1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Optical Illusion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CountyClerk, Jan 31, 2010.

1. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

Shift your eyes around the girl will change directions

[​IMG]

2. yo

yo Contributing Member

Why is this an illusion? The left one is going clockwise and right one is counter.

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I see nips!!

My old biology teacher showed us this. Said there might be some correlation between which way you see the girl spinning at first and your use of left brain vs. right brain or something. I didn't really buy it. But, kind of interesting

4. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Maybe its too late for this. :confused:

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

The colors on each leg are different; hence the illusion. Look at the leg that is spinning on the left image and the right image.. they are not the same color.

Game over

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    That has nothing to do with it. The OP posted a pretty bad version of this. The original pic has only one lady, and I think it's solid grey. I'll try and find it

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, the original version has just the middle image. I think this version exists because once people see the dancer turning one way, it can be hard for them to see it spinning the other way. With this version, if you look at the left image, the middle one seems to be spinning clockwise whereas if you look more towards the right image, the middle dancer appears to be spinning counter-clockwise.

8. YourSecretLover

didnt we do this before.

9. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

Bingo, that's why i said to shift your eyes around

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yeah, you got it Cannonball. Here's one of the many articles on it:

[​IMG]

http://www.illumine.co.uk/resources/brain-fitness/spinning-lady.html

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Now it's back to clockwise. I hate this thread.

13. Asian Sensation

It's not a woman. It's actually a hermaphrodite.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

15. chonox

chonox Member

same here :S

trippy ish, it didn't help my headache at all...

16. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I know, lies! The image resets every 60 sec or so and changes direction by itself. Not cool to mess around with people's heads at this hour lol.

17. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Yes, we've gone though this one before.

I was looking at one another illusion the other day that I thought was very interesting.

[​IMG]

The squares marked A and B are the same shade of gray.
    I went thought a paint program to manually verify that the colors are same as well.

The explanation for this is contained here: http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_illusion.html

18. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

This one is better.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-khCAf1tdCY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-khCAf1tdCY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Actually the illusion is the result of the lack of depth and shadow. The two frames on each side with the colors demonstrate that effect. A black silhouette rotating without depth is hard to distinguish. Also the direction is determined by which feature you focus on, the leg, the torso or the head. Each frame of the animation will have two possible directions either you see the leg in front or spinning behind the other. Again because there is no depth, the poses are the same at each interval. Stare at it long enough and you will realize there is no uniform directional movement, just a string of frames depicting different poses that one has to perceive direction based on the bidirectional nature of the illusion.