1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason Priorities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Jan 15, 2012.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

holy sh$t this guy is my favorite football player ever. so ridiculously cool to have an NFL player so sold out on your franchise and your city.

GO TEXANS!

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is not rocket science: WR, new punter, new kicker, no JJ, bye bye KJ, sign Foster, make a decision on Mario. Next subject.

3. conquistador#11

"see the kind of moves we make"

Let the twitter recruitment begin.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Mario is great, but there is just so much more you can do for the team with that much money than spend it on one guy. Would the $22 million spent on him show on the field as much as spending the cash on resigning players, getting a top FA WR and then adding a veteran to back up Reed and Barwin?

Probably not. How many sacks, rushes and knockdowns would he have added if he played this year considering that whenever he was in, Barwin or Reed would be out?
    (not $22 million worth)

Marquis Colston would be my target. He would be Andre 2 running the slants and bootleg patterns. And one of them would draw 1 on 1 coverage. We could throw 10 yard patterns all day.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

My priorities:

1. Get Wes Welker to Houston. He is unstoppable on third downs. He is a QUICK and SMART receiver. (the OPPOSITE of Jacoby on both counts). Don't underestimate the intelligence factor.

2. New turf at Reliant. The 3 week rodeo shouldn't mean we need to keep awful grass on the field the remaining 49 weeks of the year.

3. Trade Mario for something of value. Mario's price tag should come down the past two years due to his injuries. He also seems to go "invisible" for long stretches in games. JJ Watt and Brooks Reed? They are visible throughout the game.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I heard yesterday that Meachum might be available too....I'd be great with either Colston or Meachum

7. Pete the Cheat

I can't see Welker leaving NE, if they can't come to terms on a contract then he will get franchised...

We could probably get more value out of simply letting Mario walk. That's almost $14MM off the books that you can re-dedicate through free agency

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all are crazy trying to cut Leinart. The guy never had a chance to play, and more importantly, Seattle was prepared to offer him more money than we did.

Dur...

Trade him to Seattle for a pick.

Or any of the other 4-5 teams that are sure to be interested.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

1. Let Mario go (great player, but not worth the money considering the depth at the position)
    2. Sign Foster long term
    3. Release Jacoby Jones
    4. Sign Reggie Wayne
    5. Draft Janoris Jenkins (may or may not have to trade up)
    6. Sign some big NT FA.

10. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

^ no thanks on welker doubt he ever leaves NE anyway

id target Colston and Bowe

11. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

1. Keep Wade
    2. Pay Foster
    3. Resign or trade Mario (im fine with either as long as we get a decent return on him)
    4. Cut Jacoby
    5. Get rid of Rackers unless we cant get anyone better
    6. Yates becomes Qb2 and Leinart Qb3
    Draft:

Round 1: WR (pipe dream to get Blackmon or Alshon...i guess Sanders from Baylor?)
    Round 2: CB (cut kareem and let brandon harris play situationally)
    Round 3 and on: BPA..try to get OL, LB, DL depth in that order

Oh and we need a nickname for Cushing/Watt/Reed/Barwin....White Power! (clayton bigsby voice) would go with Arian Nation but maybe something less controversial would be better

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've never seen a sign-and-trade in the NFL. Also, he goes "invisible" because he draws double-teams, which facilitates other players. Brooks Reed never gets double-teamed.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't we still have that Dejean kid on the injured list? He sure looked good in training camp before he got hurt. Good size too. If he recovers, why couldn't he become our #2 receiver?

14. Pete the Cheat

you still think we can squeeze something out of him after getting injured playing less than a half of football...
    who says Houston fans aren't optimists

15. Pete the Cheat

Lestar Jean, he did look good. but hard to put all your eggs in that basket considering he has only played in meaningless preseason games against 3rd stringers

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I am concerned about Schaub. He's big and slow and makes an easy target. I don't see TJ as a great backup QB at this point, but he's young and should improve.

17. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

That be sweet but I doubt the Pats let him walk and if they did I doubt he would want to come here.....

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

PEYTON MANNING = two Texans super bowls

MAKE IT HAPPEN RICK

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Matt Cassel got franchised then promptly traded to KC.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Doubt that. Yates had an opportunity because of injuries, he had a great offensive line, he had a great running game, he ran an offense that makes it pretty easy on the QB with a lot of wide open bootleg plays, but he was pretty horrible at reading defenses. He really should not even be in charge of the clipboard in the NFL.

It was fine to make a folk hero out of him when we had to, and he did OK till the Ravens, but he's not really good. Just look at the contract and you can tell what the Texans think of Leinart.