1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Orlando Sentinel] 11 NBA experts rank the Eastern Conference

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by abc2007, Aug 14, 2009.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...rn-conference-predictions,0,6255183.htmlstory

11 NBA experts rank the Eastern Conference

Ranking Team (First-place votes) Total Points
    1 Cleveland (5) 17
    2 Boston (6) 20
    3 Orlando 30
    4 Atlanta 52
    5 Washington 68
    6 Toronto 70
    7 Chicago 72
    8 Miami 80
    9 Detroit 102
    10 Philadelphia 106
    11 Charlotte 127
    12 Indiana 131
    13 New York 143
    14 Milwaukee 147
    15 New Jersey 155

The Orlando Sentinel asked 11 NBA experts from around the country to rank Eastern Conference teams. A team ranked first on a ballot received one point, while a team ranked second received two points and so on. The team with the lowest overall point total finished first overall.

Panelists: Sam Amico, editor, ProBasketballNews.com; Ric Bucher, NBA analyst/reporter, ESPN; Chris Colston, NBA writer, USA Today; Sean Deveney, writer, The Sporting News; K.C. Johnson, Chicago Bulls beat writer, Chicago Tribune; Steve Kyler, editor and publisher, HOOPSWORLD; Johnny Ludden, NBA editor, Yahoo! Sports; John Schuhmann, interactive writer, NBA.com; Barry Stavro, NBA editor, Los Angeles Times; Bill Walton, member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and analyst for ESPN; Lang Whitaker, executive editor, SLAM. Compiled by Josh Robbins

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Orlando still gets no respect.. oh well.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They were the 3rd seed last year, and have made some roster moves that may take adjusting.

4. sbyang

sbyang Member

Obviously it's the big three of Orlando, Cleveland and Boston, followed by a bunch of OK teams.

I feel that it's all about the matchups with the big three. Cleveland matches up with Boston well, Orlando matches up with Cleveland well, and Boston matches up with Orlando well.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

But they took care of Cleveland without Nelson. Shaq really the difference?

Paper, rock, scissors

6. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Can't disagree with you there. In my opinion, the Magic shouldn't have acquired Vince Carter. As I said in the Hedo thread, the Magic probably should have taken this Hedo-Shard Mismatch experience a step closer. It was one of the sole reasons why they managed to take out the Cavs. Though, in my opinion the Celtics probably would've swept them if Kevin Garnett was playing.

Either way, Magic are ranked correctly. They got better on paper, but as far as IQ and Defensively they've gotten much worse. There's no guarantee Jameer Nelson will return to All-Star caliber form either. Shaq will be capable of neutralizing Dwight Howard, which is why I favor the Cavs over the Magic at this point.

Magic lost their biggest mismatch and are now a conventional team.

7. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

who said these guys are experts...look at that panel...what a joke

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Philly should be in the playoffs, and toronto will still suck imo

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

People forget about Boston... and even though they may not be that deep or that they may have old players... if they regain that defense that they had in their championship year... they'll be deadly... competing with Orlando for that top spot... and I think that Boston is the only team (with that historical defense) that can challenge the Lakers in a finals series. Garnett is still an intense defender, he can lead their defense like he did a couple of years ago.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Cleveland now matches up a lot better with the Magic.

11. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

How anyone could rank Boston anything more than a distant third, considering we have no idea how healthy or good their best player will be next season, is ridiculous.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I just just posting on another site and a bunch of laker fans are bashing you for an article you wrote about Kobe. :)

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm totally with you. KG's health, along with Ray Allen being even more over-the-hill and the general age of their team puts huge question marks on the Celts. I think it's a stretch to assume their defense will be like two years ago. Everything went right for them that year. Won't happen again.

The Magic have the advantage over the Cavs IMO right now.

As a wild card, I want the Wizards to be good next season so Gilbert Arenas gets a chance to be in the spotlight. But something always goes wrong.

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Well... I'm assuming that they have a healthy Garnett... when I explain about what I said about Boston... and also assuming that Garnett still has that intensity on D... a lot of assuming yes.. but there's no reason not to think he can't do it, he has that attitude to want to play so badly... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

it goes...

LEBRON/SHAQ Happy Fun Time Hour

Big Three everyone loves to worship

and then this team that got to the finals...

16. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Celtics do have Rasheed Wallace now, who is one of the best post defenders in the league easily. Not to mention he will really spread the floor for the Celtic team for guys like KG, Pierce, and Ray-Ray. The only problem with him is if he'll get along with the rest of the team which he most likely will because Kevin Garnett will keep him in check.

17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Toronto 6? Just because they got hedo and... Jarret Jack? I see them barely sneaking into the playoffs as an 8th seed at best.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Rasheed turns 35 before the season starts. He ain't what he used to be, even when you account for some rejuvenated play on a good team. KG is 33 and won't be what he was 2 years ago even if fairly healthy. Ray Allen has significantly declined at 34. His playoff performance against the Magic was nothing short of pathetic. On the other hand, PP and Eddie House haven't shown any signs of decline so I'll cut them some slack. Can Rondo's growth take up the slack for Ray Allen's slippage over an entire season and playoffs? We'll see. I'm not sold on Glen Davis.

I dislike the guy, but I don't expect Rasheed Wallace to be a chemistry problem on the Celts. He will fit in. But they may have overall team chemistry problems, which bit them last season after the 27-3 start.

Anything is possible, but IMO the Celts need another magic carpet ride with nothing going wrong just to be a contender. I don't see that happening. The Magic will be a better playoff team than these geezers.

19. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

A decent forecast. The Cavs have retooled. The Celtics did the same and got healthy and the Magic renovated its line up that could compete with the Cavs and Celtics but needs adjustment and must develop chemistry. The rest is an open field.

20. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Yes the Celtics have gotten older. However, Ray-Ray, KG and Pierce are all All-Stars still...... You would not be able to list me 12 players better than those guys IN THE EAST. Rasheed Wallace is 35 yes....but he's still a threat shooting wise and he's still an excellent post defender. KG will have more room to operate along with Pierce and Rondo.

Ray Allen had a streaky playoff series against the Magic, but Who knows what will happen next time...

In my opinion, I see nothing the Magic can exploit against the Celtics especially if they get Kevin Garnett back and healthy. If Kevin Garnett did play in last season's series, The Celtics would've swept them easily. Rashard Lewis being guarded by Brian Scalabrine and Glen Davis was one of the reasons why the Magic won along with Hedo Turkoglu managing to come through in the Clutch and at the end of the series.

Hedo is gone, and Rashard will be checked by KG now. I see no advantages the Magic can use to overcome the Celtics.