1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans sign Vince Wilfork

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Mar 16, 2015.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

There's a difference between a player being done and a player not being worth their contract.

This is more the latter than the former. Same with AJ.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Logan Mankins
    Adam Vinatieri
    Lawyer Malloy
    Richard Seymour
    Wes Welker
    Greg Spires
    David Thomas

All went on to have continued success after the Patriots let them go.

Deion Branch was kind of a mediocre player for the Patriots (product of the system) that continued at that level and then the Patriots traded to bring him back.

Honestly, it's the coaches that fail when they leave NE, not really the players. That's just names I could think of. I'm sure there are other rotation level guys that have continued to be rotation level guys elsewhere.

None of that means Wilfork will be a stud here, just that Bellicheck isn't some genius at knowing when it's time to move on.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How is that? We've signed nice pieces, but nobody that is a game changer.

JJo was one of the elite CBs in the league, entering his prime, when he signed with us. Manning was one of the top FS. JJ Watt needs no introduction.

Those were 3 players that were all better than anyone we have signed this offseason.

4. justtxyank

Absolutely agree with this. This has been a nice offseason, but that JJo offseason was one that turned this team into something we saw as a real contender for an AFC title game.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Asante Samuel, Aqib Talib...

The Patriots have obviously built a tremendous organization and they've earned a great deal of respect. But having a QB like Tom Brady, who is not only one of the five best QBs of all-time but also one of the most sefless (seriously, compare his career money to Peyton's), can cover up A LOT of mistakes. The Patriots are not perfect (check their draft record, for instance) and we shouldn't automatically assume they never make mistakes.

As DM said, I don't think Wilfork is gone because the Patriots think he's washed up; I think he's gone because he wanted one more decent pay day and the Patriots respectfully let him pursue that elsewhere. But there's every indication that if Wilfork had struck out, NE would have happily taken him back.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, I mean, let's be honest... the offseason in which you draft JJ Watt is going to win even if the team signed 14 Ahman Green's around him.

It's been a very workman-like offseason. They've addressed sincere needs either by retaining their best free agents or finding solid new blood. Wilfork alone... if he still has gas in the tank and if Cushing is anywhere near healthy........... this is a legitimate top 5 defense that is going to absolutely tear people apart. Cushing must be thrilled. Man, I hope he's healthy....

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Eh. Manning was considered above average. One of the better FA safeties, but not one of the best safeties period.

JJo was good, but not even in the top 20. Another case of a top-tier free agent, but not a top-tier overall guy.

Since the 2015 season hasn't happened yet, it's hard to grade it against the 2011 season given what we know now about Watt. Before the season kicked off, Watt was a seriously panned pick that no one expected much of.

Everybody shat themselves in 2011 because we got exactly the two signings we needed (CB, S) at reasonable prices while everyone else was clamoring over Nnamdi and Mikell.

It was the first time in Texans history where we didn't completely strike out in FA in humiliating fashion, but even better, we hit a stand-up double (which turned into something far greater as Watt became Godlike).

2015 has potential to be better than 2011, but right now, it's unfair to judge them against each other except for the amount of buzz/hype.

8. justtxyank

Tom Brady is the 2nd highest paid NFL player of all time, and is $75 million short of Peyton Manning. However, Manning has him beat in years by 2. By the time their careers are done, Manning will have earned maybe $40 million more than Brady, which is understandable considering Brady didn't become an elite quarterback until later in his career.

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I'm late to the party, what exactly did John Lopez say to get ridiculed this time?

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Premature sauces.

11. Buck Turgidson

I wonder who has made more money, Brady or his wife? I'm guessing the model.

12. justtxyank

His justification is bizarre on it. I heard him today saying that his source told him yesterday morning that things didn't look good with Wilfork.

That's just not what he wrote though. His story was way more matter of fact than he says now. He wrote that Wilfork had left Houston and the Texans were out, with Indy, Bal, and NE the only teams left being considered. That is a pretty big leap from "things aren't looking good" or "it's doubtful" like he tried to say last night.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

His source was McClain who also knows nothing but Pancakes couldn't release that info publicly because he needed to keep the Wilfork headlines on life support to earn clicks. Of course the Wilfork to Houston story was in play but they didn't know that. They never do.

14. Buck Turgidson

You needed a reason other than "it's John Lopez"? He's been a horrible excuse of a journalist for years and years now. How he stays employed baffles me.

I missed that whole story yesterday, I'll have to check out the other thread.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

God I hope Wilfork has at least one good season left in him. I don't want another Reed situation.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Wilfork can throw also:

[​IMG]

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

An out of shape or just bad nose tackle is a far less disastrous issue than an out of shape/bad safety.

Even if Wilfork cannot move... he still takes up space, and they'll still have Watt and/or Clowney primarily creating the bulk of the havoc regardless of who the NT is.

18. justtxyank

I don't think it was McClain because McClain's buddy Brian T. Smith was on the radio at the exact same time saying Wilfork was in Houston still and that it was better than 50/50 he signed here.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Congrats on signing with the Texans <a href="https://twitter.com/wilfork75">@wilfork75</a> ,between <a href="https://twitter.com/JJWatt">@JJWatt</a> and Big VW, <a href="https://twitter.com/clownejd">@clownejd</a> no more excuses.</p>&mdash; Cris Carter (@criscarter80) <a href="https://twitter.com/criscarter80/status/577577455747084288">March 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm sure clowney's torn meniscus surgery and eventual micro fracture surgery ='s "making excuses."