1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officials order Iraq to stop counting civilian dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GreenVegan76, Dec 11, 2003.

1. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

AP: Iraq to Stop Counting Civilian Dead

Wed Dec 10, 2:17 PM ET
    By NIKO PRICE, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraqi Health Ministry officials ordered a halt to a count of civilian casualties from the war and told workers not to release figures already compiled, the head of the ministry's statistics department told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The health minister, Dr. Khodeir Abbas, denied that he or the U.S.-led occupation authority had anything to do with the order, and said he didn't even know about the survey of deaths, which number in the thousands.

Dr. Nagham Mohsen, the head of the ministry's statistics department, said the order came from the ministry's director of planning, Dr. Nazar Shabandar, who told her it was on behalf of Abbas. She said the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority, which oversees the ministry, didn't like the idea of the count either.

"We have stopped the collection of this information because our minister didn't agree with it," she said, adding: "The CPA doesn't want this to be done."

Abbas, whose secretary said he was out of the country, sent an e-mail denying the charge.

"I have no knowledge of a civilian war casualty survey even being started by the Ministry of Health, much less stopping it," he wrote. "The CPA did not direct me to stop any such survey either."

"Plain and simple, this is false information," he added.

Despite Abbas' comments, the Health Ministry's civilian death toll count had been reported by news media as early as August, and the count was widely anticipated by human rights organizations. The ministry issued a preliminary figure of 1,764 deaths during the summer.

A spokesman for the CPA confirmed the authenticity of the e-mail, saying the occupation authority contacted the minister by phone and asked him to respond. The CPA didn't provide a phone number, and the minister didn't respond to e-mails requesting further comment.

The CPA spokesman said the coalition had no comment.

Shabandar's office said he was attending a conference in Egypt.

The U.S. military doesn't count civilian casualties from its wars, saying only that it tries to minimize civilian deaths.

Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch, called that policy irresponsible.

"That deliberate ignorance of the past risks condemning the U.S. military to repeating its mistakes into the future and needlessly risking further civilian deaths," he said by telephone from New York.

Roth said the government doesn't count because "politically, it's embarrassing to talk about civilian casualties in one's war effort."

The Associated Press conducted a major investigation of Iraq (news - web sites)'s wartime civilian casualties, documenting the deaths of 3,240 civilians between March 20 and April 20. That investigation, conducted in May and June, surveyed about half of Iraq's hospitals, and reported that the real number of civilian deaths was sure to be much higher.

The Health Ministry's count, which was to be based on the records of all Iraq's hospitals, promised to be more complete.

The ministry began its survey at the end of July, when shaky nationwide communication links began to improve. It sent letters to all hospitals and clinics in Iraq, asking them to send back details of civilians killed or wounded in the war, ministry officials said then.

Many hospitals responded with statistics, Mohsen said, but last month Shabandar told her that Abbas wanted the count halted. He also told her not to release the information she had already collected, she said.

"He told me, `You should move far away from this subject,'" Mohsen said. "I don't know why."

Abbas, the minister, suggested such a study wouldn't be feasible.

"It would be almost impossible to conduct such a survey, because hospitals cannot distinguish between deaths that resulted from the coalition's efforts in the war, common crime among Iraqis, or deaths resulting from Saddam's brutal regime," he wrote.

In fact, the ministry didn't plan to distinguish between casualties caused by U.S. and Iraqi attacks. The AP survey didn't make the distinction either, instead counting all civilian deaths in the war.

Mohsen insisted that despite communications that remain poor and incomplete record-keeping by some hospitals, the statistics she received indicated that a significant count could have been completed.

"I could do it if the CPA and our minister agree that I can," she said in an interview in English.

The number of U.S. soldiers killed in the war is well documented. The Pentagon (news - web sites) says 115 American military personnel were killed in combat from the start of the war to May 1, when President Bush (news - web sites) declared major combat over, and 195 since. Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s regime fell April 9.

Iraqi civilians, too, have continued to die both in U.S. raids of suspected insurgent hideouts and in the rebels' attacks.

Rebels have struck at U.S. military convoys and installations, as well as at Iraqis — such as police officers, politicians and interpreters — who they consider to be collaborating with the coalition forces.

Iraq kept meticulous records of its soldiers killed in action but never released them publicly. Military doctors have said the Iraqi military kept "perfect" records, but burned them as the war wound down.

___

Niko Price is correspondent-at-large for The Associated Press.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&e=13&u=/ap/20031210/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_civilian_casualties

2. GreenVegan76

Hate to bump my own thread, but I had to add this.

Here's a CNN video showing U.S. Marines shooting and killing a downed Iraqi civilian and then cheering. I literally lost my stomach. :(

CNN video

I don't know the circumstances behind it -- maybe the Iraqi had taken out a few guys already. I don't know. But even if this guy was a wounded soldier, the Marines had no right to execute him after he was down.

Regardless of the reason, this video brings home the point that people *really are* dying over there.

WARNING: The video is very graphic.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

On the one hand, I think it's in bad taste for CNN to show this. In some sense, it is out of context, like when Novak takes one phrase from Howard Dean and misrepresents him. We don't know what was happening with these soldiers for the days surrounding this event.

On the other hand, it drives home the fact that war is abolute hell, for everyone involved but the safely sequestered order givers. Everyone who's ever been directly involved in armed conflict will tell you this. (I have not been involved in war directly).

4. SLIMANDTRIM

SLIMANDTRIM Contributing Member

Well maybe you can grab your own arms then fly over there to protect the soldiers that are attacking MY (not OUR) troops. You know you can stand in the back, wait for them to get hit, then run out and start shooting when they attempt to ensure he "isn't getting back up for more trouble."

The more I read on this board, the better understanding I get on why some just don't post back and let these left wing wackos go wild on this board. Yeah, maybe the guy would have stayed down, learned his lesson, and moved on. Or maybe this lunatic is able to garnish enough energy for one last stand which would have killed our boys. If I'm standing in those trenches, that's a decision that I have to make to live another day. And hell yeah I would be happy to kill any a--hole that was trying to take my life. I'm sure the last thing on their mind is to satisfy some NUT sitting in his PJ's who has never lived in that environment, probably never was attacked by anyone in his life and only relishes in this scene with an underlining agenda to attack Bush. Your own selfishness and sickness is disgusting when your messages reflects zero value for our troops lives, just your agenda to attack Bush. No, I am not a Bush fan either, but these issues must be treated differently. They are operating in an environment you will NEVER have to be in. But preaching furthermore to you is useless. You either have common sense by now or you don't.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

:confused: Uh, what is up, SLIMANDTRIM? YOUR troops, not OURS? I totally don't understand the anger. Sounds like we said similar things. We all love our soldiers and want them safe and secure. Some of us think they need to be there getting shot at. Some of us disagree. Those who disagree with you do not necessarily lack common sense.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

This is exactly why we shouldn't have gone in initially and why we should have had much more thought put into what we were going to do after Baghdad fell. We've got a bunch of people not much beyond childhood making life or death decisions that could very easily affect how this thing turns out. Hell yes they're going to shoot anything that even remotely resembles a threat and I almost certainly would too if I were there. But this means that when a soldier makes a decision about defending himself in the immediacy of the perceived threat, he might be undertaking an action that will increase loss later, or increase the number of enemy combatants, or kill someone who didn't deserve it, or kill someone who was revered in the community, etc. By asking our troops to accomplish the military goals of ferreting out ne'er-do-wells, we're putting way too much of a political burden on our troops for this thing to come out successfully. We might as well cede the job of reconstruction to some private from F-troop. It's tragedy as the reult of folly... and both on a grand scale.

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

In my previous post, the word in the last sentence should be "result" and not "reult."

8. GreenVegan76

I definitely understand your anger. I have family fighting in Iraq right now, and I've thanked him more times than I can count.

Unfortunately, everybody in Iraq -- American soldiers and Iraqi civilians -- are subject to senseless violence, as we see in the video. You can lambast me all you want for posting it; but the images are crystal clear -- it's hell over there, and the line between right and wrong seems to be blurring. Maybe the soldiers were right, maybe they were wrong -- but it definitely reminds us that people *really are* dying over there. Pretending otherwise doesn't help anyone.

Until we acknowledge that the Iraq situation isn't all parades and flag-waving, we'll *never* find peace. We can't just ignore all this violence as a product of the environment. We have a responsibility to our country --- and to humanity -- to acknowledge all repercussions of our actions.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

ne'er-do-wells

make that "evil doers"

10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hell yes they're going to shoot anything that even remotely resembles a threat and I almost certainly would too if I were there. rimrocker

American society will pay a price for this war in the years to come, like with the Vietnam Vets. PTSD, and drug abuse and spouse abuse and homelessness and crime.

It is easy for the pro-war types to be real ball busters on the bbs. Perhaps not so easy to get over the guilt if they were to realize later that he killed someone needlessly just cause he lost his cool or was stressed out by such a screwed up environment. .

Some of you guys should talk to some vets with ptsd. It might give you another picture of war.