1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ok, let’s talk about some key decisions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, Apr 28, 2019.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

1) Early into the 3rd quarter, went small by taking out rim protection. They promptly drove and 5 point swing.

2) after the Harden 3 pt play down the wire, took out Shump and put in Nene. I get we want to secure a board, but at least put CC in. The next possession Nene promptly got switched on Curry. Nene defended pretty ok actually on that play, but there is no way Nene could check Curry.

3) I think we still have a time out left. After CP grabbed the rebounds why no one called a time out? There was still 5 or 6 ticks left.

Ref and all, attention to details that goest to coaching too. Then there were two techs that cost us two points.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This was a winnable game. The Rockets need to be much better in game 2. You kind of know the Warriors will be.

The Warriors neutralized the Harden-Capela connection. I don’t think the Rockets have much of a chance of winning without Capela being more impactful.

3. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Really, you are going to talk about key decisions when Thompson committed 10 fouls and Curry committed 7. 7 or 8 fouls on 3 pointers that were not called. Lets be generous and call it 6. That's 18 free throws. The Rockets should have won buy 10 if the game was officiated correctly.

4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You really can't assume that. If the game had been officiated correctly Golden State would have stopped doing that.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

G1 is done. We need to focus on stuff that we can do to make sure we take G2.

BeBreezy likes this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bro 2019 is done. worriers purrade date already scheduled. billion dolla arena opening in SF soon. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

I was at Oracle today. Despite all of that, there were still opportunities we could have taken it out of ref's hands.

jcmoon likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i fully agree we could have played much much better. but do not underestimate the officials' ability to up their game accordingly as well. the vegas line was covered by 1 point. not by accident

9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Tucker defended in no man's land after a lost of focus.

Tucker should have fought over the screen because he has to know that golden state is willing to send double screen in late game situations for curry to get open on a mission match.

Golden State did not send a double screen for curry but that option is always available and the double screen is something they love to do.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

I was there. The Areana went nuts on one or two calls that Harden got. I believe one was kinda he actually hooked Green's arm and flail. Two points duely converted by him. In general calls tend to even themselves out in a game/series. Do I believe there is a conspiracy theory against US by the NBA. Probably not. What happened is these Refs got together yesterday watching every call/move Harden got/made in the last series and decided they would not call the foul on 3P. That to me is more likely.

Also, the last shot by Harden, that's where home cooking showed, the Refs weren't going to give it to Harden, no matter what unless he was clobbed. I was right there near the courtside.

There are however little stuff we can do better.

Let's go. Ain't end of world, and let's not act as if this is one.

durvasa likes this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

how do you feel about the 2000 WCF or the 2002 WCF or the 2018 WCF? did the calls even out in those series?

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Man, what's your plan. Stop watching it because you think it's rigged and stop us from discussing other stuff?

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

please discuss -- my apologies for derailing the original post. regarding my plan, there's no such thing. i've been saying for the past few months there was no way silver would allow gs to lose. especially in an early round like this. just too much money to leave on the table. i still watch b/c harden & cp3 (and even gordon today) are just amazingly skilled and talented

BeBreezy and YallMean like this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There are plenty of other threads in which you can complain about officiating. It's nice to have at least one where the focus is on stuff the Rockets can fix to give themselves a better chance of winning the series.

BeBreezy and Easy like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Capela being effective is the key. The only reason MDA put in Nene on that Curry play was because Capela couldn't be trusted after disappearing the whole game.

Nene was playing fantastic yesterday. He just couldn't do what Capela does on the defensive end.

16. gogispade

gogispade Member

Last year we lost game 1 by 13 points. We will take next one, I think Jimmy knows he has to step up now.

YallMean likes this.
  17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

While GSW may have stopped fouling, we could also argue that of the 3x's in the 1st half alone Harden was undercut on the 3 - let's say for argument sake that Harden makes only 1 of those 3 if he wasn't fouled/undercut - that's still potentially 3 points off the board (given that Harden makes all 3 FTs). The game was 103-100 when Harden missed the 3, and the tech was called on CP.

Let's also assume that CP's and 1 gets called - that missed call was a 3 point turnaround (missed and 1 plus 2 techs = 3 points)

There's a 6 point swing right there. This doesn't even include other missed calls throughout the game or phantom calls the GSW got.

18. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

While that's possibly true, but that's my issue with this - every game is different and every call is different.

Say Harden doesn't get a 3pt foul, but on the other end they call a "make up" call and call an offensive foul on GSW. Sure, the # of fouls called has evened out, but one is potentially 3 points, the other rewards you with just the ball back. And then they do another "make up" call with the Rockets on offense, but it's on the floor.. sure now, they've got 2 "make up calls" for 1 missed call. But neither of the make up calls have resulted into points on the board.

On the other end.. let's say GSW got the benefit one game, and the Rockets another - instead of the series being 2-0 (for either team), now it's 1-1. Like Harden said - just call the game as it's supposed to be, and live with the results. If Harden and the Rockets shoot poorly without being hacked and just great straight up defense, you live with that. But when you have the Refs dictating how the game will play out, you know there's some shady crap going on.