1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Original 59 Diner Closed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SuraGotMadHops, Mar 4, 2016.

1. SuraGotMadHops

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, that really sucks. Before it was the 59 Diner it was my Grandfather's restaurant.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Great shakes, worst restrooms I've ever seen.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

lulz, I was just about to post this.

5. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I am not surprised. I loved that place when I was a kid but I don't remember the quality of the food. I last went about 5 years ago and it was TERRIBLE. It was a long wait, despite being one of 10 people there, for crappy frozen food. I have driven past the location by Willowbrook and it is empty. I don't know that I have ever seen more than 1 or 2 cars in the parking lot during lunchtime but it may differ at night and on weekends.

Those milkshakes were always awesome though.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Unless you are really young, when you were a kid it was a totally different restaurant.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Although I haven't been there in several years, i used to love that place. All I ever got was breakfast there and it's hard to mess that up.

8. SuraGotMadHops

I think they tried to expand too much and too quickly. A location opened and closed on Westheimer and Dunvale within months. I-10 location soon followed. I think that put a strain on the overall business and the original location suffered.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Their main problem is that they changed the model and cheapened the food to where they became a 2nd rate Denny's with a theme and then also went cheap on management. They were paying "managers" maybe a dollar above minimum wage....what quality of management do you get for that price?

Another issue is that they picked terrible locations. The Stafford location and the I-10 location were in terrible spots to generate business. Hell, most people don't even know that there was a short lived Missouri City/Sugarland location off of Highway 6 because of the awful location they picked.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This is a perfect example where free enterprise wins. Free to provide terrible management and terrible strategy, which impacted operations and food terribly. Accordingly, the market responded freely.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They opened one in The Woodlands last year and it's already closed. Heard nothing good about it.

12. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I just passed the location on Willowbrook. Saw an old guy walk up to the door, read some orange sign, turn around and head back to his car. I guess they are totally done.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah they all closed

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

This sounds like a sad pantomime. 59 Diner was probably the last thing that guy had going for him. And now he's dead.

15. Victorious

Victorious Member

16. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My loyalty to my employer ends the second I don't get paid. I'll never understand why people keep working at a place that can't afford to pay them.

18. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I remember when they announced the death of Osama Bin Landen in 2011, they were interviewing students live at the Stafford location who where studying there, thought that was an odd location to go interview random people

I loved their chicken/dumplings, going to miss that the most

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

Kids studied at 59diner??? :confused: