1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Happy Mac

Happy Mac Member

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting. I don't know much about the guy, but he seems to have coached some relatively successful lines. Bush is going to have a bigger impact on what this team does next year anyway.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Hopefully Kollar can get the more out of Amobi and crew. Mario is Mario and we know what he brings but we definitely need more balance from the other DE and DTs. I fully expect the Texans to bring in a pass rusher opposite Mario but we have to get push up the middle as well.

Amobi- Has shown flashes, he's MO is getting to the QB and I think the move from "read and react" to an attacking scheme will do him good.

TJ - Have never liked this guy from day 1 but he's serviceable, I really wouldn't mind replacing him with a big DT who can eat blocks.

Del. Robinson- The guy brings a huge burst of energy off the bench, really like the role he's playing now.

Okam- Maybe Kollar can bring out the fire in Okam but I'm not holding my breath. He's gonna get reps just because of his size but he'd fill a big hole if he could do more.

4. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

6. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I want some youth back there in safety.

I like Rashard Johnson or Patrick Chung.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Why are people so against free agents for this team. EVERY decent team has at least a few significant free agent signings. I want a veteran to fill the other defensive end position and a secondary spot, not a rookie

8. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I think people are a little timid, quite frankly, given the Texans' past record with free agent signings.

It seems to me that the Texans have adopted the Steelers' philosophy which is to build primarily through the draft.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think people are against bringing in any FAs, its just that the Texans typically do not attract the big names and usually end up over paying for the FAs we do bring in (Green, Weaver, Reeves, etc...) Especially since we've been drafting a lot better the last couple years, we've been getting a lot of good production from young guys (Mario, Brown, Bennett, Diles, Winston, etc...).

I'm not opposed to bringing in FAs, but I'd want to stray away from older guys who could end up being a 1-2 year rental.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Every decent to good FA is overpaid. You have to spend a lot of money to get established players to come to your team. The best approach seems to be to build with the draft allocate resources to scouting, and then only bring in high-dollar free agents when you're ready to make a strong push for a championship. Otherwise you just set the team back.

This years conference championship contenders are a pretty good example I think. The Cardinals didn't make any huge moves last year ... the Eagles signed Asante Samuel to help them make a run ... and neither the Steelers or Ravens made big moves. On the contrary, the Browns made the biggest signings last year and look what happened to them. Now they're in a pretty big hole financially. You can only afford to gamble when the time is right.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Texans tight end Daniels added to Pro Bowl team

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6234774.html

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

RANDI NAMED NFL'S HOTTEST
    Maxim announced Monday that Texans Cheerleader Randi was voted by their readers as the NFL's hottest cheerleader. Check out some of Randi's highlights from this past year to see why.

<iframe id="multimedia_player" name="multimedia_player" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" src="http://www.houstontexans.com/includes/iframes/multimedia_video.asp?mm_file_id=2987" frameBorder="0" width="366" height="278" scrolling="no"></iframe><br />

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

O my....! Mmm

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Damn, what a body ... this made my day! Nice work, girl! Keep it up! :D

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Texans lure trainer from Titans

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6247392.html

Geoff Kaplan, assistant athletic trainer for the Tennessee Titans the last 14 years, has been hired by the Texans to replace Kevin Bastin.

Kaplan, 38, interned with the Oilers in 1994 and was hired full-time in 1995, which was Jeff Fisher’s first full season as head coach. Kaplan has been working with head athletic trainer Brad Brown and assistant athletic trainer Don Moseley.

Kaplan, a New Jersey native who graduated from the University of Wisconsin, spent a year with the Green Bay Packers before coming to Houston. His wife, Shelly, is a Houston native.

Kaplan replaces Bastin, who has been regarded as one of the best trainers in the NFL for decades. His contract wasn’t renewed.

The Texans haven’t hired a replacement for strength and conditioning coach Dan Riley, whose contract also wasn’t renewed.

john.mcclain@chron.com

--------------

I wonder what Justice has to say about this. He threw a hissy-fit when Riley and Bastin were fired, accused Rick Smith and Kubiak of only wanting "their guys". Kaplan doesn't appear to be one of "their guys". No Broncos connection and he's been with the Titans for 14 years.

17. luisantonio1014

Lets try out Mario at OLB in a 3-4 scheme. He would kill!

18. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

19. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

It gains us about 12.8 million in cap space but incur about 3.5 in dead money this season.

Great move, as far as I am concerned.

20. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Good news, hopefully Anthony Weaver is next on the list.