1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opening Day Roster 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, Oct 10, 2017.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

When did he average 8.8apg under MDA? Am I missing a part of my memory because I can't recall that he ever started for him?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I had to look it up, too. Kudos to @ashleyem

Kendall Marshall as PG for D'Antoni at the Lakers

SeasonTmPosGGSMPFG%3P%ASTTOVPTS
    2013-14LALPG544529.0.406.3998.82.88.0

#22 heypartner, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    BigMaloe likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Deron Williams is still a free agent, I wouldn't mind signing him if he'd accept being a 3rd string PG

BigMaloe likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

I'd also look into trying to trade for Mario Chalmers, he's looked pretty good so far in preseason coming off his torn Achilles

Pen15clubber and BigMaloe like this.
  5. BigMaloe

Kudos to Ashley I completely forgot about he mda in lala land disaster and forgot he started.

Edit: Looking into it, he really does suck and mda can really make anyone look good. His advanced numbers from any year suck. He didn't look great but it was clearly the high point of his career under mda.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I understand the sentiment---maybe he's a good basketball player---but I wonder if the only development he'll see under D'Antoni might involve making sure he doesn't forget the coconut-frosted donut when he makes the run for the team to Shipley's.

Then again, if we can deliver some blowout victories, maybe he'll get some 4Q PT. Unless Qi gets it first.

D-rock and heypartner like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it seems like D'Antoni hates him. The fact that he is so outwardly in love with Zhou pretty much spells the end for Nanu.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

jarrett jack would have been a perfect fit, and is also buddies w/ cp3. moving on, trey burke is still out there.

D-rock likes this.
  9. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

Wow I totally forgot Trey Burke was still out there, I wonder why we (or any team) arent giving him a shot on their preseason roster at least

10. alethios

alethios Member

Yeah and he's got a hell of an arm. Just don't ask him to shoot from past half-court. :eek:

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would give Jamaal Franklin a shot. Not just a bigger point (6'5 and 7ft winpspan) but prolific rebounder and can defend 4 positions.

Work ethic and motor are off the charts. Aggressive scorer mentality so not just a defensive player.

12. j@amc

j@amc Member

I hope Onuaku puts it together. He needs to show a lot of maturity down with RGV because Qi has the work ethic and drive. He's made huge strides. They will be an interesting pair to watch for the Vipers.

RudyTBag likes this.
  13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

heyp, I think the Bogut situation is distinct because he was TRADED again (as opposed to being waived). Since it was the act of the Rockets TRADING Wiltjer that prohibits them from re-signing him for a year, I think the league draws a distinction between a subsequent trade and a subsequent waiver.

I'm sure the Rockets have investigated the intricacies of this rule, but my inclination is to say that the Rockets CANNOT sign Wiltjer this season.

BigMaloe and heypartner like this.
  14. fattz

fattz Member

3rd string —> he can pass and shoot. He would sign a nothing contract —> better option than Brown on the court. His knee is healed. KM just needs the right spot to be productive.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I dont think chris johnson deserves a roster spot. I would much rather use one of the 2 way spots on Brazilian PG

16. carib

carib Member

I made a post about the issue of a 3rd string point guard in the event Paul or Harden is injured in another thread.

carib said:
    I like how Isaiah Taylor played in the Summer League, but I was hoping the Rockets would add another veteran in case any of our play making backcourt players go down with an temporary injury. As far as I know the following guys are still looking for a team.
    1. Rodney Stuckey
    2. Sergio Rodriguez
    3. Norris Cole
    4. Trey Burke (apparently he turned down the Thunder)
    5. Leandro Barbosa

Which one of these guys would you like the Rockets to try to pick up.
    Last year due to injury the Rockets had to rely on Tyler Ennis to sometimes run the offense and he struggled. Perhaps due to a combination of going through a NBA point guard learning curve and the Rockets were not the right fit for they way he likes to play. With the West stacked and a lot of competition for the top four spots the Rockets could add an experienced player in the event one of play makers are temporarily hurt.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. BigMaloe

I didn't even realize barbosa was available.

I would put him at the top of my list. He can shoot and has familiarity with mda and this offense. Should be cheap.

Sergio is another interesting player I wouldn't mind me.

Trey Burke isn't probably 3rd and the only free agent I would have consider a solid addition

Edit: after looking at the numbers I'm not sure who I would like lol.

This is why I trust morey

#37 BigMaloe, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sergio signed w/ CSKA Moscow

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Morey needs to be out there looking for another veteran PG

20. Nivos

Nivos Member

I know a 4th guard is a need for this team and I know that it looks like our big rotation is set. But is it really? I think in a way its not less important than the guard position with Nene missing many games, and Black is iffy in his offensive skill set and size.
    Again I'm eying Tyson Chandler that i think is a great fit for the system, veteran like Dantoni likes and can still contribute as a rim protector, rebounder and picknroll master.
    But, his salary is 13 mil/yr. Can we find a way to get to that number at all under the hard cap or is it not realistic without losing one of the big pieces?
    Will be interested to hear if can be done theoretically from one of the cap experts here.