1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oh, What A Tangled Web We Weave...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Sep 6, 1999.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Last season Ervin Johnson sucked REALLY bad because he just didnt get the time with tractor traylor playing the 5. Back in Seattle, he wasnt much either, with Sam Perkins getting the majority of the minutes. But look in between. When he was with Denver, and averaging 40 minutes a game, I remember he averaged about 2 blocks and around 11 boards. This was back during Dyess's first sting with the Nugs. He has no offense, but is a nice backup defensively.

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Can somebody confirm that Bullard + Thomas = Christie in terms of salary? I was under the impression that Christie was making around 3 MIL a year, so I'm not sure those two guys make enough combined to make it work.

4. thacabbage

aelliot:

I remember back during the Olajuwon trade rumors that everyone was saying that Christie and Willis were both in the last years of their contracts..

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

6. thacabbage

no, its aight, i believe you. You are the guru of all salary cap and salary figures...

7. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Can somebody please tell me what Rudy T gave Glen Grunwald to drink to even consider that deal? [​IMG]

Let me get this straight; Matt Bullard and Kenny Thomas for Doug Christie? I simply do not comprehend that one, Toronto doesn't even get a PG, which is what their looking for. Unless this trade somehow lands them Best or Eisley.

Man, if the Rocks end up giving up those two for Christie, I will hail Rudy T as the most brilliant man south of the border! [​IMG]

Azim da Dream

------------------
    Mobley AND Francis in the same backcourt? Can anyone say 'what hall-of-famers'?

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

If our frontcourt is already having depth problems would this mean that we would have ANOTHER trade in the making to replace Kenny Thomas after that deal was over?

9. KANE

KANE Member

Ha! Probably.......but at any rate I personally DO NOT like the idea of trading away Kenny Thomas, at least at this juncture. The Rox seem to be really high on this kid at the moment. Think about this, they chose to trade Othella over Thomas for the Francis deal, that must at least tell ya something. But, the possiblity of landing Christie is still very exciting. I just hope they can pull it off without sending Thomas to Toronto. I think this kid has a lot of promise....

--------------------
    KANE is waiting to see some Rocket ass kicking.......

[This message has been edited by KANE (edited September 07, 1999).]

10. outlaw

outlaw Member

Doctor...if they can get Ervin Johnson in the other deal for Don MacLean/Maloney then T-Mass will back-up Chuck while EJ backs up Dream.

11. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I must admit, I am highly suspicious of these reports, although I'd love for them to be true. This Rocketball Guy says on his site that the Johnson deal involves MacLean, Maloney and Bullard. (This guy says Barkley is only signing for 5 mil? ... hmmm)
    <HR ALIGN="CENTER">
    A few questions that I don't see adding up on these deals:

If the deal is for only MacLean and Maloney, they average 5 mil a year. Johnson is a little over 2 mil. Is there someone else in the deal, like Sam Cassell?

The only thing I don't like about the Ervin Johnson deal is that we aren't getting someone to back up Dream who is younger whom we can build on for the future. I'd rather us ship Johnson to Portland and get Cato somehow. They'd probably throw in Greg Anthony. They've already talked about such a trade.

I love the Christie deal, and it would be amazing if we got both Christie and Anderson.

If we did, would it make sense to trade Christie to Portland for Stacey Augmon (strong defender) to backup Pippen, or could Christie play SF?

I hope we sign Mack too. We need the 3 point threat, especially if we get rid of Bullard and MacLean, having already got rid of Dickerson and Price.
    <HR ALIGN="CENTER">
    Then we would have:

Dream/(Cato or Johnson)/Roberts/T.Hamilton
    Barkley/Massenburg/V.Hamilton
    Pippen/(Augmon or Christie)/Mack
    Anderson/Mobley/(Cassell, Anthony or Harper)
    Francis/Drew

Put 3 guys on IR and we'd have quite a team for going for the championship as well as building a team for the future. But gelling as a team and developing chemistry in one year will be a challenge, since we'd have 12 new players since a year ago.
    <HR ALIGN="CENTER">
    If what Jeff says about Thomas and Mobley is true, the Christie deal will probably not happen. Unloading Maloney, Bullard and MacLean for Johnson and someone we can trade to Portland would make sense.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I do like the possibility of adding E Johnson as a backup C. But 2 questions bug me about the possible deal (Maloney / MacClean). #1 is, are we SURE we are ready to let Drew play the backup point? I mean, he showed me little last year, and while he's better than Maloney long-term, I am a little worried about having no veteran possibility at such an important position.

Question #2 - if we can make this deal for "the other Ervin", then why not for Cato? The Blazers are reportedly willing to swap Cato for EJ, so why not try to get Cato innstead for the same price?

13. Greg M

Greg M Member

Now this is becoming very interesting.

A couple of points. Firstly, wouldn't it be more feasible to trade a pick and MacLean for Ervin Johnson? It seems to make more sense to me cap wise and involving a possible trade with Toronto. The Raptors most glaring whole is at PG right? So why would we ship Maloney off to MIL when he is needed more in Toronto?

Matt can then take the place of Kenny Thomas, who I am fairly certain can not be traded since he just signed a contract, in a deal with the Raptors. Maybe something on the lines of Maloney, Bullard and Pig Miller for Christie??? I don't see why Toronto would accept such a deal though. I would assume there would be a draft pick involved.

Is there a capologist in the house that can break down the numbers????

------------------
    Bring on Big Stan, Thomas Hamilton and The Pig!!!