1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opportunities aren't lost, others take advantage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Aug 23, 2000.

1. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

I think the recent 4 team collaspe has given the Rockets a unique opportunity. There are now players on the Sonics and Knicks that have had their "little" (violins playing in background) feelings hurt and want out BAD. There is an opportunity somehow for the Rockets to take advantage of the broken pieces and not just pick up Taylor but also work something to pick something else up.

Creating a three or four team trade that would involve us sending Drew, Walt, 4.5 exception and the two #1's (Detriot and Orlando) to Seattle for Vin Baker, (now wait, before you say that's too much or too little). Then Seattle send Walt and the one #1 or the exception for Lattner. We could then trade Lattner to Los Angeles for Rice and a future pick (if we can get it), then ship Rice and Baker and a future #1 for Ewing and Houston. The Seattle gets Ewing.

At that point Taylor would be up for grabs. But we would end up Houston, and get rid of Walt and Drews salary while only having to give up two low first round picks. We would have a more attractive team for Taylor, with tons of cap space avaiable at the end of the season.

So in a nut shell the teams would get this:

Houston:

Allan Houston (via New York)
    Mo Taylor (possibly w/ 2.5 exception with the promise of a big payoff if he plays well)

Seattle

Ewing (via New York)
    Drew
    a #1 and 4.5 mil exception (which they could use on Taylor {we run that risk} )

Detriot

Walt (descent small foward)
    2 #1's or a #1 and the 4.5 exception

LA

Lattner

New York

Vin Baker
    Rice

I'm sure if this would work under the cap, but it seems like all teams benefit more from this trade then the one that just died.

As far as the Rockets are concerned they come out can get a very good player out of this deal. Worst case senario, Houston does not work out at the 3, we trade Houston or Mobley during the draft to move up to the #1 spot and grab that great high school center everyone been bragging about.

I know its alot to digest but after thinking about it alittle, let me know your thoughts [​IMG]

------------------
    Life is but a dream

[This message has been edited by Rocketman2000 (edited August 23, 2000).]

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

.....and I think it's gonna be a long,long time 'til touchdown brings me round again to find, Oh NO, NO, NO....Rocketman! Burnin' up his fuel up here alone!

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

3. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

NO NO ...

Why don't you tell me what you really think. I think its a pretty sound post.

------------------
    Life is but a dream

4. Thanos

Thanos Member

So you´re saying that we should go to all this trouble just to get Houston (and to play the 3, which he never did) and eventually lose Taylor (which we would´ve already lost if king kong had happened) to Seatle?

Yeah, it makes perfect sense. How come no one thought of this before?

------------------
    "The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It´s Heaven and Hell!"

5. Sweet P

Sweet P Member

E for effort there, Rocketman. Of course, your only reward will be heaps of abuse from our fellow posters, but try not to take it personally, as there is a decidedly surly mood on the board with all this Falk-like Mofoness, and no one is immune. Getting Houston for Drew and Walt and landing Taylor in the process would undoubtably be a psitive move, even if we did not keep Houston for long. And the way you got there was pretty creative, but probably too creative for a 5 team deal to actually work.

------------------
    "Someday I'd like to do something really meaningful with my life. Like burn Stockton to the ground!" - Henry Rollins

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I think someone has missed a BIG point of the original King Kong trade. Not only did the Sonics want to get rid of Baker's contract, they wanted to MAKE ROOM AT THE 4 for Taylor. With this scenario, he is signing a multi-year deal with the Sonics and NOT taking our 2.5m exception.

So for all this trouble, we get Allen Houston? Forget it.

If were gonna lose Drew and Walt and picks, I want Antonio Davis or JYD Williams (who is gonna be ALOT tougher to get if the Mavs or Faker$ get Laettner).

------------------
    GATER

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Allan Houston has always looked good playing PF though....

------------------

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

What would Allen Houston bring the Rockets that we don't already have?

We have Shandon and Wiz, who both can swing between the 2 and 3. I don't get all this talk of bringing Houston to Houston. I fail to see the need for him. We need big rebounding defensive players.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

9. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Not to mention there are rules in the NBA that stipulate X (what is it 60 days or 90) amount of days must pass before a traded player can be traded again.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

10. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

I like the first idea better, but instead of a 4-way deal we just do a 2-way deal with Sonics and keep Vin Baker, that will make as an instant contender in the playoffs.

------------------

11. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Rocketman: Didn't mean to irritate you. You put a lot of work into that idea-- it's even plausible, but I dont' think it will benefit the Rockets that much.

Houston, as in Allan, would be a nominal improvement and we wouldn't get Mo either because you've empowered Seattle to compete for him better than they can now.

My comments were as much inspired by your handle as your topic!

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.