.9 per game), rebounds (6.2), assists (5.7) and steals (1.62) are up.

He won back-to-back scoring titles in Orlando, often dominating games through his four seasons but failing to get enough support from his teammates. Even last season, admittedly depressed, he averaged a league-high 28 points. He scored a franchise-record 62 points against the Washington Wizards last spring.

He has shown flashes of his brilliance more than a few times this season. He hit a game-winning shot against the Philadelphia 76ers. He scored 13 points in the final 35 seconds of a come-from-behind victory against the San Antonio Spurs.

The possibility of him providing more than a few highlights tonight has the Magic expecting their third sellout of the season. Even if they boo, Magic fans know he could spoil their night.

McGrady's return to Orlando didn't get off to a good start, though. WKMG-Ch. 6 reported Wednesday night that he faces a lawsuit that says his Rottweiler bit a man who used to work at McGrady's Orange County home. The TV station reported that the lawsuit alleges that the dog bit the man in the face, and the man claims the dog was allowed to roam the house freely and attacked him unprovoked.

Tonight, though, the focus will be on the basketball court.

"I'm just going to play ball like I know I can play and try to get my team back on track,'' McGrady said. "With everything that went on this offseason, it's going to be spiced up a bit.''

McGrady won't be the only one trying to show what his former team is missing. Francis and Cato also have something to show their former employer. Yet it's McGrady's return home that will grab the attention. He offered no apologies Tuesday for his earlier remarks about last season that riled up the Magic faithful.

"I was just speaking my mind and how I felt on the inside dealing with last year. Emotionally, it was tough for me,'' he said. "I was frustrated. People took that to mean I gave up, but at the same time, if a guy goes out and slacks off, there's no way he's going to average 28 points. They misunderstood what I said.''

McGrady's presence has made the Rockets one of the league's most nationally televised teams. It was the same way when he played in Orlando, bringing attention to an average team.

"We're going to boo Tracy,'' said Magic fan Shantell Simpkins, who came to Tuesday night's game with husband Tyrone, both wearing Francis jerseys. "I'm mad at him for leaving, for asking out. Hey, I'm still mad at Shaq for leaving, too.''

Tim Povtak can be reached at tpovtak@orlandosentinel.com.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Classic. :D

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know he isn't going there. We should ban this guy's articles from the bbs forever!

Anyway nice read, I think this could be a good match up.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

He should be ashamed of himself. I'll bet he's a good friend of Will's.

5. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

If I were a Orlando fan I would be pissed too.... 1st we KILL them in the finals then we take thier franchise player for a lesser one... Who wouldnt be mad??? the only problem is they have the target on the wrong guy...

6. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

We weren't gonna go anywhere with the Francis combo but we haven't been doing much with the McGrady combo either..

but it sure as hell has more upside

7. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Are we this pissed @ Beltran?

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds like Houston Fans with Steve Franchise. . .except the not giving 100% thing

Hopefully No one will Boo Francis .. . well . .except on here
    but . .. likewise some give little appreciation for what he
    DID do . . more so that what he didn't do

is this Irony or Karma or what.
    At this point in the season . .this game is significant to both
    teams IMO

Rocket River

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no.

but too fair, Beltran seemed to be giving us his all.

10. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Some fans will boo T-Mac, just like everytime he's in Toronto. And everytime, he just put up an A-game, coz he sees that as motivation. He said many times that they missed him. Actually he's right. At the time he left, I really wanted him to be the focal point rather than his cousin. but now I have him back on my favourite team:)

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

A better example would be Houston fans and Scottie Quitten.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Quitten wasn't putting up 28pt a nite

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Boo is nothing. When Luis Figo transferred from Barcelona to Real Madrid in Spain, he was treated like the biggest traitor ever by the Catalonians. This is a part of sports everywhere, nothing new.

14. jherveymo

jherveymo Contributing Member

We haven't really gotten to see it yet, but McGrady strikes me as the type of player who would feed off of the boos ala Barkley. I used to laugh every time (after he was on our team) he would taunt the crowd into a frenzy by cupping his ear like he couldn't hear them and then shut them up by nailing the shot. I wouldn't expect such theatrics from T-mac, but I won't be surprised to see him go off if they are especially harsh.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The only thing Astros fans should be mad at Beltran for is using Uncle Drayton to drive up his price. I really think he had no intention to come back.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Mets is a better fit for Beltran. You have Clemens whether play or not in question, and other side you have 10 year younger Pedro and Anna Benson, easy choise for Beltran hands down. ;)