1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opening Day 25-man Roster predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Commodore, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

H1INCCHH!!2!

Joe Joe likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

3. Buck Turgidson

How about 1 good one? Let's not get greedy.

4. Buck Turgidson

Is that all?

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hinch is just a figurehead acting on behalf of Clutchfans. He will do as we say or will disappear into obscurity.

6. Buck Turgidson

,,,be replaced by Ground Control Bot 7000.

According to a lot of people that's all you need.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I agree with you--only suggesting what might happen given that he's been a career RF, that we have a superior defender on the bench, and that CF is perceived to be more taxing. (If nothing else, CFs have more opportunities than RFs.)

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

True, but I'd say career RF is a bit of a misnomer.

He was always a CF and only ended up in RF thanks to Fowler then Gomez.

Not sure on that CF always having more opportunities stat... and as it is, corner OFers run on every fly ball to CF.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On average RFs get about 70% less opportunities regardless of how often they run. CF isn't harder to play than RF. It just has more opportunities which makes range there more important. If anything, RF has harder plays...just not enough to make it as valuable a position as CF.

10. Buck Turgidson

I'm gonna have to strongly disagree with this.

No Worries likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You can strongly disagree all you want, but CFs have an easier job per play than a RF as they don't have to deal with wicked slices, hooks as often, or bad bounces off the wall. CFs are expected to cover more ground and have to make hard plays more often, but corner OFs have opportunities to run things down in the gap as well.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Then why are most of the best defensive outfielders throughout history put in center field?

No Worries likes this.
  13. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

because stupid manager like HINCH think that they can PLAY people werever they want

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I disagree with this as well. You're intimating that slices, hooks, and bounces are more difficult than overall space coverage (including quick jumps, speed, etc.) over a larger area.

I'd argue that the former is a skill that one learns based on hand-eye coordination--things all ML OFers should have in spades--and improve with practice, which is available to all. However, the spectrum of athleticism, speed, and ability to read and break on a ball appears to have a larger spread within ML OFers imo--and is not something you can just add easily with practice. I think the latter is what makes a better CFer and why it's "harder".

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Let's predict today's lineup:
    CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    DH Beltran
    RF Reddick
    C McCann
    1B Gurriell
    LF Aoki

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or on the flip side, how do some MLB teams survive with less than stellar OF's put in CF? (In Astros-centric history, they've not only survived, but won games, in years where they put Berkman and Biggio in that position). Hell, they made a move to go to Chris Burke (who has limited CF experience) in the NLCS! Just to get his bat in the everyday lineup.

I think there's validity to both points. Yes, on average CF's get more opportunities... but they're not all difficult plays.

There are also some corner OF's that literally can't play anywhere else... and then there's guys like Springer who run/track every fly ball that's on that half of the field (Regardless of whether it was to RF or CF), and he's going to give up his body on every play regardless of whether he's in CF or RF.

And in the end, above average CF's who can hit get paid more, and are in much higher demand, than above average corner OF's who can hit.

#216 Nick, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Barring some type of unexpected, epic collapse, I think the top five is set in stone (when those five are all playing, which will be most days).

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Marisnick came in as a defensive replacement, and he did play CF. It's just one game, but that never happened to Gomez or Fowler, so I'm guessing Springer doesn't have an issue with it.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I didn't know where else to put this. I went to a bar last night for trivia, I didn't give very much help to my team, but one of the bonus questions was "Please write up to 25. Name all the members of the Astros roster, not the 40 man but the main one. One point for all correct, one subtracted for all incorrect"

I grabbed the paper and flew through 24. I probably could have done numbers for most too, it felt good to contribute lol.

*The one I forgot: Gustave. If only trivia was happening during the last inning lol.

20. Buck Turgidson

OK. Just curious, but have you ever tried to do it? Either...both?