1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Texans Season Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ender120, Jul 23, 2004.

1. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

that puts us at a paltry 2-4 in the division, but 6-6 in the AFC. i'm not sure that's gonna be good enough for the playoffs even with that (very generous prediction of a) record. i'll go with 8-8 this year, with the potential for playoffs in 2005.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

This is the first year that I will be disappointed if the Texans lose a game. During the first two years, I just wanted to watch them play well, didnt really care if they won or lost. This year, however, will be different. A loss will mean that I am going to be miserable until the following Sunday. Im expecting big improvements.

I think they will probably go 8-8 this year.

QB - This is Carr's year to step it up a notch. If he cant make considerable strides this year, then you can basically bank on him never really panning out like we had hoped. The pieces around him have filled out, and with two years under his belt, this is the time to break out.

RB - I think Double D is perfect for this team. He has great vision and cutback ability. He can catch the ball out of the backfield and he can break tackles. Ive read a lot about questions regarding his durability. If he can stay healthy all year long, I expect 1300 yards and about 10 TDs.

WR/TE - I think we have a good combination of receivers. I would like to see AJ be a bigger part of the offense and I think we will see just that. He has all the tools to be a top NFL wideout. Im hoping for about 80-90 receptions. That would be nice. Bradford will do a nice job in stretching the defense and hopefully Gafney can find some holes within 15 yards of the l.o.s.. As far as TE is concerned, Im looking forward to seeing Joppru on the field.

O-Line - The addition of Wade and Wand to the starting squad adds a lot of size and strength. With Pitts moving to guard, his more natural position, it looks like the o-line is poised to have a good year. With the new blocking schemes coming into play this year, I think that will help our offense tremendously.

Defense - 2 concerns...Wong and Coleman. Regarding Wong, the move to the "weak" side should help his numbers. If it doesnt, then it is obvious that he just needs to go. Babin will be starting on the "strong" side and this was done to help alleviate pressure on Wong. So, he's gotta shine now. Coleman's move to the secondary could be a huge success. He had tried playing there early in his career and he flopped. Hopefully, with the added experience, he will be able to handle the job nicely. I think the defense can be ranked between 12-15 next year, a nice improvement from the previous year.

3. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

9ine and 7even

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

People have not noticed this but we interestingly match up very well now against the colts and Titans.

I see us going 9-6-1 easily.

No team will blow us out - no team will enjoy an easy win against us.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I see them going 7 -9, which could go to 9 -7 with some tough wins...

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The Titans D-Line is much weaker this year than last year. Davis should have a nice time running the ball. Last year Mack bragged about how he would get 100yds on the Titans and I think he ended up with 35.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

8-8, but with a few lucky breaks we could easily be a lot better. We had a killer schedule last year and a few games (Jets, Titans, Patriots), we gave away.

This year, much easier schedule and a lot of upgrades. The OL is looking great with a lot of quality depth. The offense should be ready to bust out and let us not forget Bennie Joppru the TE who was hurt all of last season.

Two keys:

Open up the offense. Yeah ball control, yeah running DD until he has a heart attack is a great strategy. Whatever... we have serious weapons on this team! Speed on the outside with Bradford and Johnson. Great hands in the middle with Gaffney, Miller, and Joppru. Damn it use them! Play conservative after you get a good lead. If we're not one of the top offenses in the AFC I will be highly disapointed.

Injuries to the DL. Still thin here. Our top three can match up with anyone after that... pray. If Payne, Walker, and Smith stay injury free I think we can make the playoffs.

Go Texans!!!!!

8. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

7-9 but alot of close games

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

11-5

Point spread per game 11 to 5. 10 & 6? Maybe. But at least 8 wins... maybe more. Hopefully a playoff spot.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

If you want to look at it realistically, which I do not like to do, the team ranked near last in offense and defense. Despite the fact that the Texans have legitimate weapons. Reality bites. 6-10 if they get lucky.

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

True, but that was last year. They added Wade who helped anchor an offensive line and an offense that was tops in the league in rushing and Smith who was a key part in a Titans' defensive front and team that was number one in run defense last season. With Payne returning, our three man front is going to eat up blockers: Walker (all-pro) 6-2 305lbs, Payne 6-4 303lbs, Smith 6-4 310lbs. Our defensive front will be strong and will open up lanes for our linebackers and there is no doubt about that, but from that point it will be up to these semi-unproven linebackers to get to the quarterback. If the linebackers are able to take advantage of the schemes and lanes opened by the line to create pressure, our secondary (upgraded on paper) will have it that much easier. The question marks that I have regarding the team surround Chris Palmer. I hope with the experience and upgrades gained on offense he is able to open up the playbook. Realistically, barring serious injuries, the Texans could go 10-6, as I posted earlier with the schedule.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The offensive line is terrible, and Dunta Robinson is at least two years from being able to defend NFL WRs. I predict 6-10, since we play Indy and Tenn 4 times.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

That's pure speculation. Terrance Newman held his own and played well last year despite being pick on. And I wouldn't say the offensive line is terrible.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

why is the OL terrible? i would agree year one's offensive line was terrible. but not last year. davis doesn't have the year he had behind a terrible OL.

15. drapg

drapg Member

Sept. 12 San Diego Chargers - Reliant Stadium W
    Sept. 19 Detroit Lions - Ford Field L
    Sept. 26 Kansas City Chiefs - Arrowhead Stadium L
    Oct. 3 Oakland Raiders - Reliant Stadium W
    Oct. 10 Minnesota Vikings - Reliant Stadium L
    Oct. 17 Tennessee Titans - The Coliseum L
    Oct. 24 BYE WEEK
    Oct. 31 Jacksonville Jaguars - Reliant Stadium W
    Nov. 7 Denver Broncos - INVESCO Field at Mile High L
    Nov. 14 Indianapolis Colts - RCA Dome L
    Nov. 21 Green Bay Packers - Reliant Stadium L
    Nov. 28 Tennessee Titans - Reliant Stadium W
    Dec. 5 New York Jets - The Meadowlands L
    Dec. 12 Indianapolis Colts - Reliant Stadium L
    Dec. 19 Chicago Bears - Soldier Field W
    Dec. 26 Jacksonville Jaguars - ALLTEL Stadium L
    Jan. 2 Cleveland Browns - Reliant Stadium W

Regular season results: 6-10

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sept. 12 San Diego Chargers - Reliant Stadium W
    Sept. 19 Detroit Lions - Ford Field W
    Sept. 26 Kansas City Chiefs - Arrowhead Stadium L
    Oct. 3 Oakland Raiders - Reliant Stadium W
    Oct. 10 Minnesota Vikings - Reliant Stadium W
    Oct. 17 Tennessee Titans - The Coliseum L
    Oct. 24 BYE WEEK
    Oct. 31 Jacksonville Jaguars - Reliant Stadium W
    Nov. 7 Denver Broncos - INVESCO Field at Mile High L
    Nov. 14 Indianapolis Colts - RCA Dome L
    Nov. 21 Green Bay Packers - Reliant Stadium L
    Nov. 28 Tennessee Titans - Reliant Stadium W
    Dec. 5 New York Jets - The Meadowlands W
    Dec. 12 Indianapolis Colts - Reliant Stadium L
    Dec. 19 Chicago Bears - Soldier Field L
    Dec. 26 Jacksonville Jaguars - ALLTEL Stadium W
    Jan. 2 Cleveland Browns - Reliant Stadium W

Final Record - 9-7
    Division record - 3-3
    AFC record - 4-2

Book it!

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

12-4 . we are beating Jacksonville and the colts.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

10-6

Go Texans!!

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

So if we win this game today. Wouldn't a lot of the board have been happy with 6 and 10?

We could have honestly had a better record but we tripled our win total from last year with a ton of injuries on the lines.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm very happy. I truly can't wait for next year. I hope we get Kolb. I hope the fans don't get stiffed again.

With that said, I'm pumped that two seasons from this one, I will no longer have to work every weekend, and I will be able to afford the NFL ticket (If I choose to do so), where I can watch the Texans. It's a long ways away, but I miss the Texans. :D