1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OKC pursuing Carmelo Anthony?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jul 24, 2017.

1. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Starts at 4:00

4:32 -
    Kevin O'Conner: Wow! That's fascinating. Is that a place where they could dump Kanter?
    Bill Simmons: If Carmelo goes to the Knicks and says I want to be traded to Houston, and the Knicks would have to get back Ryan Anderson's contract of 3 years/$60 million. Kanter is $17 million for 2 years?
    KOC: Yup that's all. OKC has better assets to give than the Rockets
    BS: Thunder will reach the WCF and scare Golden State with Russ/PG13/Melo/Patterson/Adams
    KOC: This news makes me want to look at the odds of OKC Western Conference champs
    BS: OKC, before my tweet, was 40 to 1 to win the title, a Celtics/Thunder Finals is 70 to 1

#61 samtaylor, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Yung-T likes this.
  2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Very vague on the pod. OKC's asst. GM knows Melo well, recruited him to Cuse and now "they're discussing that." Unclear who "they're" is (i.e., internal discussions at OKC, versus the guy having reached out to Melo). Bill also seems unaware that Melo can opt out of the final year of his contract, as he references Melo probably not wanting to be stuck in OKC if Russ/PG bolt.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I highly doubt it. He still likes NY. Phil is gone. He'd leave to play with his friends and chase a title IMO. Not just "to leave". This isn't a "I need out of NY" situation. Maybe if Phil were still there.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

His radio show today. He didn't say he had no interest. He said he hasn't spoken to him in a few weeks and understands he is only interested in Hou and Cle.

Yung-T and KlutchQT like this.
  5. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Honestly sounds like Simmons sent the tweet out, so that he could talk about how Melo on OKC could threaten the Warriors.

Media conspiracy

Rocket River, napalm06 and Vivi like this.
  6. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

Need one of those "Carmelo still committed to been traded to the Rockets" reports out of the New York Post right about now......

Vivi likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

OKC was snatching PGeorge out of thin air, never expected that, anything can happen.......shoot.

amaru likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

Can't see Carmelo picking OKC over Houston. Top 2 are comparable but role players are not. Big advantage Rockets

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I love how the Media and especially Simmons keeps ignoring the fact that Melo has a NTC ....side note Lol @ the idea of leaving NYC for OKC

amaru likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he is impatient, it would not be that hard to sugar talk him into waiving it........ish.

11. TheRealAllpro

If it was close to the season starting I might but this but it's the offseason. Second Melo's camp has said multiple times what he wants. Even to go so far as to look at houses in Houston. I don't think we should expect anything to change unless nothing happens before the season starts

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The probability is strong with Houston but it seems Knicks are doing everything to have him consider other options..... to net in better players......

The longer this drags out, other teams likely have a better chance. I think this is the week it should be decided.

The worst option is Carmelo goes to Team X as a rental and tries to sign with Houston as a Free agent next year.

mario_v likes this.
  13. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

All sounds like BS to me (no pun intended). Harden and Paul are committed to Houston, Westbrook and George are not committed to OKC.

Also, how can a team executive with OKC be recruiting Melo? I understand that the NBA lets players get away with tampering, but this is the first I've heard of an executive recruiting a guy under contract with another team.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

It's all bullshit

T for 3 likes this.
  15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

We need Blazer fans to put this rumor in its place.

If OKC do land Melo, they will have taken two of Morey's prime targets (PG and Melo) in the same summer.

#BothSleevesTornApart

amaru likes this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

No reason for him to be pressured in the middle of the offseason. Second we haven't seen any signs that he is waffling. I think he really wants to play with Paul.

amaru likes this.
  17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

"Melo and OKC officially circling each other" Am I the only one who thinks that wild animal metaphors are stupid when discussing possible trades? Just say "I have a source that said OKC is talking to Carmelo's people." This isn't the discovery channel.

s3ts likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No mating season.

T for 3 likes this.
  19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

The same guy that takes all the shots for OKC

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know that Kanter is a better return than Anderson.

In today's NBA, big who are neither rim protectors nor floor spacers are just not all that impactful. Think about this: Would the Rockets have been better off vs. the Thunder had Kanter and Anderson traded places? I don't think so.

Kanter, in a word, is obsolete.

Brown Lost It likes this.