1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One Heck of a fish tale - 300lb Alligator Gar caught in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, Jun 21, 2012.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog...s+in+epic+battle+with+enormous+alligator+gar/

(picture at linked page)

thats one heck of a battle - props to him and his dog..

Whether Brent Crawford has captured the world's largest alligator gar will never be known -- his scale bottomed out emphatically at 300 pounds and he filleted the prehistoric-looking fish after attempting to obtain its weight.

But this much is clear: The gar Crawford landed while bow-fishing recently in Texas' Lake Corpus Christie is among the largest specimens ever captured -- and it was captured in a manner like no other gar captured beforehand.

(The largest-known alligator gar caught while bow-fishing weighed 365 pounds. The largest caught on rod and reel weighed 279 pounds.)

Crawford, who has lived on the lake for 20 years, was alerted to the presence of several giant gar in a wide canal feeding into the lake: an enormous female swimming with about five smaller males.

His reaction, according to the Corpus Christie Caller Times, was simply: "Oh goodness. That fish right there was worth chasing."

The newspaper's outdoors columnist, David Sikes, produced a detailed account of what transpired next. The following is a condensed version:

Crawford, with his fishing bow, stalked the great fish carefully, knowing he might only get one shot.

When he finally fired, he scored a direct hit, unleashing the fury of the 8-foot, 2-inch beast, which created an explosion of mud and water before it ran toward the lake.

Big problem, because the nylon cord had become tangled at Crawford's feet, and when he grabbed the line, as it began to tighten, it became wrapped around his hand.

The line went taut and the fish yanked the fisherman into the water headfirst. That's when Crawford's dog, Bleux, grabbed him by the cuff of the jeans, creating a bizarre riverbank tug-of-war.

Crawford ultimately was able to free his hand from the cord and stand knee-deep in the shallow canal, gripping his fishing bow, the cord still attached to the mighty fish. "There was no doubt who was in control and it wasn't me," the fisherman recalled.

The gar stole 200 feet of cord in a battle that lasted 45 minutes, before Crawford reeled it to the bank. Soaked and exhausted, the fisherman straddled the fish, reached for his cellphone -- which he had kept in a waterproof case -- and dialed a friend.

The friend arrived with a pistol, which resoundingly ended the struggle, and the two men used a rope and an ATV to drag the quarry to Crawford's house.

It wasn't until after Crawford had carved up his catch that he learned the Texas bow-fishing record for alligator gar is 290 pounds, and the overall state record is 302 pounds.

Record or no record, it was a monstrous gar and one of the wildest angling feats in Texas history. It's a shame that there isn't a category for that.

1 person likes this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As someone getting into kayak fishing, this is amazing. It's unfathomable to me, never having caught a fish like that, that beasts like that exist in freshwater.

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Holy crap.... 8 foot 2 inches.

[​IMG]

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

HO. LEE. CRAP.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I remember catching little gars out in Sabine as a kid.

When I found out they could grow that big, I nearly pooped my adolescent pants.

I wonder if that creature holds the world record for largest possible percent increase in growth from baby to adult.

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Hemingway should've wrote about this guy. I think we can let him keep his man-card.

7. HombreDeHierro

are those edible?

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

THAT IS A LARGE THING.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This is why I don't like swimming in huge lakes, there's some crazy fish in there.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've seen some six or seven foot a-gars before when me and my buddy threw a bunch of KFC chicken into a canal behind our high school, but i've never seen anything like that river monster.

11. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Do they eat people?

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Lazy Rebel scum :)

From Wikipedia:

The Alligator Gar is a relatively passive, solitary fish that lives in fresh and brackish water bodies in the southern U.S. It is carnivorous and feeds by lurking amongst reeds and other vegetation, ambushing prey.[13] Alligator gar have often been suspected in attacks on humans[14][unreliable source?], but none of these attacks have been officially confirmed to be the work of this species.

13. teknokid

teknokid Member

Yes. Aligator Gar is actually really tasty.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's a dinosaur.

15. Convictedstupid

I wish I was a real man like him.

16. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I used to be scared of them when I was a kid. Landed a few on a rod and reel over the years. Sadly, this ancient giant is vanishing. They look terrifying, but they're completely non-threatening to humans.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Never swimming in a lake/river ever. I dot want to be first confirmed death by an alligator gar lol.

18. Classic

Classic Member

19. cdain3

cdain3 Member

That's what she said.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good eating right there boys !

DD