1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Only way the Rockets win the Championship next year is to...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FANfrom86toNow, May 26, 2019.

1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Trade for both AD and Butler. Here's how and why:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5f4dc9f

Rockets In: Anthony Davis, Jimmy Butler
    Rockets Out: Clint Capela, Eric Gordon, PJ Tucker, Nene, 4 1st round picks

Pelicans In: Clint Capela, PJ Tucker, 2 first round picks
    Pelicans Out: Anthony Davis

76ers In: Eric Gordon, Nene, 2 first round picks
    76ers Out: Jimmy Butler

Why do the Pelicans do it? Can't they get better offers? I'm not so sure because it will still be a rental of Davis. No matter how bad Clint played against the Warriors, he is still one of the best young centers in the league on one of the best contracts for that position. He has outplayed Towns and Gobert in the playoffs and regular season. He has continued to improved every single year, so there is no reason to believe that he won't continue to do so. While Harden and CP3 make him effective, he will still be very effective working with Jrue Holiday! They don't have to worry about him requesting a trade or trying to leave before his contract is up.

Getting PJ Tucker gives their team some more solid veteran play, a lock down defender, and someone that has chemistry playing with Clint. Along with Zion, and Jrue, this team could make the playoffs for sure if they just finish out the roster decently. Will they contend for the next 2 or 3 years with that team? No they won't, but they will build some playoff experience as they build even more around Zion as their new franchise player. Plus they get two more 1st round picks to build with.

You can say that Boston or someone else can beat that package, but what center is as young, growing and on as good a contract as Clint that they can get back, plus a player like PJ and 2 first round picks for a potential rental? I would love to hear what you think is better that teams are willing to do for an AD potential rental.

To get Butler, he has to do like CP3, tell Philly he is leaving unless they let him opt in and trade him to Houston. If that happens, then Ego plus a Nene that agrees to play one more year to get more minutes backing up Embid (assuming Nene thinks he can play more minutes), plus 2 first round picks would be a great return for Philly verses loses Butler for nothing. And if you can get Butler for that package and only 1 first round pick, plus maybe a second rounder, then that gives you one more pick to add to the NOs package for AD to make it 3 first rounders plus Clint and PJ.

We lose KEY players and picks, but we have a core of:

CP3, Harden, Butler and Anthony Davis for the potential next 4 years.

With this core, you can give all of your mid-level or whatever is necessary for a player like Austin Rivers. And then try to keep players like House, Faried (who I think you can play with AD), G.Green and our developing youngsters. You can also try to sign Shump and trade him later for another piece to the puzzle. And of course you hope that with a line up like the above, that players like a D Jordon or others might want to take a discount to come play on a potential championship team.

Maybe I'm crazy to think that NO or Phillly would do these trades, but to me they make sense not just from a Rockets' homer view. And I see it as really the only way that we will win the Championship next year. As a matter of fact, of course if this all happened, we could replace the Warriors dynasty with our own for the next 4 or 5 straight trips to the finals with rings. Even playing 5 verses 8!

Thoughts??

Highlyrated likes this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

I guess this means the Rockets won't be winning a championship next year.

yixiixiy, SkareKrow, fattz and 13 others like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

imagine trading AD for a package headlined by Clint Capela...it’s time to be realistic

4. FANfrom86toNow

Honestly I am. Clint outplayed some of the best centers in the league. No one is beating GSW as currently constructed. What package are teams honestly going to give up that is better than Clint, PJ and 2 or 3 first rounders? Clint is has been top 1 or 2 in FG% the lst 2 years, and top 5 or 10 in rebounding. Had a bad playoffs after he got sick, and GSW made him look bad. But he still has value.

5. FANfrom86toNow

Probably won't without these trades honestly. Who else is going to put us over the top? Who else is giving up more for an AD rental?

LUK3 likes this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I hope it happens. Why not lol

Ramo$e and LUK3 like this.
  7. FANfrom86toNow

Lol. Someone cue up the Morey the wizard playing chess pic while everyone else is playing checkers.

Ramo$e likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

they can ask the Knicks for the 3rd pick and whatever young talent they have like Mitchell Robinson who is on a cheap deal if they want a Capela clone

they can still go to Boston and ask for Tatum who even tho he isn’t as hyped as he was last year is still easily more valuable than Capela

Clint is a product of James Harden, David Griffin is smart enough to realize that, and then 34 yo PJ and Rockets picks that CF values a lot more than the rest of the league...it ain’t happening

the Jimmy Butler trade is far more realistic, and even then, it all depends on if he wants to come here instead of seeking an immediate max deal in free agency and opts in...so it’s all up to him

Garner and RyanB like this.
  9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Okay @Clutch .. Our delusions are almost on par with Knick fans before the draft.. We gotta stop this madness!

tinman likes this.
  10. FANfrom86toNow

Two things, I agree on Butler in that I stated clearly that it only happens if he does a CP3 and Philly takes that package over losing him for nothing, which I think they would. So that's contingent A.

Second, you said that they could "ASK" the Knicks for the #3 pick plus whoever, whom I don't think is as good as Capela or has a track record of outplaying Towns and Gobert in the playoffs, or Clints stats. I already mentioned that Clint is a product of Harden and CP3, but Jrue also has a history of being able to lob and feed a big guy, i.e. AD. Plus Jrue is a lock down defender at PG. Plus they are getting Zion. Clint is a great young big to grow with Zion as he continues to develop his skills, only being 24. I'm not just being a homer, Clint is still one of the best available Centers in the league and on a very value contract.

So do the Knicks give up the #3 pick plus whoever NO wants for an AD potentail rental? Does AD guarantee the Knicks that he resigns? Me personally, I'm not sold on Tatum, but that's just me.

11. FANfrom86toNow

Quit calling Clutch like he is your daddy and just make some better trades that you think both teams will do before this one. I know there are better talents than Clint, but who is willing to give them up for a potential AD rental?

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Capela to knicks for 3rd pick, then send to pelicans,

4 max is nice.

13. FANfrom86toNow

Why would the Knicks do that?

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

They most definitely can do better. Believe me.
    /

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

Knicks have better chance to make bad trade than pelicans.
    3rd pick to induce pelicans.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  17. FANfrom86toNow

What better deal is NO going to get? Or do you just believe that they will hold on to AD?

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There’s this fantasy where everyone in the league wants to trade for our players not named Harden

This fantasy only happens on Clutchfans

Cuongzilla and javal_lon like this.
  19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

If I treated him like my dad, he'd be a sperm donor.... But in response to your question, Toronto showed you what a 1 year rental can do for your franchise... But we don't need AD unless we change the system..

20. FANfrom86toNow

I'm listening? Tell me what teams will send them what exactly and why for an AD rental? What team gives up more and still an AD rental makes them the favorite for the Championship?