1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Ravens

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 22, 2017.

1. 1234567

1234567 Member

Tank
    Yank
    Bank

Well

That's that

On to Rockets

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Do you think the Texans will be able to replace 4 offensive lineman this offseason? We're still going to have a terrible OLine no matter what we try this offseason. Watson has now torn both ACLs...his health and his play style combined with our OLine...there is no question the Texans need to be better prepared if Watson misses one drive or one season, or anything in between. We cant concede games just because Watson isnt on the field. You need at least a decent backup...but a backup with mobility to run the same offense Watson is able to run. We had specific plays run that were purely based around Watson's ability to get outside the tackles and make plays. OBrien got creative for once in his life and actually made **** happen. Watson obviously helped make it look good, but there is no doubt the offense was better run because Watson had scrambling ability. If Savage had any athletic bone in his body and was able to run any of the play types we ran with Watson, we would still be a fun team to watch....and we'd still be in the hunt for the playoffs.

The Texans cant afford another wasted season if Watson cant play all 16 games.

Unless there is a back up veteran QB with scrambling ability available, then the Texans need to draft one at some point later in the draft. Going into next season with a statue at back up QB is just a recipe for disaster.

Having said that, it's refreshing to hear you say that Watson beat teams with his arm....since you knocked his arm strength and his accuracy religiously prior to Week 2. It's good to have everyone in agreement over his arm now.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Texans as a organization has to be smarter if they really care about winning. This is your classic cheap skate texans move. Yeah go ahead and just say the season is gone and we decided to save money by doing this move. I bet these clowns extend some irrelvant replaceble player again like CJF or a fullback.

TejasTom likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's important to note that Watson didn't get hurt due to the O line, he had a non contact injury during practice.

To answer your question, no, they won't be able to replace 4 O linemen, but they wouldn't have to in order to make the line better than it is now, which has to be the goal.

If Watson gets hurt, the season is effectively over, that's just life when you have a franchise QB and there's realistically nothing that is going to change that unless you have a great head coach like Bill Belichick....and right now we don't even have a competent head coach.

Even with Savage at QB, the Texans would be in the hunt for the playoffs if not for the injuries to the defense, and that seems to be what you want. Now the season would still be effectively over, just like when Matt Schaub went down before the Texans made their first playoff appearance, but you'd get that one and done excitement. No team can bounce back from losing 2 defensive stars and their franchise QB. It's just asking too much.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are consistently confused about what moves like this mean.....oh and CJF is still the team's best TE which I guess you see as an irrelevant position which is weird.

I mean, if you are just trying to throw up hot takes for the sake of being ridiculous, it's cool, but the reason they moved on from Lamarr Houston was that he's got no future with the team so they might as well check out what some of the young guys can do and get them a bit of experience. It wasn't about "saving money" given that Houston was a league minimum player.

I like your enthusiasm, but c'mon man, you've gotta do better.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Tough to just look at the individual players to show that the unit as a whole was better. The entire 2013 team is a good example of that. Carr was awful , but that OL gave up damn near 5 sacks a game. The offensive problems weren't exclusively on the OL but they were a biggest issue easily IMO.

8. prohibido

prohibido Member

I'm not going to argue this to death and I'll give you the last word if you want it but to me in 2002 Carr was the main issue with the sacks. You know what? I'll expand that - Carr and the very poor skill position talent he had around him. He really didn't have a hell of a lot to work with. Who was that back from OSU? Jonathan something. He was the feature back. Damn, I can't even remember his last name. Wells! I had to look it up. I would never have remembered his name. But fortunately it gave me the chance to remember good old Charles Hill, third round pick on an expansion team who did literally nothing and was never heard from again, beginning an outSTANding Texans tradition of doing profoundly stupid things in the third round.

But I believe strongly that this year's line is clearly worse than 2002's and I really don't see how anyone can argue against that.