1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series: Astros vs. Nationals

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 22, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

they traded for him so the stros had another quality pitcher outside their aces. and its obvious the situation has come up in the playoffs and tonight. whether it works out remains to be seen. one things for sure, it was much better than doing nothing and forced to go with miley has your #3 starter. I'll easily take a former cy young winner in this situation

RayRay10, Nook and Tfor3 like this.
  2. mightybosstone

I thought the same thing last night, but the Astros kept having one- and two-pitch outs against Strasburg. They need to be more patient and have longer, better at-bats against Scherzer. Even if the guy is banged up, if he's only throwing 10-12 pitches per inning, he's going to be on the mound a while. If they can put a few 20-plus-pitch innings on the guy and knock him out in five, that's the recipe for success. An even better gameplan would be to just hit the crap out of him, and get him out earlier.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Don't know what is going on, but I just went through a health crises myself. Sports is just a fun fantasy, life is for real. Prayers going your way.

SemisolidSnake, Tfor3 and YOLO like this.
  4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't know. It had to at least cross their minds. Verlander and Cole were intended to be the Game 1 and 2 starters. Which would leave Greinke as the Game 3 and 7 starter.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Their bullpen will be their starters.

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

RustyHarden and lw17 like this.
  7. dannah

dannah Member

LOL...so now it's Altuve's fault we lost. This is funny,
    It was a collective failure. Verlander screwed up, Altuve screwed up, Yordan screwed up, Chirinos screwed up and Hinch also screwed up

everyday eddie and lw17 like this.
  8. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Astros have to work counts tonight. We need to get that PC up early.

And then please hit with runners in scoring position!! I'm not sure how many more squandered opportunities I can take.

everyday eddie and desihooper like this.
  9. count_dough-ku

I didn't say it was Altuve's fault we lost the game. Lots of players contributed. Correa also struck out with RISP. But that was the turning point of the game. If Altuve at least hits another sac fly like he did in the first inning, the game is tied and that changes everything. Hinch likely has a much shorter leash on Peacock in the next inning and he sure as hell doesn't put Devo in the game later. Every move he made after Altuve and Brantley's outs looked like a manager planning ahead for a Game 7.

everyday eddie and YOLO like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Yup.

I want an instant classic.

I want this game to one talked about in 50 years.

I want a historic defining moment for the Astros....... I want someone to do something that overshadows their career and is the first thing people think of when they think of that player....

Go big or go home.

I want Kirk Gibson rounding the bases...... but in a game 7....... I want cars flipped over in Houston and people roaming the streets and partying outside MMP until the wee hours of the morning.

I want Bregman and Cole partying with the fans on the road two hours after the game.

I want Altuve's uniform ripped and tattered.

I want Alvarez' big stoic face to have a goofy smile and Kyle Tucker to look lost and confused.

In September I want to be walking through the air port and see pre season papers and magazines with headlines like: "Astros Going for Three".

I want to read @Buck Turgidson drunk posting about some crazy crap he did at a concert 25 years ago because he is excited from the Astros game.

I want to see @mad max 94 use the Lord's name in vain because he is elated.

King1, gatsby, Buck Turgidson and 3 others like this.
  11. count_dough-ku

12. mightybosstone

This. And as much as I hate to say it, Harris did, too. Harris had been my Astros' postseason MVP up to that point, but consider that the game was 3-2 when he took over and gave up that 2-run shot to Rendon. That home run took a tight, competitive game and made it feel one-sided.

Bottom line, you can't put this loss on any one player. There's plenty of blame to go around. But if they suck it up and play to their potential tonight, they can erase all that and we can stop playing the blame game.

13. dannah

dannah Member

7, 8 and 9 need to do something tonight

mightybosstone likes this.
  14. mightybosstone

Lineup makes sense, but I'm not going to lie—a big part of me wanted to see Tucker in there instead of Reddick. I just think Tucker's presence at the plate and on the bases puts way more pressure on opposing pitchers than Reddick does. Reddick's defense is certainly a plus, but the Astros need to put runs on the board tonight.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Feeling more and more like a big win.

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

17. count_dough-ku

Correa especially. I know he had the homer in Game 4, but outside of that, he's been terrible at the plate.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  18. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Y u do dis Astros . I’m so nervous

mokulen, boomboom and mikol13 like this.
  19. vonbock

vonbock Member

Strasberg said he was tipping his pitches in the 1st inning. Shoot, if Astros didn't have the tip help, they would have been shut out.

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Astros have scored 2 runs in the 1st inning of all 3 home games in the World Series, all started by Cole, Verlander (2) and the Astros are 0-3.

[​IMG]

I hope we don't score 2 runs in the 1st inning tonight???

Tfor3, mokulen and Jake Tower like this.