1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I came here to ask what your suggestion was then! But then I saw you made that statement a link. Kudos :D

2. Buck Turgidson

Agree with this, howevah, and I hope I'm wrong, I think the odds of BOB finding somebody from outside his little football circle who he will actually trust and listen to are very small.

red5rocket likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; the key is to get a fresh perspective. To recycle a NE crony makes the effort ultimately useless. I want new ideas; a different voice - someone - ANYONE! - to push BO'B to get more creative.

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Fingers crossed

Was with gaine in Miami

#205 Rudyc281, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Wow.

This doesn't seem like a great move in my opinion.

7. tmacfor35

I am a bit concerned there has been no rumblings about an OC. That seems like a must at this moment in time.

8. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Get some damn corners please. Then build a damn O-line pls.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. tmacfor35

The Texans would be wise to cut Lamar Miller and get a RB in the 3rd or 4th round.

Myles Gaskin, Isaiah Holyfield, Josh Jacobs if he is there, David Montgomery. They all have more talent than Lamar Miller and won't cost the Texans 6 million dollars that can be used on a starting RT or LT.

Myles Gaskin

Elijah Holyfield

Josh Jacobs

David Montgomery

All would be upgrades.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they take that advice, I think we'll find out the hard way how Lamar Miller is one of the best RB's in the NFL when overnight we no longer have any run game whatsoever in any game.

Red.Glare and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lamar Miller still looked damn good when running behind this garbage offensive line. Miller is worth every bit of $6M honestly. I'm still down with drafting a RB in the 4th, but mainly because I'm not sure Foreman will ever return to form, and Alfred Blue sucks out loud.

12. tmacfor35

Lamar Miller isn't even close to one of the best RB's in the league.

He is average at best.

I would take,

Elliot, Gurley, Barkley, D. Johnson, Howard, Leveon Bell, Christian McCaffery, Derrick Henry, Sony Michel, Marlon Mack, Damian Williams, Kareem Hunt, Nick Chubb, Alvin Kamara, Melvin Gordon,James Conner, Leonard Fournette, and Dalvin Cook over Lamar Miller right now.

That doesn't include guys like Kenyan Drake, Matt Breida, and Phillip Lindsay either.

Lamar Miller is below average in regards to starting RB's. He should be a back up in this junction of his career much like he was for the Dolphins.

Fulgore likes this.
  13. tmacfor35

This garbage OL ran block decent. They just couldn't pass protect for their life.

Look at all the young RB's in the league now.

How people watch Lamar Miller and think hes one of the best is shocking. He looks good compared to Alfred Blue and a one legged Donta Foreman. The Texans RB group is one of the worst in the league.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's simply not true. Lamar Miller isn't being used properly and he still was essentially a 1000 yard rusher as the 11th leading rusher in the NFL despite only playing 14 games. On top of that, he's at his best when catching screens and the Texans aren't smart enough to run those very often.

Anyway, if the Texans opt to have no run game whatsoever by cutting Miller, I think we'll all have a new appreciation for what he's been able to do despite BOB

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Lamar is a poor man's Alvin Kamara being used like a poor man's Mark Ingram. Or a poor man's James White being used like a poor man's Sony Michel. Or a rich man's Duke Johnson being used like Nick Chubb. You get the point. Plus think about this; almost every team with a successful running game has a #2 better than Alfred Blue. I think the Texans should keep Lamar one more year and also draft a rookie. Miller, rookie, and Foreman might do the trick. But first and foremost they need to fix the whole running game; starting with the line. Chiefs and Rams had 100+ yards with their #3 backs. One was just picked up off the street. For an offense that relies so much on the run game, they should have multiple capable options to be successful.

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

One things I don't like about the Texans - and maybe Gaine will get better at this - is they seem to set their roster/line-up on Sept. 4 and then lock it down.

To some degree, they *have* to - they can't constantly bring in guys who have to learn the system etc. But for units where there's genuine struggle.... man, I'd be beating the **** out of the bushes to find reenforcements. RBs, OL, CB........ they should have had street FAs on a continuous loop, trying to find something - anything - that could offer an upgrade.

red5rocket likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I agree. The excuse I've heard given is that the offense is so complicated that it is hard to teach on the fly. Maybe they need a new offense.

I was on here begging for them to reach out to Baushad Breeland especially after Kevin Johnson went down.

In past seasons they bring new players throughout the season for tryouts. They just weren't necessarily sign them. It seems they prefer to sign young practice squad guys over older vets. Maybe because of special teams. Shareece Wright should never have been on an active roster.

red5rocket likes this.
  18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

A good road grader will also help the backs.
    O'Brien wants to run the ball so I can see a good guard or two coming to Houston.
    They tried with XSF but for some reason (probably coaching) he didn't pan out here.
    I hope they figure it all out this off season.

19. conquistador#11

strolling through this thread looking for news that we signed a new oc like..
    [​IMG]

nothing.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The last month of the season they couldn't run or pass block. It was a moral victory just getting a first down.