1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On this date 17 years ago..."Don't ever underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Third eye, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Third eye

Third eye Member

June 14, 1995
    The Houston Rockets became the first sixth-seeded playoff team to win an NBA title, following a 113-101 Game 4 triumph over Orlando at The Summit. Houston also became the first NBA team to ever defeat four consecutive opponents (Utah, Phoenix, San Antonio and Orlando) in the playoffs that had won 50 or more games during the regular season. Houston and Orlando combined to set a Finals record for the most three-point field goals made (25), with the Magic sinking 14 long-range shots (led by five each from Anfernee Hardaway and Brian Shaw) and the Rockets hitting 11 (with Mario Elie and Robert Horry collecting four apiece).

-http://www.nba.com/history/this_date_june.htmla

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

It's really been that long? Jeez. Time sure flies.

3. Third eye

Third eye Member

The LA Kings now, and if you count those Steelers, or Packers teams (05,10 respectively) along with the Houston Rockets whom were the first "lowest seed to win championship ever" at their time. Cheers mates

4. Third eye

Third eye Member

first NBA team to ever defeat four consecutive opponents (Utah, Phoenix, San Antonio and Orlando) in the playoffs that had won 50 or more games during the regular season

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

man, that was a great playoff run. so much fun.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The "Lowest Seed" mantle is deceiving.

Hakeem was out for most of that season, therefore the Rockets lost a bunch of games and therefore David Robinson had a clear lead in the MVP, a regular season award.

Also the Rockets had to adjust to trading a major part of their team, OT and change to a more uptempo team with Drexler.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

On this epic day, an epic poster turns 26 years old.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In a way, it was almost anticlimactic. 3 epic series wins in a row, and then Orlando basically rolls over after Anderson misses those free throws. They never had a chance.

9. Third eye

Third eye Member

Tinman even you should know that while it may be deceiving...let's not forget Drexler proving all the naysayer wrong that "he was done"-carrying this team while Dream was out

10. Third eye

Third eye Member

...and I say that above bc 6th seed wow it coulda been worse bc we were w/o Dream for so much ....Drexler did some amazing stuff with a team that frankly was not his. Cassell stepped up as well I believe

11. Third eye

Third eye Member

No that is how good we were...ORL had to beat a Jordan team that averaged over 30 on them....Shaq was so big and dominant and same with Penny at the PG position...we just were rolling like a train. Dream was just THAT GOOD too, that GM 1 shot he tips in Drexlers miss haha wow kinda sums up it all that season for me, the tip in, the shrug me ories man.

12. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

One of the best quotes ever!
    And that tip in IMO was what set the tone for the whole series...had he not tipped that in I believe the series very well could've swung the other way...I miss the Olajuwon days, I was young but he was the reason I am a rocket fan

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

rudy t said there were non believers
    that's why we need to keep educating people about clutch city

14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

When you have an Olajuwon, you always believe. We have nobody now.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah there were the Nick Anderson 4 straight misses.

But still needed Kenny Smith tying the game with a 3.

Still needed that Olajuwon 2 finger poke-in

And they were down by 20 that 1st game, to comeback and win.

That was enough heart pounding action for me at the time, don't know if I coulda took 7 games like that lol. And Rockets got to win on their home floor.

16. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Am surprised Tinman didn't create this thread first.

17. roswell raygun

This should be an annual holiday on ClutchFans. 5-star thread.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Kind of sucks that our franchise has become ****ty after those amazing runs..

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

People tend to forget that Horry blocked a last second shot after Kenny made that three.

That had to be the clutchest team ever. The clutch easily went 7-8 deep on that team.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

tinman... you're losing your touch man.