1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Optimism!] 5 reasons the Rockets should be a much improved team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 19, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I limited myself to 5 reasons, because its a round number. I think could have jotted down a couple more. :)

List your reasons why you think we'll be a much improved team.

(1) Defense should be significantly improved.

We've added two 7-footers to the roster that can both play. Sure, they're not mobile, but we won't have to worry near as much about being outsized in the middle. More size improves interior defense and rebounding. Top 10 in defense should be expected -- that's at least 5 more wins just there.

(2) Improving Perimeter Play

I think Brooks, Martin, and Budinger will all be significantly improved players. I know its just preseason, but I really like what I've seen so far from Brooks. He seems to be playing under control, and finding that right balance between getting others involved and scoring his own points efficiently. His mid-range game looks to be more polished, and that's the one area I really felt need to be great at to go to the next level.

Martin has looked terrific, and you can see that the work he put in during the offseason is paying off. If he can be healthy all season, he'll be our leading scorer. And Budinger looks like a seasoned-vet. His jumper looks much smoother, and his ability to score off picks reminds me of Peja Stojakovic.

(3) With Yao back, we have a strong post presence to complement our perimeter attack.

We had Scola and Landry last year in the post, which was nice. But they aren't Yao. This year, our post player will be attracting double and sometimes triple teams. That will open up three-point shooting opportunities and get us into the penalty faster.

(4) Ability to sustain injuries

Our depth chart is insane:

(PG) Brooks, Lowry, Ish
    (SG) Martin, Lee, Taylor
    (SF) Battier, Budinger, Jeffries*
    (PF) Scola, Hayes, Patterson
    (C) Yao, Miller, Hill
    * More of a 4, but I wanted to make it symmetrical

Any of them are capable of being rotation players this season. I'm not nearly as concerned about injuries as I've been in the past.

(5) More flexibility with player combinations.

We can matchup with virtually anyone. We've got 7-footers to matchup against big teams. We've got mobile bigs (Hayes, Jeffries, Hill) to matchup against small-ball teams. We've got good wing defenders (Battier, Lee, ... possibly Taylor?) to throw against the premier scorers in this league. We've got bigs who can stretch defenses. We've got 3 post up options in Yao, Scola, and Hill. We've got multiple perimeter players who excel both in isolation and moving without the ball. Our team is stacked with accurate 3-point shooters.

When was the last time our roster had this sort of flexibility?

7 people like this.
  2. Road Rash

Road Rash Member

agreed.

6 - i think Budinger's potential is extremely high, i think he'll have a break-out year. His offense has always been good, but he's getting comfortable now, his shots coming off picks are just beautiful. He does have an inside game which critics don't seem to recognize. He may not be posting anybody up right now, but he has the ability to drive through the lane and finish, as well as some nice crossovers and getting to the rim. I think he's got alot in his game than we've seen so far.

Also, his defense has improved a lot and he is a solid defender. You can tell he does put emphasis on that side of the court. He's very alert and energetic on D, i think with a little more experience (probably this season) he'll be considered an above-average defender.

I believe he will replace Shane's starting position before the season is over. Like when Scola took over Chuck's position a few years back after consistently being more productive...

last thought, i think Budinger has All-Star potential. Not saying he's going to live up to that, but he's got all the tools and talent.

1 person likes this.
  3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Yao Yao Yao Yao Yao

Improved depth is a big factor.

The develop of the young fellows.

4. redao

redao Member

Rockets will be much improved from a 42 win team to a 48 win team.

Yao wont play much.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

-1 No Landry =(

6. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Drama-free start.

Just a bunch of easy-going guys that wanna win.

7. AQS18

AQS18 Member

Landry for Hill!

Get R Done Morey!

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who is the leader of this team?

9. AQS18

AQS18 Member

Maybe Battier? Yao?

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

agree with all 5...

looking at that depth chart...i wonder if they would consider throwing in chuck at the 3, if battier suffers an injury. He's been durable and qwe also had tmac, so no reason to use chuck there in the past...but i'd like to see what he can do against someone like a Rudy Gay, ron artest, etc...of course bud is the back up, but defensively he still needs work...and i think that would give us a better balance, for example:

Brooks
    Martin
    chuck
    Scola
    Yao

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Good thread... Common Sense points that the trolls will find a way to dispute.

This team is so much improved over that team that went 7 games against the Lakers 2 years ago. But don't take my word for it, listen to what Adelman says, he will be happy "if we can open up healthy with this team... "we are certainly making progress,". It may not sound like much but he has never seemed more enthused before the start of the season.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree with all you said Durvasa. I really like #5 and the ability to finally go big, small, fast and grind it out half court style. Finally guys like Hayes will be used in matchup shutdown situations where he is most effective. I think Lee is really going to impress everyone before its all said and done. The team is scary deep.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There are two types of leadership from players:

(1) Vocal leaders who understand the game, teach others how to prepare. The younger, less experienced players look up to them and learn from them. They are like extra coaches on the bench or on the floor.

Who we got: Battier, Hayes, Miller

(2) Quiet leaders that lead by example. They are the ones the team looks to score key points and produce night in and night. They are the rocks of the team.

Who we got: Yao, Scola, Brooks, Martin.

I'm not worried about lack of leadership.

14. liljojo

liljojo Member

Your #4 should be changed to "Depth"

"Ability to sustain injuries" just sounds gross.

15. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

Thanks for being an optimist! I believe.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

1) Yao
    2) a 7 footer in Miller who already knows the system
    3) a true back up SG in Lee
    4) a whole year of Martin
    5) (Ariza)

17. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

Chase will never steal Shanes starting position. He's already more productive, but coach keeps Shane on for defensive presence while having enough firepower off the bench to beat the opponents bench team to create a lead.

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I hope you're being sarcastic b/c if not you're clueless.

No way we win fewer than 52 games.

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I agree, I really don't worry as much as in th past if one of our players goes down, bcuz our depth is just stacked with player that have the ability to be starters on other teams.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Don't underestimate the difficulties teams face when their best player is in and out of the lineup. If the Yao schedule remains 24 minutes a night and only half of back to backs this team won't win 50 games.