1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEW NAME: Official Waiting for DMo's First Game Back as a Player Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Who cares if he has no credibility re: matching?

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'd match, but I'm loving the minutes Harrell is getting and he'll probably be out of the rotation. But injuries are always a possibility and he'll add to the depth.

butterball likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Whoever made the post that said he will match because he wants to keep his credibility intact with the players.

DD

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Win what exactly? What is there is enough intel out there that shows there are x number of free agents that want to sign next Summer with the cap space D-Mo will now eat up, and that those players are in more important roles on the team where they aren't going to push out flourishing young players for PT like Dekker & Harrell? Maybe signing D-Mo ends up being the difference between signing and not signing a Gordon Hayward who helps the Rockets dramatically contend for another 3 to 5 years in Harden's prime.

Look... DD... I get it. Take all the good players you can and don't lose them for nothing. Don't get too caught up in what your team "Could Be" next Summer on paper, and try to win games now.

All I'm saying is like every point you make, you oversimplify and every decision in your mind is black & white, good or bad. Alot of times your logic makes sense to consider, but its YOUR LOGIC, and sometimes there are reasons for decisions that are complex. Re-signing D-Mo here is a pretty logical decision IF it doesn't affect the Rockets long term. I think he will be back because of the 3 month weird clause he has that the Rockets can get out of the contract if he just comes in and is 4th string, and plays like crap. But there is a bigger story to tell here, and things to consider beyond your oversimplified logic.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

@dobro1229
    No sir, you don't get it...Harden has X amount of years, the team is 13-7 and has played 14 on the road, they are looking like CONTENDERS this year, so why the **** would you kick the can down the road and waste another one of Harden's years for an unlikely "MAYBE" scenario when you can try to win NOW?

DD

RCPM, ramotadab, butterball and 2 others like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't really have a problem with all this because I never saw this season as a competitive season. I did not believe the owner and GM's hype that we are a team looking for homecourt advantage. Even in the monumental position we're in right now to compete for a top 4 spot, I'm impressed but a bit cautious. The team is just not that good to me.

My problem though is that a person who believes a 29 year old Ryno is worth signing to 4 years $80m must believe that we are competing. We could have tanked and ended up with a high pick and an FA to pair with Harden. Can you imagine if we could add a MAX FA and a top 5 pick to Harden and MDA? That person, whoever it is that drove that deal, must believe that a top 4 team that is performing beautifully IS a D-Mo away from solidifying the grip on a top 4 seed. My feeling is that Morey doesn't want ANY of it to happen - he didn't want Ryno at that price, and he doesn't want D-Mo back for this price, wanted to tank. But Harden and MDA and Les are not on the same page as Morey, and they all want to go for it.

While I don't agree with the direction this team has taken - to just win as much as possible without thinking about big picture - I do find it important that a strategy is executed consistently. They should sign D-Mo and stick to the plan of competing immediately, and the day after Morey needs to be on the phone moving Brewer for an expiring. Hopefully come summer time, all our players are going to have improved their value, so if we happen to secure a major FA, it won't be difficult to dump 2 of Ariza/Beverley/Anderson/Gordon depending on the position of the player we're getting. Probably Anderson, and Anderson might be looking great come season's end.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I think he fits every system imaginable, a team player, can shoot, pass, move without ball, hustles, can create his own shot, nice postup game, can protect the rim, solid defender, skillful at taking charges, can run, the only thing i didn't see from him is a midrange game and his rebounding stats are lower than your typical PF, C.

ramotadab and butterball like this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You obviously didn't read my post and just responded to the first highlight of the post that "seemed" to disagree with you. The notion that D-Mo helps now so sign him for whatever is oversimplifying the situation. I agree that it is "probably" the right move to make to sign him, but you have to fully look at all of the ramifications.

Even if you rule out free agency "Kicking the Can" for the sake of "we actually are contenders", you still have to consider adding D-Mo to a situation where it will mess with chemistry, and D'Antoni might have to mess with lineups that are very effective right now, and it has a negative affect.

I personally think it will be fine, and ultimately SOMEONE (if I had to guess Nene) will miss extended time at the big spot so its good to have the depth, but if everyone stays healthy (good problem to have) someone is going to be pissed at not getting PT which could affect the locker room.

Just saying DD... don't oversimplify things with DD Logic and objectively listen to what some of the potential issues might be with resigning him. We know that these discussions are happening in the front office that will ultimately make the decision whether you agree or not. It would help if people understood why they made them rather than just getting pissed and saying Morey needs to be fired if he doesn't do what DD wants.

Batman Jones likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Nice little plan, me personally wouldn't like them to trade Brewer, he's playing under control now and its nice to have him on the roster as chaos sandwich, bringing energy and professionalism and contributing 5-10 minutes occasionally.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'm almost certain he's gone now. If they wanted him back, they would have matched already so he could start getting ready for the game Monday.

11. SAT Prep

SAT Prep Member

I've a hard time imagining he'd play at all Monday (barring a blow out) even if we matched the first day available. Any-who, I hope we match. You don't get sweet catchy rhyming commentary for every player after they hit a three "DMO for 3-MO!"

#firstpost

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I disagree that he's nice to have around, I think he's a very selfish player on the court, but the point is with this D-Mo contract we're now in the place where we can't just have things that are nice to have. The choices are tighter. Brewer or McDaniels for 10 minutes a game is basically meaningless, no difference in production. With Brewer we need to cut our losses.

You get rid of Brewer now because you don't want to deal with it in the summer, especially since he's meaningless to our future. He'll have nothing to do with where we go. It's going to be hard enough this summer having to create space as is. If we match D-Mo and keep him, we're looking at about $3m in capspace next summer. If we want to sign someone to max, we'd have to dump Anderson or Gordon and Ariza or Gordon and Bev.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. hakeemthagreat

Exactly. Harrell's play has made DMo expendable. His energy, hustle & defense are things that this team needs in the second unit. DMo isn't really needed anymore

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If you followed my posts as well as what I was responding to, you would have understood instead of jumping on it as a "silly post". I have always, always considered D-Mo an injury risk since he went down, but that's in terms of an UNKNOWN future prognosis. D-Mo has not had a HISTORY of being injury prone or showed any inability to stay healthy. To say that he is unable to stay healthy is a blatant lie and marking of a disingenuous agenda as D-Mo has been very healthy until the back injury. You cannot "stay healthy" until you "become healthy", something D-Mo has not actually had a chance to show either way, hence the low contract he has received.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

He WAS a good rotational player and only for A SINGLE INCOMPLETE SEASON. We have ZERO idea of what he is capable of NOW. I don't believe that D-Mo will bump us into that top, top tier status with our current team, but I rather have him than not have him for that contract.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Just 3 pages on this DMO thread?

Safe to say this thread has lost it's legs

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DMo is not stressing

[​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Really hope Trez and Sams minutes don't get cut. They are going to be important to this team toward the end of the year IMO.

Trez, Sam > DMo

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I doubt Sam's will as he will gobble up any and all Brewer's numbers ideally. Trez definitely will, though not as much, since D-Mo would ideally be cannibalizing Nene's minutes.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think the same. Sam should be pretty save at this point.

hakeem94 likes this.