1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Texans training camp/pre-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Aug 3, 2011.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

[UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL] Texans training camp/pre-season thread

Ok, enough with the off-season thread. Football is back!!

#1 codell, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

I am actually excited this season. It's a different kind of exitement. Not the blind optimism of season's past, but I don't see a whole lot of holes on the team that isn't normal with most teams. I don't believe we are a superbowl contender at this point, but barring any Kubiak "doh!" moments, it should be am exciting season to make a playoff run...and fingers crossed, maybe a chance at a ring...(there's that homeristic optimism y'all were looking for!)

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cautiously optimistic.

The limited training camp during a conversion to a new defense has me worried a little. It could be week 4 before the defense really starts to gel.

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Better not get one sized based on AJohnson's dislocated finger.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yeah, that's my fear too. I'm a little more than *cautiously* optimistic, but I still have some trepidation. The first 6 weeks of the schedule are brutal, so if the team has any missteps, we could be looking at a 2-4 (or even worse) start. I just hope they can use the pre-season to be really productive in terms of getting reps together, and chemistry.

6. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Would be curious to hear some reports on Ben Tate out of camp since his injury last season pretty much makes him a forgotten rookie this season.

7. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Link:
    http://texans.studiotigaapps.net/transcripts/august-3,-2011-am-practice.aspx

Houston Texans Transcripts
    Training Camp Practice #5 (Morning)
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Head Coach Gary Kubiak:

OLB Brian Braman:

WR Jeff Maehl:

QB T.J. Yates:

RB Arian Foster:

T Eric Winston:

8. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

heard he has looked good and is moving well...showing signs of his speed has returned.

9. liljojo

liljojo Member

Haha, that Winston sure knows how to shut people up.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Different school, but that quote made me think of this scene:

[​IMG]

Can't you just hear Explosions in the Sky in the background as you read it?

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I've had hour long conversations about fantasy and Texans, football is the only thing on my mind now. I feel so one dimensional.

12. ima_drummer2k

Just found out I get to attend Texans practice Saturday morning! I will take lots of pics and try to post them here on Monday.

13. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Ill be there too! Where you sitting?

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

8/3 Camp Notes - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7681889.html

DON'T TOUCH SCHAUB: Linebacker Connor Barwin barreled around the offensive line and swiped down on Matt Schaub's arm, coming a little too close to contact with the quarterback. Members of the offense all barked at Barwin afterward.

TESTY, TESTY: During special teams gunner drills, where two defenders are trying to thwart one player from advancing down the field for coverage, things got a little chippy between free agent rookie wide receiver Terrance Toliver and veteran cornerback Jason Allen. They were entangled, and Allen pulled Toliver down the ground. Cooler heads prevailed, but not before words were exchanged by both parties. Moments later, though, Toliver and Allen were both smiling.

MORE WATTAGE: Rookie defensive end J.J. Watt showed some good burst in working against starting left tackle Duane Brown, who was forced to backpedal.

APPLAUSE FOR DICKERSON: Dorin Dickerson certainly helped his cause with a terrific catch in traffic, dropped in between a couple of defenders. Lots of cheers for the second-year wide receiver for that.

T.J.'S TIME: It's been an uneven few days for rookie T.J. Yates, who has taken many more reps than a No. 3 quarterback would usually expect at this time of the year. But because Matt Leinart can't practice until tomorrow, Yates has picked up the slack. He had a nice moment Wednesday, uncorking a long completion along the sideline to undrafted rookie free agent wide receiver Lester Jean.

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i hate to get too excited about a guy with very little experience, but i just have a great feeling about Dorin.

16. ima_drummer2k

Not sure yet. It's something called Breakfast with the Texans. From 8 to 12. That's about all I know. I wonder if we'll actually get to have breakfast with the Texans. :eek:

17. liljojo

liljojo Member

This FA rule is r****ded. I wanna see the new guys play.

18. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

it is ridiculous but at least they start tomorrow.

19. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

There may be a snag in having free agents practice tomorrow developing...

Link:
    http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/8/3/2342222/road-block-to-free-agent-reporting-nfl-commissioners-power-still

20. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member