1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OKC treating players like assets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DrNuegebauer, Jul 23, 2014.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Saw this in another thread, didn't see a thread in the Dish to discuss it.

http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/20...stis-nba-developmental-league-draft-and-stash

What are people's thoughts on this? OKC have drafted Huestis in the first round (number 29), and are 'stashing' him in the DLeague (instead of over in Europe for a season).

I was under the impression that a player could only be 'stashed' if they agreed not to play in America for a season. Otherwise the team had to either sign them to their rookie scale contract OR renounce their draft rights and allow them to become a free agent.

Am I wrong? Is it if they agree not to play in the NBA?
    Is a DLeague draft'n'stash actually legal??

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Josh Huestis is offended

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Its if they choose not to play in the NBA. And I don't think a dleague draft and stash is technically wrong. Its actually quite innovative no matter how crappy the salary.

The thing that gets me, though, is that the kid had to agree to this. He could have refused and gotten his payday since he was a 1st rounder, but he didn't. The other thing is that this effectively bars the kid from coming to the thunder this year.

This is a hardcore morey-esqe move and should get lambasted by the media. I'm interested to see if the NBA players association does something about this

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Why would the players association do something about it?

The kid has agreed to the move, not the other way around - and you can't tell me his agent was all "let's turn down a million a year for $25k"? So it is what the player wanted isn't it?

Is he definitely barred from coming to the Thunder this year? Can they not bring him 'over' at some stage by having him sign his rookie contract?

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"Stashing" merely means retaining your draft rights to a player, without signing them. NBA teams retain draft rights to tendered players for at least one (two?) year after the draft, and for all subsequent years in which the player is under contract for a FIBA-sanctioned team.

This is more about maintaining draft rights. Players cannot get out of their draft rights unless they stop playing professional bball for a year, then they can reenter the following draft.

So, no. Domestic teams are not special. They are just like any International team.

#5 heypartner, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  6. heypartner

He can't get out of a signed contract that doesn't allow it. FIBA would not allow him to join the NBA until he was no longer under contract for any other league. Again, this is no different than any other league. D-League is no different.

btw: Did OKC offer the Required Tender for him? If not, they will lose his rights soon.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The inference from the article is that they will 'have him' for 5 years in their system. 1 year on the DLeague contract, then 4 years on his rookie scale.

I 'get it' if the guy is a 2nd rounder - makes perfect sense to 'try out' for a team a year in the DLeague, and then win a spot the following season.
    But for a first rounder, he has basically turned down $3m if he happens to get permanently injured this season. Ouch.

8. baubo

baubo Member

The bigger question is, if the Thunder wants that extra roster spot presumably to sign a veteran, why not trade the pick for a good player instead?

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

C'mon, you don't stash assets. You flip them.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Oh, so they are just stashing Sefolosha in Atlanta. My mistake.

11. ling ling

ling ling Member

That's what insurance is for.

12. heypartner

For the record: His tendered offer is for $734k the first year....that is, 80% of rookie scale. At anytime, he can sign that. It is up to him. Or he can do something that will give him more leverage to negotiate for 120% or rookie scale, which is what most players sign for.

Basically, sounds like the Thunder are playing hardball with essentially a second-round pick: "Sign for 80% of Rookie Scale, or go prove yourself in preseason camp, and, if we're still not convinced, go play for a few months in the D-League or Europe....b****!

He can sign at 80% anytime he wants.

13. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

More like, wink wink, we'll draft you in the first round, guaranteeing you a contract at any point if you play in the d-league for the first half of the year.

Huestis wasn't sure he'd be drafted, so he was more than willing to wink wink agree.

There is no injury risk. There is no strong-arming over the 80%.

14. heypartner

Yeah, I was kinda joking about Thunder playing hardball.

What it looks like is Presti might indeed be doing something that could change the late first rounder pick strategy. Recently, many teams (and Morey's done this, too) would rather trade down into the second round, than take a late first rounder under rookie scale.

But this approach could change that. Pick the first rounder rather than trading down, and tell him he will only get the 80% offer until the team is sure (from summer league, preseason camp or a few months in dleague) that he is indeed worth the 120% scale that most players get.

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

minor tangent: roberson (late first last year for OKC) received 80% for his contract last year, but it jumps to 120% each remaining year.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Who would insure you for a contract you haven't signed?
    Lead me to the company, I have a few policies I need to take out with them!

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ah right - and if he just refuses to sign the tendered offer, then he's a UFA after a year (he would be mental to follow that path UNLESS he stands out in the D-League, and since he's a defensive player, not likely)

18. ling ling

ling ling Member

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

There HAS TO be under the table money involved here right?

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah,, like that, because:

So they pay through the nose for insurance that will deny their claim unless the kid is almost dead.

Not really the kind of insurance I was thinking about :)