1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Patriots

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well I'd hope not because there's literally no scenario where that is or has ever been an accurate statement about any one game in any professional sport ever.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'm just gonna go on record saying we blow people's minds and win this one. I won't be any less pissed off about losing just because I say or know we will lose beforehand so screw it. If I am wrong, everyone will be too upset to come call me out. If I am right, this better get some likes.

Texans 20
    Patriots 17

Brock has massive chip on his shoulder, but it is actually Lamar Miller, a catch and run by Fuller, and the return game that keeps us in the game, then Brock leads a 4th quarter, game winning drive using CJ and Griffin the whole time then connecting with DHop for TD.

Defense plays to shut up the haters, Clowney goes to interview podium holding a can of tomatoes.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My G-d. you are an ass. It was intentionally sarcastic. You know...a joke based on the fact that you blame a majority of Osweiler's ills on the receiving corps.

You really have some serious issues with how you deal with people. There's a reason why you're almost universally disliked and no one takes you even remotely seriously in here. You can get your post count up to 10,000 per day and still you would remain a joke.

I'm sorry that I offended you as you are such a delicate flower that can't take such an obvious joke.

4. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

ok yeah. but has their 2nd string QB beaten us? ;)

#104 CisBuds4U, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    ramotadab likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you were being an ass based on your flawed understanding of my opinion and you are upset that I called you out on it? LOL, it's funny that "special" people like you are always the ones that think I have a problem dealing with people while those with fully functioning brains never seem to have a problem. Oh well, if you were more important it would matter.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Here is the rationalization:

1) When we lost 27-0 it was a perfect storm of ****. Multiple special teams turnovers, the most conservative gameplan of all time, no Duane Brown, etc. Things have changed since then. Demps became a starting safety which made a huge difference, the defense was changed following Watt being done for the year, Clowney has gone beast mode and truly gotten 100% comfortable, Duane Brown is back and the play calling has gotten...well let's just skip that one lol. So the argument is that we are definitely a better team and to be a little crude, the team's nuts dropped finally.

2) We have played good teams since then, such as Green Bay, and hung in there with them. We have gotten better since that game.

3) When we played New England, it wasn't really as bad as the score indicates. We were doing a great job shutting down Blount until a big run in the 4th quarter. Other than one run his YPC was less than 4.0. They didn't really do much on offense against us except for the possessions where we handed them the damn ball after a special teams turnover.

I personally think that even with everything I said above and everything going right for us, we are still a touchdown underdog, but is there a SINGLE scenario where we can win? Of course. I think games against Oakland, Detroit and Green Bay show that we can compete with good teams. We don't have to be better than New England to win, just play better one time. That is certainly possible, even if it is extremely unlikely.

7. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Brock beat New England at Denver last season, not Foxborough.

houstonstime likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyway, we've let Leroy's nonsense derail the thread long enough, back on topic.

I think that's exactly what has to happen for the Texans to "shock the world" and pull off a win.

9. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well it was +900 so I put 200.00 on the Texans

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Oops, either way it was cold.. Couldnt see with all the snow... it wasn't at Houston lol.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

5 Novak FGs and 1 Defensive TD for a 22-21 Texans win!!!

CisBuds4U likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You forgot to mention how the Patriots were playing with their 3rd string QB and now has their best ever QB back. That negates all your rationalization! The Patriots will score points. The only way they won't is if the defensive line comes to play. And the LBs when they are rushing the passer. That's the most important part of the game. Otherwise Brady will eat them up.

Offensively... well, the Patriots have a statistically really really good defense. They're 8th against the rush in yards/attempt and first in giving up rushing tds. They're equally ranked against the pass. they are GREAT at not giving up TDs even if they do give up some yards. This happens to be the Texans biggest weakness... finishing drives with TDs.

Which, again, is why the defense has to dominate again, and special teams have to not screw up - hey, how about a punt return for a TD. Texans have to win the turnover battle. Or more importantly, not have any turnovers. Even if they don't create any. If all that happens, then they have a shot. But it has to all happen

13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

although I hold my breath during every Novak field goal. They always seem to just eek their way in, none are boomed with a lot of confidence.

14. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just put him on ignore. I only held off doing this sooner because the guy is actually capable of sound football discussion, but in the end it is just not worth the wait.

It's like cutting cable. You really think you will be missing out once you do it, but when you finally do, you almost forget that you ever had it.

justtxyank and leroy like this.
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Is he, though? His takes on Mallet and blaming Osweiler's inaccuracy squarely on the receivers tells me he just talks out of his ass most of the time. I've seen rational thoughts from him from time to time...but then it quickly escalates into him derailing threads because he's just so freaking sensitive.

You're probably right. I wouldn't miss a damn thing ignoring his posts...certainly not anything relevant, intelligent, or in anyway useful.

Anyhoo....

I'm fairly confident we'll cover the spread but there's just too much that has to go perfectly with the offense to actually score enough to win this game outright. You're going to have to beat them at their own game (short passes) as they're not going to let us go long. They'll likely play 2 deep safeties again. Miller is going to need to have a huge game to keep us in it.

24-13 Pats is my prediction.

csj and LAM like this.
  16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I wish I had something positive to say here. Frankly, we wouldn't even be here if Derek Carr could stand upright. I will not fool myself into thinking the Texans are going to win. My gut aches thinking about this team, thinking about Brock Osweiler as our starting QB and the $72 million he's owed; thinking about Bill O'Brien not having been fired already and now parlaying a meaningless playoff win against the Raiders into a few more seasons at coach; thinking about Bob McNair dropping the gauntlet insisting on becoming the Patriots-Lite with the slew of former Patriots misfits, rejects, and retreads now working for this team, yet here we are about to face the music: We are not the Patriots. That is the only solace to be taken from this game.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In order to prevent future threads from being derailed by that simpleton Leroy, I'll do the necessary thing and just block the jackass. It's not like he provides anything of value to any board and at this point he's actively taking away from any intelligent discussion that could be had here.

Now let's get this thread back on topic.

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing would make me happier than to shut up those cocky arrogant fans and players in New England, and see our players stew up the New England team in a big giant pot of tomato soup on an HEB commercial after our win. Ahhhhhh, to dream is better than to be realistic right now.

I'm not going to analyze this, because quarterback stats alone make it an unrealistic win, so I will just say this:

On any given Sunday stranger things have happened, and underdogs have pulled off what seemed impossible. Anything is possible, regardless of how unlikely it may seem, so I will just hope for the miracle of all miracles.

Come on Texans, bring it on!!!!!!!

#118 deb4rockets, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is precisely the TIME when it happens...Almost EVERYONE is picking NE....big.

Just for $hit and giggles...There are some differences going in..JJ's back was messed up in that game, and while HE'S not playing, Clowney's versatility to cover the run and be a huge disruptive force in the defensive backfield has made up for the loss of him in many ways. And on the defensive side of the ball, we are pretty healthy besides KJ.(and AJ has made up for him) Our defense will play a MUCH bigger role this weekend.

We were also without Duane Brown....

And there are big unknown variables with Brock and Savage...Hell, I think we'll be able to run the ball...gotta loosen them up a bit with a vertical game....And I LOVE seeing NUK in the slot.....They're making sure he gets involved early.

I know it smacks of homerism/Guyana Punch...

Yes, Superman is back at QB, but I still like the Texans and the points...with a shot to win.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's very much a "puncher's chance" situation. If the Texans can manage to not turn the ball over and the defense holds them to under 20 points, then anything could happen. At the same time, when you are going in talking about a "puncher's chance", you have to expect the worst while hoping for the best.

macho GRANDE likes this.