1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open 3 Point Shot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We simply have to hit those
    Seriously.. . . . Russ and Harden would probably have an extra 5 asst each
    if we simply hit those shots.

BMac is probably the best catch and shoot guy
    PJ in the Corner

EGO, House and Rivers seem to hesitate too much

Everyone needs to work on Catch and Shoot

Rocket River

beard4life, Deckard, Remlap and 10 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This was supposed to be one of Covington's strengths. We point to 4-10 and say that's a good game, but that's the definition of an average game. Not bagging on him specifically, just saying that we have too many shooters who feel like they're shooting well when they shoot an NBA average game from 3. How come we never have the random bench guy that goes 7-9 for no reason?

Remlap and bj3175 like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Nobody besides Harden was detrimental from 3. Take away him and we did just fine.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

lol. You right.
    I cannot say we are horrible but just seems like we miss them at the wrong time maybe

Rocket River

bj3175 likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It's not just this game

Rocket River

6. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I see the offense working exactly as intended, generating an open look...and then clank! It's disheartening sometimes, and frustrating too. But I hope the good guys do as you say and work on those catch and shoot chances. Mclemore doesn't hesitate, so I usually trust him with the open look. Everyone else I go into quick prayer mode (except for Harden, I think he's actually almost automatic when he's open).

If we can hit the open shots at say, league average level I feel like we'd be almost impossible to beat.

7. HP3

HP3 Member

Harden hits those shots on a regular basis. Do you guys really just want James to take less shots, when hes on, we consistently get wins.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't want him to take less shots. I want him to recognize when he's bricking 3's to attack the basket more or even shoot a mid range or two. He was like 9-10 in the paint today, but was happy to hoist 3's he wasn't hitting instead.

Sure. But did anybody really think we were stocked with knockdown shooters? You have to pay up for those guys.

9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It’s why we need to resign Green

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Shooting just south of 50% is an average game??? LOL

But I agree that our bench needs upgrades everywhere.

topfive, pr0wler and DeBeards like this.
  11. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

If your star player has 15% in three-point shots and your game system is "small ball" there is no way to win. It's as simple as that.

12. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

What exactly is the adjustment when the 3 isn't falling? Just keep launching? I recall this mentality (27 MISSED 3's) it what cost us a championship. We can't be that ****ing oblivious.

PWR and juanm34 like this.
  13. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

You are correct. According to Matt Bullard they should just keep shooting and bricking shots... of course I do not agree with Bullard at all - they should find a hot hand or change the strategy, like driving more towards the basket and looking for fouls - Harden wasting time as usual with his dumb dribbling should be minimized. or how about playing with a center? This small ball does not work.

bj3175 likes this.
  14. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Harden also hits way more difficult 3pt shots..... off his own dribbling. He's not getting wide open standing 3pt shots most of the time.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

going to the paint the whole game is not ideal man. Dudes get tired.

Remlap likes this.
  16. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Make more baskets = Make more Wins..

17. Asian Sensation

# 1 in 3 point attempts by a long shot.
    # 22 in 3 point FG% at 35%
    -Our best 3 pt shooter is Bmac at 38%
    -League average 3 pt percentage is 36%
    -Only other player on our roster that’s above average from 3 is Danuel House.
    -Harden, Tucker and RoCo are all right around league average.
    -Rivers is below.
    -Everyone’s fav “Sharp shooter” Ego is shooting 33% which actually isn’t too far off his career percentages.
    -WB is at 23% thank god he’s limited his attempts lately.

We’re old, slow, small, not athletic, lack ball movement, inconsistent, struggle defensively and have the wrong personnel for whatever it is we’re trying to accomplish.

18. JackLordsHair66

Yup these are the sobering facts !!! This team isn’t winning a championship and in fact I think we struggle to get out of the first round at this point. A pretty good argument could be made that dallas with Luca are better than us and OKC May well be better overall with their depth and defense.

Stick a fork in this small ball BS it’s not going to be a consistent winner because we just don’t have good enough shooters on this team. Very frustrating to say the least !

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

An NBA 3 point average is about 3.5 out of 10. Average.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

League average is 36%. Covington shot 40% vs. Jazz last night. So RoCo shot ABOVE average from 3.

Learn math.

rockbox, pr0wler and gfab-babyboi like this.