1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olajuwon: Most underrated athlete of all time..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Starvela, Jul 21, 2010.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Top 3 greatest player of all time behind Jordan and Chamberlan.

2. pewpew

pewpew Rookie

top 10 steals as a center, best blocker ever, kareem, shaq might be unstoppable on offense while hakeem owns on both ends. hes the best no doubt.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he's a foreign muslim, he's never going to be a big media drawcard.

4. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

Nah man, Jordan was the most underrated athlete ever. I mean $90 million in his whole career? You got guys like Joe Johnson getting more than that in one contract bud, that's just wack man.

5. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

this is old news. dream has always been underrated.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think Wilt was better than Russell, but I never saw Russell play in person. I know Russell won all those championships with Boston, but Wilt put up numbers that no one will ever approach. If Russell had been on a team that required him to be more of an offensive force, then his scoring average for his career would have been greater I'm sure.

Wilt averaged more than 50 pts and 25 rbs one season. He also averaged 30 pts and 24 rbs for his career, so I don't know why you would laugh at people who think Wilt was better.

Just because Russell won numerous championships does not make him better than Wilt. Robert Horry has a bunch of rings, but I don't consider him a great player.

As for the question the OP posed, I don't think Hakeem is the most underrated. I think Moses Malone is more underrated than Hakeem.

7. desertfire

desertfire Member

Hakeem is routinely held to be one of the best five centers to ever play the game and sometimes elevated to top three. He is also often talked about as a top ten player of all time. Where he falls in that pecking order is a subject for passionate debate, but underrated he is not.

8. breerox29

breerox29 Member

Hakeem is one of the top 5 centers of all-time. The other 4 being Russell,Chamberlain, Kareem, and Shaq.

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

The only player to do 2 quadruple-doubles but the league took one assist off days later, so he only has one recorded.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kareem was the best scoring center ever. Wilt really wasn't all that skilled, the guy just was monsterously bigger than everyone else. In today's NBA, he would be more Shaq like - dominant but not 50 ppg or 30rpg dominant.

Best defensive center goes to Russell and Hakeem - hard to compare really. And best rebounding center is Moses - again, because he had to do it against real competition.

Overall, when you look at everything....Hakeem was the best. He was a great scorer, rebounder, passer, shot-blocker....he got steals, had inside game, outside game, hooks, jumpers dunks, spins. I mean, no other center could do what he did. Heck, no other player did all of what he did well.

He was the complete player. Everything. If he was 6'5, he'd have been a point guard - I have no doubt of that.

11. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBrEsNS9zKg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBrEsNS9zKg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

G.O.A.T

Hakeem>MJ

12. bloop

bloop Member

Wilt > Russell + Red Auerbach + 2 drunk Boston beanpots + Russell's mother

Kareem had the most unstoppable offensive move ever in the sky hook and he had the footwork but he wasn't better than Hakeem offensively.

Wilt was just pretty much physically superior to everyone else in the way that Lebron is physically superior to everyone today. Wilt was probably stronger than Shaq in his prime and was an Olympic quality athlete in a couple of sports.

Russell was just on the best team for a dozen years.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Sorry, but you are wrong, Wilt was the best ever. Wilt was a skilled player. Wilt was very productive, even late in his career, especially at rebounding. Wilt played against some very good players late in his career and did very well. No one in the history of the game has ever had to deal with as many double and triple teams as Wilt did, and he still crushed his competition. A young Wilt Chamberlain today would still dominate in every way. He wouldn't rack up the numbers he did in the 1960's, but he would still be the greatest ever.

It's only my opinion, but I did see him play, so I'm not coming to this conclusion by just looking at stats. Wilt got many of his points by going up strong and dunking, and why not, how many times have we said that Yao just needs to dunk the damn ball. Wilt had an amazing finger roll, he had a great fade away, and a hook shot, so he was a very skilled offensive player. Wilt would make most of todays top centers look silly. Wilt was the best ever.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I stand corrected then.