1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[okstate.edu] Oklahoma State University Homecoming: Police Identify 4 Killed by Car That Crashed In

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by plutoblue11, Oct 25, 2015.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://safety.okstate.edu/

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Delete thread, if already posted.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Unfortunately, this country is too lax on DUIs since so many do it, including those in power. Laws should be more strict for DUIs. Tragic for those who lost their lives or were injured.

5. nono

nono Member

Some places it says that she was not drunk and actually deliberately drove the car into the crowd.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We need some common sense regulation on cars in this country.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We do and I'll bet my left nut that it has dramatically decreased the amount of deaths caused by automobiles per year.

Regulations from who can and cannot drive, speed limits, regulations on car manufactures on how thick that A-pillar is and etc. has all probably saved thousands of lives.

And the most r****ded strawman in human history is gun nuts stating that the goal for gun regulations is to prevent ALL future deaths by firearms for ever when in reality it's nothing more than a preventive measure just like automobile regulations prevent deaths but there will never be such a thing as zero automobile related deaths ever... Doesn't mean we should cease regulations on automobiles.

#7 fchowd0311, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...pects-lawyer-says-she-may-be-mentally-n451246

9. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Based on that they should not longer make murder illegal because the law doesn't stop all murder.

They refuse to understand the laws are to minimise fatalities. It is why you need a license to drive a car, need to show you understand the road signs and road rules.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Agreed to an extent; the BAC of .08 is too low IMO. People texting are more dangerous than a two-beer BAC. Raise it up, make the first offense an automatic DL suspension of X months.

1 person likes this.
  11. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

strongly agree.

12. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I know this is highly googlable, but how does our level of .08 compare to other countries?

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Looks like we're on the high side:

[​IMG]

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The heinous act is bigger than any mental illness defense.

Ask the Colorado theater shooter.

After the act itself crosses a certain line regarding number of deaths and injuries...the mental illness defense becomes less and less viable...and most everyone just wants that person to pay like the victims did.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"People texting", hell, I'll do you one better.

Drivers who text are bad enough. Now I see our Houston roads and freeways littered with drivers on Facebook and Skype (I s*** you not, some girl all a-giggle on Skype while driving; not that she'd've been ticketed in Houston, oh no, let's not infringe on our liberties).

I don't know what this lady at the OSU Homecoming was doing (drunk? texting?), but you got my dander up.

Just a horrific tragedy, and the woman responsible should be buried in jail.

#15 ROXTXIA, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Agree on both, but the issue becomes how punitive should we make these offenses and how do we enforce it?

Texting/checking your phone on the move is dangerous. But it's not an easy one to enforce because one can use their phone and quickly put it up if a cop is seen. I admit I'm guilty of this one, but I only check it when stopped at a light and that's a quick peak to either check notifications or start a playlist.

DUIs are easier because alcohol lingers in your system.

Then comes the issue of punishment. Suspended licenses for a period of time would be great. If you can't drive safely, you shouldn't drive. But in our society, we are dependent on driving as transportation. Maybe 1st offense is to install the breath alcohol ignition interlock device that the offender has to pay for to be allowed to drive. Minimum 6 months? 2nd offense suspended license for 1 month, probation for 1 year with interlock device. 3rd offense suspended license for 1 year with probation for 3 years with device.

Now how can we stop texters? I can't think of a good way to enforce that.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How can they charge her with intoxication/ murder before any toxicology tests have been rec'd?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We need driverless cars.

And more Uber

19. Indaface

Indaface Member

We need less idiots

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

F-cking pricelss!!!!

[​IMG]