1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

One of the best defensive plays in the history of Jazz Basketball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Matador defense.

His Homeland taught him well.

Zboy likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Did D work in games 1 & 2?

No one is comfortable shooting with a player on your back, that is not how anyone is taught to play D at any level.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

3-0 and potential sweep makes it pretty stupid. I will be presumptuous and you continue to play impartial.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. MD_in_Training

Huh? The majority of humans on this planet can't get their hand within 6 inches of the rim.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If they not going underhand to the basket/board and guiding the ball then yes, they are not attempting a layup.

I guess you have to take vertical distance in account for midgets too lol.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do you know what “outside the paint” means? Is this you being “intentionally obtuse” again?

A jump hook in the lane is not a layup or dunk either. Who the hell would call that a midrange shot, other than you?

As I already said, the definition of “midrange” is not important to the point I was making. It’s a semantics argument that I’m not interested in getting into, even though you are plainly mistaken about it.

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

It's a good thing for them too. We are up 3-0 and have averaged 114 a game so far against a team that has been one of the best defensive teams all season.
    Imagine how many points we would be scoring if they didn't take away the step back 3!?

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  8. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Wouldn’t you be too as a jazzhole if all Harden has done is give Rubio the dizzies?

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You mean if Harden had treated me like his little B***? Yep, absolutely lol

dkim1984 likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would love to see GSW play this D vs. Rockets too.

By the time we get to Bucks, James will be seeing all the fits with eyes closed.

11. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Don't be dishonest and quote my post while removing important parts. Enough said.

It's a combination of most of his posts most of the time. And I didn't say that he was trolling. I mentioned posters like him and trolls as the reason why I don't log in as much. Even trolls have some good or decent posts sometimes. But their body of work tells the real picture.

D-rock likes this.
  12. smp

smp Member

Yep. KD is a good example of why the midrange shot shouldn’t be dead. CP3 is too, but to a lesser extent. The midrange shot can be extremely effective. It’s like a layup for KD and I am sure Harden could do it just as well when he’s literally being guarded from behind. I will clarify that by saying Harden should not try to shoot midrange jumpers over people like KD does though. Harden isn’t a 7 foot tall 2-3 guard. But damn, take the wide open easy shot. I know he can hit it. That will end that stupid defense and he can go back to the step back 3.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

At least they’re trying :confused:

14. durvasa

A nice breakdown of Utah’s defense early in the series, contrasting it to what the Bucks did:

Did Utah’s game 3 adjustments more closely match what the Bucks got right, or was our lack of success just a matter of Harden missing good looks? Gobert’s positioning closer to the rim, which matches what Lopez did, seemed to help.

But there were some successful counters as well:

Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  15. Voltik

Voltik Member

Quite simple, Rubio’s ankles didn’t want to get crossed over and broken like in Game 2, so they took Rubio out of the play.

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm calling Rubio's stance, in the OP's post, the "Deliverance Position."

D-rock likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He's definitely afraid of taking mid range shots. It's why this defensive scheme can sometimes work. They leave the entire mid range area completely open unless CP3 is handling the ball because the actually takes them.

durvasa likes this.
  18. durvasa

Yes, I’m not a “troll”, I’m just a “contrarian dumbass” because I don’t think the Jazz’s strategy is as ridiculous as it looks, and for other unspecified reasons evident in my “body of work”.

This guy hates trolls, but has no problem calling people dumbasses for expressing some views that he disagrees with and is not in proper keeping with what he thinks a well-behaved Rockets fan should be saying on here.

TheRealAllpro and fchowd0311 like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Some posters are just really sensitive when it comes to any criticism of Harden. I assume most of them are still in high school.

The Hunted likes this.
  20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Nah, he is right. There are 3’s, Midrange, Shots in the paint and shots at the rim.

Midrange is consider a shot inside the 3-point line and outside the paint. The only reason I bring up this distinction is because Morey has said shots in the paint can be good shots if that’s what the defense is giving up.

durvasa likes this.