1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omer Asik requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Nov 14, 2013.

Tags:
?

How should the Rockets handle Omer Asik's trade request?

1. Trade him ASAP for whatever they can get.

113 vote(s)
    16.6%
  2. Trade him, but wait until the trade deadline to see if something big shakes out

510 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Don't trade him at all

57 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. rocketblood713

then he better keep asking cause he aint going anywhere anytime soon lol

2. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

^^I can't read.:(

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's funny you say that because I've been wondering the same thing. Not because I think he's a Rocket target, but because I think IF Cleveland is willing, it could make for a good three-team trade possibility.

Rockets are in the unenviable position of trying to trade a win-now defensive center and needing back a legit four. The type of teams you are targeting for what you're looking for back are likely to be teams that have decided to rebuild and sell off win-now pieces. First, that's not likely to happen until we get closer to the deadline, and secondly, it doesn't seem like that's the type of team that would want Asik.

Not sure Cleveland is ready to give up on the #1 pick though.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Can't blame the guy. He's too good to be playing 10-15 minutes a night.

And given McHale's tendency to over use his starters, Asik wasn't even seeing 10.

Omer's been a true pro, never complained, always played hard, and was a team player. Any team would be lucky to have him.

Just his poor luck to be an upper echelon center on a team that acquires the #1 center and takes all your time.

Wish only the best for him.

As for the trade timeline, I wouldn't expect anything overnight. Morey's no fool. He'll check the market, gauge interest, and negotiate for something good back. The only question for me is who's going with him?

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

lol yeah

6. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I hear what you're saying. I just want a PF that will consistently average a double/double.

7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

If we could go back in time and trade Asik for the no.1 pick I would and then draft oladipo but hell no for Bennett, but hey stranger things have happened.

Not sure were Asiks fits really, it was a unique situation year maybe a multiple team trade that lands him to Dallas, just my guess

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I think all those people fretting about his 'trade value' declining by not playing have it wrong.

Morey won't be lowballed.

You go into any conversation with another GM and flatly say:
    "look, you try to lowball me because you think he's unhappy, great. I've got Omer for another two years. I don't need to trade him.
    You try to lowball me by claiming he isn't as good as he was, great. I'm not trading him for junk. You look at his performance last season. That will be the performance you will get. Not his performance next to the best C in the league."

I don't think any GM is going to outsmart Morey in a deal involving Asik.

9. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Morey will screw over the Knicks, Suns, or Kings. He usually does.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

=(

I can see it now, we trade him, Dwight gets injured and we have nothing.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We have ball movement :grin:

12. Swishh

Swishh Member

Jeff Green would be nice...

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

FIFY ;)

14. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Who's going with him really depends more on what's coming back. If it is a lot of salary, then Lin (which, of course, is one of the reasons he is 6th man... don't break up the starters at the trade deadline that way). Otherwise hard to say.

15. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I'd love to take a chance on Stoudemire, but that freakin contract is outrageous. I could see us getting Shumpert and a solid 4 in a three team trade...

16. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Say what???[​IMG]

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Don't underestimate what a talented unhappy player can do to a team. He's going to get moved soon.

19. Raven

Raven Member

He's acting like an ass. I'm sure Morey has explained the situation to his agent, that it would benefit the Rockets to wait until the deadline, or close to it, in order to get fair trade value. Would it kill Asik to be a backup for an extra two months? Apparently, yes, it would. Is he so stupid that he thinks he won't get a near max deal next Summer unless he starts right now? Even when he knows he'll be starting by mid season? This strikes me as spiteful.

20. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

I really don't think Omer is that type of a person.

However, sticking someone in a game for 4 minutes is not enough time to get settled into any kind of a flow.

I hope he gets some playing time.

He always tried really hard