1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 2, 2009.

1. conquistador#11

Just heard a report on the sporting news flash, that Dunta will be reporting! :D

2. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Robinson can’t wait to bust some pads
    Texans CB to end absence and report today
    By JOHN MCCLAIN
    Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    Sept. 5, 2009, 10:40PM

The last time cornerback Dunta Robinson returned from a long absence, Texans fans gave him a thunderous ovation that lasted for several minutes.

Now, Robinson isn’t sure what kind of reception he’ll receive next Sunday when he tries to help the Texans defeat the New York Jets in the regular-season opener at Reliant Stadium.

Robinson, the team’s franchise player, will report today, sign his tender for $9.957 million, undergo a physical and practice with his teammates for the first time since last season.

“I don’t know what to expect from the fans,” Robinson said. “They’ve always been great to me. I’ll have to earn their trust on the field with my play. But I want everybody to know I’m so excited to be back that I’m going to feel like a rookie stepping on the field for the first time.”

If everything goes according to plan, Robinson will be in the starting lineup with Fred Bennett, his protégé from the University of South Carolina.

”I’m excited to have Dunta back,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “He means a great deal to this team, not just because of his play on the field but also because of the leadership he brings to the defense.”

‘Not mad anymore’
    Robinson was hoping to sign a long-term contract in February, but he couldn’t reach an agreement. He turned down $23 million guaranteed and blasted general manager Rick Smith for making him the franchise player.

“I’m not mad at anyone anymore,” Robinson said. “I knew this day would come, and I focused on getting ready for it. I put all that behind me, and now I’m ready to play.”

Robinson trained in Newark, N.J., and Sarasota, Fla. Former safety Bill Bradley, a longtime NFL defensive backs coach who also was the defensive coordinator at Baylor, worked with Robinson.

““I tried to stay as busy as I could with my workouts,” Robinson said. “I started at 10 in the morning and didn’t finish until 4 in the afternoon.”

Robinson’s workouts in Florida included going one-on-one with former Jacksonville receiver Matt Jones.

“We got a lot of good work in,” Robinson said. “When I get on the practice field, I want to get as many reps as I can in practice. I’ll play on the regular defense and the scout team defense. I want to do as much as I can to be ready.”

Bringing a presence
    Considering how weak the Texans were against the run in preseason, Robinson should be able to help the defense in that area.

“I’ll be ready to play the run because that’s what I do,” he said. “You know my style. I bring a physical presence.”

Returning from an absence because of a contract dispute is much easier than returning from surgery to repair a knee ligament and a torn hamstring as he did last year.

“Oh, yeah, this is peanuts compared to what I faced last year,” Robinson said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6604719.html

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

DRob better not get burned.

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

All cornerbacks get burned, I just hope when he does it isn't on the big gaming winning play. I still remember it Dunta that gave up the pass that let the Titans beat us during that game Sage managed a miracle comeback for us. And from what I've seen of Dunta even before his injury, he never really had much speed.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Umm, Dunta FLEW up the draft boards after his sub-4.4 time at the 2004 combine.

He was the second CB drafted that year (after DeAngelo Hall) coming out of South Carolina. Also of note, Chris Gamble of Ohio State went 28th overall in the first round that year. He's the one who most people compared Dunta to in terms of worth for a contract this past off-season.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Was recently discussing texan TD dances, and came across this ditty.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQ9UMwO6-rA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQ9UMwO6-rA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

What the hell did I just see...?