1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

On/Off Clutch-time stats for some of our players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Mar 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Here are some +/- stats during last 5 minutes when margin is <= 5 points. Overall, the team has been in this situation in a total of 66 minutes this season and are -9 collectively.

Code:
    On/Off Clutch-Time Stats

[B]              ON            OFF
             GP  min  +/-     min  +/-
             -------------    ---------[/B]
    Harden   24  60   -12      6   +3
    Parsons  23  55   -13     11   +4
    Delfino  20  47   -15     19   +6
    Asik     17  43   +1      23   -10
    Lin      20  42   -19     24   +10
    Beverley  5   9   +7      57   -16 
    I included the 4 starters plus Delfino who's been a regular finisher this season. I'm also including the current backup PG.

All stats from http://stats.nba.com.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

So we play better with Beverley and Asik but worse with harden Parsons Delfino and Lin? What exactly does that stat mean?

3. thekad

thekad Member

Delfino with more minutes than Asik... Even with this admittedly small sample size, that's pretty ridiculous.

4. durvasa

Not necessarily.

5. thekad

thekad Member

durvasa, how do you feel about the benching of Asik (probably the Rockets' second best player) during crunch time? Do you think "riding the hot hand" is a smart strategy (disregarding for the moment what constitutes "hot" or if it even exists)?

6. Postcall

Postcall Member

Are these numbers influenced by the 7 game losing streak?

7. timyeung

timyeung Member

Someone already posted this on the boards:

Statistics of the last 5 minutes this season

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You didn't answer the second part of his question. I want to know too.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

That has no value.

No one cares what peoples personal stats are in the final minutes.

How you play vs. your opponent is what matters.

10. durvasa

Are you asking for me to draw inferences from the stats, or to explain what the stats mean?

To me, it was interesting because it shows who's been the floor most frequently during these moments, and also how successful the team has been overall with them on the floor. It doesn't tell you what the optimal lineup is directly, obviously. But its something to consider before being dead set on the idea that certain players HAVE to be on the floor or we'll suck.

#10 durvasa, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  11. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Is your margin <= 5 pts or between -5 and +5?

12. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

So from the data you listed Jeremy Lin generally hurts the team more than he helps?

13. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Yea it's just an advanced stat that if we could improve slightly would help grab a couple extra wins. Don't think he's bashing anyone in the "clutch."
    Thanks for those stats.

Interesting bc I'd thought the +\- would have been better, but it's probably because of our lack of D.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One thing that's striking to me: the Rockets really haven't spent many minutes in "clutch time." The starters only got 40-60 minutes of clutch play. 66 total minute for the whole team.

Contrast that with: http://stats.nba.com/leaguePlayerClutch.html?sortField=GP&sortOrder=DES

Pierce: 194 Clutch time minutes
    Lawson 156
    Aldridge 151
    DeRozan 177

Etc...

Edit: wait a minute. The link I had showed Harden being in 108 clutch minutes. Not sure the cause of difference.

#14 Carl Herrera, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  15. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Rockets never seem to really play in the clutch. Either we blow out the opposing team or lose by 10.

16. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

+ / - is such a useless stat. This and that thread the other guy posted to try to make Lin better use data that have little to no value. Even despite the TINY sample size, so many different factors come into play that make +/- a terrible metric to base performance off of. Most notably, what the other players on the floor are doing. Who's hot, how your teammates are playing defense, etc. Case in point: Harden has been far and away our best player... not a single rational person will dispute that, and according to this post he has a +/- of -12. Only a fool looks at that and says, "-12? He shouldn't play in the clutch."

I don't understand why everyone on this board is trying to skew stats to make certain players look better/worse. I just want the Rockets to win. Showing stats like this doesn't suddenly make the coaching staff say, "you know, that random poster is right, let's play this person now"... so why bother?

17. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Pointless thread. Doesn't tell me much. SSS and it's +/- and its flaws.

1 person likes this.
  18. Ultimate6thMan

I totally agree with what you are saying. So why does this stupid thread have 5 stars? Just because "contributing members" think it is good? smh

The reason for JLin to play in the closing of minutes of games is because he was brought in by the team ownership to be the PG they wanted to grow and groom as a leader. You can't develop him by sitting him entire 4th quarters of games because of this reason or that reason. The only thing you will do with that is "maybe" destroy his confidence, or lesson his trade value down the road.

So whatever McHale's reasoning for sitting Lin so much especially in the 4th quarter, he is hurting the ORGANIZATION by not letting Lin play 38 plus minutes a night by hurting his growth or trade value.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LOL

They brought him in for marketing dollars to help the cash flows in a rebuilding period.

1 person likes this.
  20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

what's the sample size for this ? games from post all star?