1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Once I get out of this coma...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 20, 2000.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lol popeye, davo

Jeff...darn I would have loved to seen you
    guys some more. More picture, too.

For all those who want a description of Clutch, let me take a shot:

Clutch is clearly one of those most-excellent laid back souls, humble doers, who probably has had an entourage of worshippers that he feeds with life ever since he was in high school.
    We are not worthy of his creations!!

man i was really cheering for you Elie#17 to break away. I wanted to meet anyone who darts away from short-term obligations for an evening to remember. If you had a car, I'm sure you wouldn't have hesitated.

3pointer...watch out for that heavy Irish beer. it was fun!

SpaceCity...stories were told about you!...I have that javascript you want for checking picture file size. But I think the problem is too much page real estate is added causing long pages. Mabye a fan photo area and a blind dating service.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Elie#17, I just walked down and found an empty seat right over the rail and hopped over. It was cool standing next to Calvin and being TALLER than he is!! I think he's shrunk in his "advanced" age.

Kagy, I had the same fear of being detained, but put on my "I'm part of the media crew" act and walked out onto the court. I have to say, standing in the same painted area where Hakeem dominated and Charles backed it in was....I just can't explain it.

For the record I did NOT chase Rudy either. He was bolted out the door "looking for his wife" but was later spotted with Jim Boylen and 2 blondes(not leggy tall....5'6-5'8"). They were cute though...maybe his daughters??

Anyhow, I'm down for a draft party.

------------------
    The lottery sucks!

3. heypartner

Speaking of bolting out the door.

You know: Jeff, Clutch and Kagy bolted on their pizza tab before the game. Talk about being focused on an electrifying evening ahead.

My girlfriend didn't approve. That simple oversight placed my entire attempt to convince her cc.net really is cool in jeopardy. Davo, help me explain how difficult it is to be a clutchcity fanatic living with looOvelys who don't even understand our thrill for sports.

Clutch, help me recover from this. Place a thank you "Clutch Gets an Extra Pizza from heyschweetie" in your Clutch Extra area for one day and say her dog Mollie is the best dog in the world. I have pictures.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited April 20, 2000).]

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

popeye,

You wrote:

"I have been saying for weeks I thought it was poor decision by him or his doctors
    ill-advice or whoever, that he come back and play in a game. I thought it was way to
    early to do anything as precarious as that. He could have had some real problems
    out there. As I said, Othella gave him no slack. "

That was said from the medical professional point of view. Can you give your from-the-heart feelings and the impact that the closure on Charles's career had on you?

Mango

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood

5. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Poeye,
    Loved the ET reference. I haven't heard anyone call him that since the group I watched the '94 playoffs with. Great!

------------------

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

OH NO, we did NOT bolt without paying! I paid for that pizza in advance at the bar (9 bucks if I remember correctly). If you guys paid a second time, the bar made an extra $9.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

7. heypartner

Well...shoot. That waitress made somewhat of a stink, too. No sweat. Actually, everyone gladly absorbed it.

So, Jeff...about your draft party. I think we could do a friendly pool to, to make it spicey. We pick enough NCAA, HS, European and NBA players to equal the number of cc.net participants then for $5 everyone picks a name from a hat. The person with the player the Rockets take in the first slot (whether via pick or trade) wins the pot. A wild-card would be for no one out of the hat was taken.

Anyone who gets Kenyon Martin or Tim Duncan AND wins the pot, must buy the bar a round of drinks.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited April 20, 2000).]

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

heypartner, I'm in on the pool.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, I feel left out. If I could have made it...
    I will definately do a draft party and pool.
    I cannot miss another get together.

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

10. Rocket Guard

Rocket Guard Member

Damn,what about we foreigners??It is not fair you are having all the fun,I want to be part of those get togethers and cc.net bball tournaments,I know i would win 1 on 1 against any of you [​IMG]

heyp,next game you are buying tickets for the bbs members,wouldn't you be interested on buying an airplane ticket to the U.S. for a young,diehard rocket fan??

------------------
    NEVER underestimate the heart of a champion!!!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wish I could have been there. I understand a crew even went from here in Austin. Great !!!

I taped the game on the League Pass, as I had to work until 1am last night.
    Crunch time in the games industry is a b****, just ask my wife.

It was awesome, the only dissappointment being that I got the Vancouver broadcast. Oh well, can't have all the luck.

I would like to have a Clutch City Tour stop here in Austin for the NBA Draft.

Who is in?

DaDakota

------------------

12. heypartner

I've got some caffeine, Jeff!

I for one am thrilled to hear Rocket's officials are asking about members. I just might have to escalate by efforts at winning over the Season Ticket Upgrades manager.

I'm buying 100 opening day tickets for cc.net if you all can convince the upgrades manager I'm worthy of being first in line for upgrades. You think that might work, Jenna?

Another anecdote from last night. Rudy shows up at Kenneally's around 11pm.

Darkhores, RocketsPimp, 3pointer, Davo (and his absolutely stunning and very tolerant wife) get a little too excited. To make matters worse, Darkhorse, 3pointer and I are still wearing our homey red headbands that I made the guys wear for the tickets. They rush to Rudy like groupies saying their from clutchcity.net. (I hang back with Davo's wife like a groupie.) They seem to scare Rudy. He backs out the door and says he's looking for his wife (excuse?) and get's on his cell phone in the parking lot. Fifteen minutes later he comes back in with two tall blonds.

....looking for his wife? Looking out for his wife more like!

...fun time. Clutch you should have taken me up on my offer to grace my humble abode near Kenneally's and christen my new Sony laptop and DSL line with your Recap. It reaches the toilet, too. But, I guess I then wouldn't be able to ever use the machine again to freeze the moment in time. Sounds like Jeff won't have to freeze his machine.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Thanks for the offer, hey. Already been through 2 GIANT Dr. Pepper's - working on a third.

Don't you just love DSL? It is so damn killer! I feel bad for those of you who aren't close enough to a SWB switching station to get it. Guess cable modems' the next best option.

Rudy with blondes!? Are you sure the tall blondes weren't two tall "pints"? Thanks for all the organization hey. It was really fun and I'm sorry we missed the "after show party."

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

14. popeye

popeye Member

My Thoughts

The game was just an afterthought, although I came away with new (and some old, but ever increasing) realizations:

1. Cato spends most of his PT (defensively and offensively) standing still, out of the way(play), waiting for someone to create something for him and occasionally sneaking under the net for a pass and a dunk. He walks everywhere. He does not run very often. I was the guy leading the cheer for "Pig! Pig! Pig!" behind the court side seats, all night.

2. Moochie Norris is truly a game maker and will be a game breaker. He is intense, he has great eyes, excellent passing skills, seems to move with little effort and has this overall command of the game that only real superstar guards exhibit. I am not overstating this? He is slowly becoming indespenible. He is on RT/CD's "better sign this guy early" list, and I hope they are successful in doing just that.

3. Our dancers are the best. I got to see four other out of town games this year, and several last year. We have the best crew. No competition at all. The entertainment offered at the Compaq Center is beyond anything that is put on anywhere else in the league. I know it is often campy and repetitive, but Clutch's performances always break me up. And,Rocky's entertainment value and his league-wide prestige(if there is such a thing for mascot,I'm sure there must be) must have surely shot way up with his tribute(s) to Charles. Whoever decided to add that Denver Nugget's Mascot had a great idea.

4. KT moves so well. He has great position on most plays, even if they end up broken up. His tippy-toe steps gives him excellent lateral movement. He just needs some conditioning and some CD influence. He is a Rox keeper unless we get some real primo stuff in a trade. And,I mean Primo Grade A stuff in return.

5. Othella looked great, and I couldn't help thinking he was auditioning for the Rockets out there. Hope so. He certainly didn't give Charles any slack either did he? He has an edge about him now. He looks meaner. A bit of "Zo's court persona" maybe.

6. Cherokee Parks looks more and more like Shaggy of Scooby-Doo fame. Don't ya think? I mean, that boy needs a major make-over. Maybe a giant trash bag over the entire body. He sure knows his positional play though. He's like a little general out there. Pointing out everyone's position on every play. They scored off almost every play he picked, every iso he called and almost every match-up adjustment he spotted and called.

7. Cuttino Mobley has got to have more fun than any other Rockets player on our roster. Maybe more fun than ET did.

8. Shareef needs a better team. His game was mostly self created last night. I don't know if that's a coach's poor play calling, or what. He was given some looks, but IMHO he had to create most of his own opportunities. There wasn't much chemistry exhibited by the Grizz. Maybe it was just the last game "this means nothing" thing, but overall they played us well enough to win, but they never looked like they were a "together" team. S A-R walked over after the game and sat with our guys. And he looked comfortable. As he was leaving he stopped and spoke with several Rockets people. He looked awfully friendly there. I know this is a partisan opinion, but I think he, like several other individuals, are impressed with the class of our outfit.

Highlights

But all things aside, the true highlight last night was all the hoopla over Charles. I never thought I would appreciate that aspect of it or even get emotional. But the atmosphere was infectious. We were some of the last to leave and spoke to a bunch of people. Some of Charles friends were in the walkway and they heckled him unmercifully at one point, then were crying and hugging each other and him later.

After Michael Dickerson and Shareef came out to be interviewed for TV, they stood in the walkway and chatted with us briefly. Man, when the team finally left they took there time in the walkway and Cuttino was given things away, tops, headbands. Bullard was carrying around a pair of flip-flops because I guess he thought someone was going to ask him for his shoes (which he gives to kids every now and then). I pointed to his flops and yelled at him: "... hey Matt, those new high tops going to give you some vertical ...." and he laughed and shook his head. Stevie stopped and glad handed a lot of kids and some adults.Gave away some stuff ... headbands and wrist bands.

Charles was nervous. Almost speechless at one point. His mom and gran were beaming and obviously proud. His "family friend" (housekeeper/fussbudget/reality grounder) looked out of place, but kept looking at him, and yeah just knew Charles had to do some real convincing to get here to walk out there.

His wife was nervous and fidgeting while holding a small bouquet of flowers. This spotlight stuff is not really her thing either.

RT'd dedication sounded heartfelt and warm. Almost worshipful. I kept thinking, he better keep some of these superlatives and accolades for Hakeem when he retires.

But Charles was more solemn, and very brief in his remarks. My impression is he appeared to be happy, and that he made the right decision. I heard him later tell someone (as I was standing close to him), that he just wanted to not undo all the rehab he went through. That he was really nervous when he was in the game. Later at home, I caught a halftime interview on recap sports where he said roughly the same thing, and that he really wanted just a rebound. That the put back was icing on the cake.

I have been saying for weeks I thought it was poor decision by him or his doctors ill-advice or whoever, that he come back and play in a game. I thought it was way to early to do anything as precarious as that. He could have had some real problems out there. As I said, Othella gave him no slack.

Hakeem was in and out all night, probably because he was uncomfortable in those damn courtside chair "thingees" as he sat between the Astros (DL) owner and the Alexanders for some of the game. After his dedication to Barkley he left quickly.

Anyway it was great night. Enjoyed it a lot!!! [​IMG]

Dang the year is over!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

15. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

DaDakota,

Austin?? sounds good to me.. well i'll be here until May 15th or something. Not sure if there are any offseason events between now and then!! well whatever.. definitely next season?

elie17

------------------

16. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I know that I am in New Jersey but I would love to come to a .net party!!

With a couple of weeks notice, I can probably swing by H-Town or wherever its going to be. That would be great to see you guys and see if you are as funny in person as you are on the BBS! [​IMG]

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

17. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Don't worry. You weren't the only make-believe journalist out there. Lots of people pretend to be serious journalists. People with Rocket websites, even.

Pizza tab. Well, Jeff did pay for it. But I didn't pay Jeff. Ha ha! Don't tell him. I'm in good with his cats and I don't want them to lose respect for me.

Best line of the night was probably said by Clutch as we walked out to Jeff's truck.

Clutch: "We should have a moment of silence for the three pieces of pizza left behind".

That's going in the KegNotes that I promised Clutch I'd write yesterday. Whoops. Don't tell him either.

------------------
    Keep the Faith... Keep the Rockets.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm almost awake... just about there.... I'll be responding shortly [​IMG]

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

It was an awesome night...had a ton of fun...sorry I missed the after thing.

I'm definitely lookin forward tomore cc/net gettogethers

Pimp....did anyone evr come sit in those damn seats??
    I can't believe them f##kin yuppies gave us hell about scammin them seats by you on the lower section!!!! [​IMG]
    Oh well...still was fun.
    BTW..heypartner...next time ya get seats..just let me know and I'll send ya cash for my seats.

------------------
    Tired of my sig...

Go Rockets
    Find us a front-court Please!!!!!!!!

20. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Did anyone take pictures? I would like to see them.

I am upset that I couldn't come(It's only a 2 hour plane flight or something like that)

------------------
    ~John~
    Hi, my name is John and I'm a clutchaholic.
    Houston NHL