1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Oregonian] McMillan blows whistle on officials

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xelloss12, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Agreed. Nate saw that it worked for Adleman to complain to the media, now he does the same.

Still doesn't change the fact that his goons are manhandling Yao at every opportunity, or the fact that his team shoots jumpers all night.

2. AXG

AXG Member

Except for Game 2, which was horribly officiated both ways, I think the refs have been great this series. Portland is just a soft, finesse team. Teams like those don't get as many calls as those that take it hard to the rack.

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

If Nate or Roy would be 'touched' the way Yao has been by their twin twinkies, they would be knocked out cold.

And I have no problem w/ wanting a legitimately called game. Pryz & Oden would foul out sooner.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey Nate, here is an idea.....teach your team how to play defense WITHOUT fouling.

Yao gets screwed...2 hands on his back IS A FOUL.....

Stop whining and start teaching...

DD

5. mic

mic Contributing Member

I love how when Yao finally gets the proper calls, everyone goes into a frenzy. This is how Yao should be officiated. Otherwise, he can't do ANYTHING. He gets hammered in almost every game... it's nice to finally see him getting some calls!

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This thread got 2 stars.

DaDakota's right .. thread rating is broken.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is my point entirely....a good thread, and yet it got pounded.

DD

8. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

people here rate threads according to the degree to which they agree/like/support the content of the thread title.

this one being titled "mcmillan complaining about officiating" was destined to be one-star from the jump.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No, I wouldn't be pissed if Yao got a foul called on him for wrapping both of his arms around a dude, hooking a dude (on defense) for the entire possession to get him out of position, grabbing his jersey and not letting go as he moves across the paint, etc. Those aren't "touch fouls". Wrestling is not allowed just because my center is bigger than yours.

And trust me, if Yao were doing these things he would get the whistle very quickly, because I have seen him get plenty of them for what you could truly call touch fouls, or dudes flopping (see Game 2).

I do agree that the foul calling hasn't been consistent....because the ref's let them mug Yao for the first 3 games and finally decided to call it right in the 4th!!!!

10. mic

mic Contributing Member

I agree. Yao gets called for some of the weakest, practically nonexistent fouls. Other players can hook him left and right, and if he even gets a call, it's usually a late whistle. I'm so sick of people tearing into Yao without so much as a whistle. Finally, the refs get it right, and everyone whines and looks incredulous. That's why the reffing needs to be more consistent, so people won't think we're being favored. I think that's hardly the case.

11. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's why Nate is complaining, the inconsistency. If they had been calling it as they did in game 4, for the whole series, then there wouldn't be any problems. But when the defenders have been allowed to ride Yao across the lane while holding him and hooking him, for the first 3 games, its tough for a coach to accept that the rules will totally change in the middle of the series. I'd complain also, if I was the Portland coach.

Both coaches have expressed their frustration with the calls in the series, hopefully a happy medium emerges in game 5, Yao gets some calls but not all, and the Rockets win so we can just move on.

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Playing Utah in the last two playoffs, has really helped the Rockets in this series. I don't think Portland knew just what they were getting into when the regular season ended and the playoffs started. It's also great how Utah's season is over and we're still playing. :)

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I swear, I will call it like it is. If a charge gets called on the opposing team and I felt like it wasn't deserved, I will say so.

But THIS is ridiculous. I wish I knew how to make videos, because I could piece together a dozen clips of Pryzbilla and Oden literally bear-hugging Yao. There would be calls during the first two games where the Portland fans would scream bloody murder after a foul call because Pryzbilla would put his hands up like "What did I do?" Then the replay would show he was holding Yao's arms down away from the ball...but of course, it doesn't matter to opposing fans. Opposing home fans are irrational by nature. I screamed about fouls in Game 3 that I'm sure were wholly justified.

I'm sure the same thing is going to happen tonight, the poor Blazer fans are going to be out for blood when it comes to the refs.

And they'll probably get their calls. I'm not expecting the Rockets to win tonight. Portland's backs are against the wall, I understand that. But for god's sake, for your COACH to come out and whine about the fouls called on Oden and Pryzbilla in this series, that's just f-ing ridiculous. Yao is being hammered, and it's a shame he'll probably pick up 2-3 phantom fouls tonight.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Touch fouls on Yao, lol.

15. ppzh

ppzh Member

Excellent point.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It just seems like everyone wants to blame the refs be it the rockets fans or blazers fans.

17. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

If we get tagged by the refs tonight we will be screaming just like they are. Game 2 was ridiculous in the way it was called. Hopefully that won't be tonight's scenario.

We will win if we take it to them into the lane and across the lane. That makes their defense switch and move. If we lay back like we did in the third quarter Tuesday night we could lose. Getting their bigs in foul trouble is a key to me to win tonight.

18. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

Nate lost all the respect I had for him, what a lil b!tch.

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yup. Unfortunately people are totally missing the point of the rating system. That's why I never pay attention to them, but I guess I should start doing my part and help balance out the unnecessarily bad ratings.

20. somenobody

somenobody Member

If you shove, maul the guy you are defending, it is absolutely illegal. If officials call every fouls they committed to Yao, the two centers of Blazers can only play 20 minutes totally instead 48 minutes right now. The blazers are just seletively blind on their fouls. Stop whining, Trailbabies!