1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officiating v. Memphis was a Joke

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rday, Apr 14, 2005.

1. rday

rday Contributing Member

I think we might be the worst officiated team in the league. For the millionth time this season we all had the pleasure of watching the Rockets get beat to a pulp while the officials did nothing to stop it. I don't know what you saw on TV at home but this is what we saw at the game:

- T-Mac getting his legs beat to a pulp every time he called for a pick. As usual he was doubled off the pick and roll all night, but every time he'd try to beat one of the double teamers they'd throw out a leg and trip him. Thats a freakin blocking foul. He hit the floor at least 5 times with no foul called. This wasn't corrected until there was 5 minutes to go in the game after what appeared to be some serious lobbying by David Wesley. Sura, Wesley, and Barry were the lucky recipients of the same no call throughout the night.
    - Yao was routinely raped under the basket on the offensive end of the floor by Gasol, Swift, and Wright. I don't get this one at all. He is the one guy in the league who never gets those calls.
    - Mike James was slapped across the face while an official watched as he was setting up a play. Absolutley inexcusable. This was late in the game. I'm sure the defender was attempting to cause James to react. The retaliator always gets caught.
    - Ryan Bowen was held by Gasol on the last Grizzlies possession and then slung to the floor as they scored.
    - My personal favorite: Pau's oscar winning performance. What a joke. When the officials review that play after the game I hope they make an agreement never to take Pau seriously again. What an ass. Go back to Spain and play soccer Pau, that crap doesn't fly here.

I hope the league doesn't pass this off as "playoff basketball" because thats a load of crap. This isn't the WWE. I'm all for hard fought/physical ball games but this is ridiculous.

As for the Grizzlies, I have no respect for that team. They are a top 4 defensive team in the league (as are we) but they do it the wrong way. If you've watched them much, this is the way it's been the whole year. Way to compensate for not having a star Memphis, you've got a goon platoon; good for you! I really hope San Antonio beats out Phoenix for the top seed; that crap won't fly against the Spurs, they'll get run over by a Mack truck with Texas plates...

As for Gasol... what an ass. I hate his game. As dirty players go, he's working hard to be right up there with Bruce Bowen, Karl Malone, Jerome Williams, etc. The time is coming when he'll try his dirty crap on the wrong guy and he's gonna get a left hook right across that Spanish chin.

Since I mentioned Bruce Bowen: he is the dirtiest guy in the league. I predict he'll get knocked out before his career is over.

2. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Quit complaining about the refs. Every team gets some unfair calls during a game. Officials are HUMAN. they make mistakes. We only see the injustices to the Rockets. If you watched the game from the opposing viewpoint, you would see a couple of bad calls as well.

Lock this thread

3. qiumi

qiumi Member

I noticed you have been very dedicated to this bbs recently.
    Are you monitoring this board 24/7?

Go Rochets!

4. rday

rday Contributing Member

An ******* on clutchfans.com?! What a surprise.

5. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

While I believe officials are human, and calls go both ways sometimes, I have seen highlights and disscussions here on the BBSthat prove that we get the bulk of the bad calls. Blatent fouls, Yao getting raped, Sura getting pushed; and Yao, being the most poorly officiated player in the league. The refs have some sort of a vedetta against Yao, and for some reason against the Rockets. I believe that. I also believe, it will make us a better team in the playoffs when it starts getting tougher. But stop complaining.....Never. Its just amazing to me, how Yao can just be standing there, and the foul is called on him everytime somone goes to the hoop. Okay nowl, lets be fair, not everytime, but 9 of 10 times. Its just absurd.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I thought the officials did ok. There have been many worse games this year.

There were some blown calls, but that went both ways.

The only thing I had a problem with was the consecutive charge/block foul calls, where Padgett took a charge that was really a block and the Yao took a block that was really a charge.

It's not so much that they missed the calls, but that call #2 was obviously a make-up call.

Make-up calls are, without a doubt, the dumbest part of officiating. "We screwed up? Our bad, how about we do it again!"

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. I didn't think this game was that badly officiated, we had a veteran official crew and I think they did a pretty good job letting the players play.

Obviously, there were some blown calls, but thats how it goes. But for the most part, the refs were letting the players play.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

great point. how are you supposed to know how to play a game when one bad call leads to another?

9. rday

rday Contributing Member

I get frustrated when "letting the players play" lends itself to our stars getting pummeled.

10. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Umm...yeah, people make mistakes but if it's repeated and repeated conistently in the game, it's no longer a mistake(s), it's a pattern. The Refs have got to adjust and figure out how to ref Yao and also, you don't have to watch the from the opposing viewpoint to recognize that the Rockets get the benefit of the call as well; it's pretty easy to tell when the Rockets get benefit of a no-call or a cheap foul. Case in point, the last Suns game when T-Mac got Amare to foul out...that could've been easily a no-call with that much time left, and we got lucky.

11. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

The only call I had a problem with was the loose ball foul on Yao in the last 2 minutes. Yao just reaches up for the ball, and Pau comes flying in with reckless abandon. He gets hit in the face (by Yao's hands reaching for the ball) and rolls around on the floor like it's the Olympics all over again. If a guy wants to fly in like that, he's doing it at his own personal risk. Yao gets hit in the face all the time but he doesn't go into full soccer-flop mode to get a call.

12. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I have finally realized something after reading this thread. Fans will blame the officials no matter what! Not just Houston fans, but fans of every team.

I trolled through some Memphis BBS last night, and they were organizing an ancient ceremony to curse the refs for this very game. It's so funny that all fans think their players get no respect and there is some consipiracy against their team.

LOL, I may change my career into alot of things. Being a ref is not one of them.

13. notthefullquid

notthefullquid Contributing Member

Biased or not, I think most of us do think Yao gets awfully officiated.

I'll keep it simple, as my theory is this: notice that scoring is that much higher in basketball? Did everyone become better shooters in just a year? Of course, the perimeter foul-calling is different, but as a philosophical counterpoint, I think Yao is being targeted to be officiated differently, too. The league is obviously discouraging the post-up offense, and Yao would be certainly be the focal point of that discouragement. I don't think Shaq qualifies now, as he is such a freaky athlete that he can get around such roadblocks.

My only problem with this thinking is wondering if David Stern really wants to muffle his golden boy (Yao), so I don't even know if I believe in this conspiracy or not. Sounds possible, though.

14. RealMadridFan

RealMadridFan Member

:D
    Pau sure is a tough guy,right. :D
    Slapping a guy in his face trying to get a rebound is a foul.
    If you hit him intentionally,it's a flagrant foul.
    If you do it unintentionally,is't a foul.
    How can you whine about that call?
    Freaking hilarious.
    The worst non-call yesterday was when Yao hacked Gasol with 2 minutes left in the last quarter.
    There was no call,the Rockets stole the ball and there was a 3point play in the other end.That killed the game.
    And it was a clear hack,it was all arms.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree with A, but not B. You're theory just doesn't make sense.

Scoring is up because of a number of factors, mainly an increase in talent level.

Officiating Yao is hard, though. I think refs are just so conditioned to Shaq that they haven't adjusted to Yao. Which is to say, the only player in the NBA who comes anywhere close to Shaq size-wise is Yao, and Yao is still a beanpole, relatively speaking, in that comparison.

Certainly, Shaq is getting fouled on most every possession. But, Shaq is also fouling on most every possession as well. So, the refs officiate him to try and make the game still enjoyable, and to not call some of the more nit-picky fouls.

They have been officiating Yao the same way. The problem is, Yao is not quite the beast Shaq is, and therefore isn't really dishing out offensive fouls of his own. But defenders are still fouling him, but refs are used a player of that size not being able to be pushed off the block, for example. Where, the fact of the matter is, pushing a post player off the block has to be, by definition, a foul.

The refs have adjusted somewhat. It's up to Yao to learn hwo they officiate as well, which he is constantly doing.

Hopefully, as both improve, and as we get a more defensive minded PF over the summer (hopefully), there will be less opportunities for Yao to pick up fouls, and less of a chance he does when those opportunities occur.

16. rday

rday Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback RealMadrid, you obviously know nothing about what you're talking about; Pau jumped into Yao the whole night, thats not a foul on Yao, thats any act of stupidity on Gasol's part. How about your boyfriend Pau go back to Spain and play some soccer together...

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

eh, the rockets weren't unfairly treated last night and over the course of the season probably aren't any more than other teams. the only exception is yao who is is the most unfairly treated player i've ever seen. i think it'd be that way for him on most teams though unless he played for the lakers, so i don't really consider that a rockets thing.

the stuff that happens like players getting hit right in front of a ref or them blowing a dumb flop call happens to everyone. it's why referees are freaking terrible.

18. Vienna Calling

You really have no idea what you are talking about!

Clutch once called Gasol the most whiny b**** in the NBA. I can't tell you how right he was/is!

BTW, Real Madrid sucks! Go Barca!!!

19. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

If you really want to complain, this is not the right place... You could spend some time compiling some video clips and send them to Stern ..

20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I agree with rday...

This game was officiated poorly. My problem with " letting players play" can result in technicals, fights, suspensions, or injuries.

John Barry was knocked to the floor. there was a no call. The crowd did not like it. This was inexcusable- it should have been a flagrant foul-there was no call....It was a dirty play by Gasol.

Yao Ming got called for a phantom foul on Pau Gasol who flopped. I will never like the flopping after we have been schooled repeatedly over the years by Utah. These calls can affect a close game.

I agree - playoffs -the officials swallow their whistles, but in this circumstance - there were so many bad calls last nite that it could have really affected the outcome of the game.

The idea or need for officials is to offer a level playing field so the best team may win.

the officials really could have done better. I was at the game in section 409 and we screamed our heads off about the calls. many in our section were very vocal. The crowd was not happy..

I did not want to see a fight last nite or an injury...

The officials did not do their job.

PAu Gasol is a whiny little biatch in my opinion. No one fears his crybaby scowl...