1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Joey Harrington does have a great track record!

2. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I agree with this. Owen should be a big part of our offense this season.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's not quite as good as David Carr's track record.

That is to say it's slightly better than MiniMing's prediction record...

4. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Not as good?

Harrington 72 TDs is 69 games. Carr 59 TDs is 76 games.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

huh? no one thought you were crazy. they may have disagreed, particularly as fans. but i think every pre-season publication i read suggested the cubs would have a better season than the astros.

6. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I was talking about the all the hardcore Astro's fans here, people who would type paragraph after paragraph trying to explain why the Stro's would have a great season and compete for the divison. The homers.

I think before the season started the writer Jose de Jesus Ortiz from the Houston Chronicle predicted 90+ wins and a divison title lol. So not every pre-season prediction had the Cubs.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You're no different than the "homers" when your every prediction is exactly the same: doomsday (or insert whatever ESPN tells you). You're equally biased in the other direction.

8. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Just cause ESPN says one thing, if I say the same thing or something similar... doesn't mean that's not how I feel. I don't go by what ESPN says, I could care less, I go by what I feel...

and trust me, I'm no homer.

Texans are garbage, Stros are garbage, Rockets only team worth watching out of Houston.

9. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

so basically, you just needed some attention

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

anyone hear anything about babin running into schaub's knee? my friend said he heard something about that happening...can anyone verify this?

11. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3448

Training camp practice report - Day 6

August 1, 2007
    By Will Flaherty, HoustonTexans.com

Training camp highlights - Day 6

Bruised and battered: Entering their sixth day of camp, the Texans are “physically at a wall,” according to coach Gary Kubiak. The team got a break from two straight days of full pads during the morning practice on Wednesday, wearing only their shoulder pads, helmets and shorts.

“I’m just saying I think it’s that point in camp,” Kubiak said. “This is our 10th practice today. We’ve been getting after it pretty dang good.”

Minor injuries incurred Tuesday by wide receivers David Anderson and Keenan McCardell, in addition to a slight tweak that sidelined linebacker Shawn Barber, left the team shorthanded at multiple positions for practice Wednesday.

“We’re short on bodies this morning,” Kubiak said. “We came out here with seven wide receivers and six healthy linebackers. To really continue to go with our full load of work, it was tough, but we’re pushing through it, and we’re getting better.”

Even with these injuries slowing progress during training camp, Kubiak does see a silver lining in that he can get a better look at players who are on the margins to make the roster, especially those at the wide receiver position.

“We’re getting a lot of reps for some young kids because we got some guys nicked up,” Kubiak said. “Like today, this Harry Williams kid has come out here and made some plays. And Jerome (Mathis) needs some reps, so he’s getting a ton today. Bethel Johnson’s got the talent to play in this league. He needs the reps. Though I like to have all 11 of them, when we come out here with seven of them, all those kids got better, so that’s what’s important.”

After special teams practice in the afternoon, Kubiak provided a more complete injury report. All of the injuries he cited were minor, and affected players were expected to return soon. According to Kubiak, Barber’s injury was only a knee sprain, making his status day-to-day, and precautionary x-rays on linebacker Trent Bray, who sat out the morning practice with a rib injury, were negative.

Abbate update: Even in the infancy of his switch from linebacker to fullback, Jon Abbate is adapting well, so well that Kubiak believes he has a serious future playing his new position in the NFL.

“It’s been special, that’s all I can say,” Kubiak said of Abbate’s switch. “You take a kid from defense and put that much pressure on him, and put him on the offensive side of the ball, you’ve got a short window to try to impress us. He can play in this league at fullback. At this point right now, he’s got to be one of the surprise players in this camp.”

Abbate, who was lauded by Kubiak for his hard-hitting style, said that he just focuses on getting through each individual practice and giving maximum effort as he continues to pick up on plays, tips and instruction.

“I can’t get to tomorrow until I get through today,” Abbate said. “I think the biggest thing is just looking at the install that I have for each day, learning it, coming out here, competing, playing fast and just hitting hard.”

Fletch is happy to be here: With a secondary that allowed the second-highest opponent completion percentage in the league and recorded the third-lowest number of interceptions, Kubiak knew that the team needed to shore up its defensive backfield.

He feels that the team’s addition of free agent corner Jamar Fletcher has done just that.

“It was extremely important, because we thought about in free agency, there were some other corners out there, and Fletch (Jamar Fletcher) was on our radar,” Kubiak said. “We weren’t sure if we had a chance with him. When we got him in here, he knew some of our players, and it ended up ticking for us, so we’re very fortunate.”

Entering his seventh year in the league and coming off a season where he notched three interceptions (including one returned for a touchdown) and 37 tackles for the Detroit Lions, Fletcher saw not only an opportunity with the Texans for his career to mature, but also for his team to do so.

“I just felt that Houston was overall the best fit, being that I saw growth,” Fletcher said. “What they did bringing in guys, myself included, I just thought this was a perfect situation for Jamar Fletcher.”

Rooks pay their dues: NFL rookies have long been picked on in training camp by veterans, and from making them sing their school alma mater in front of the team at dinner taping to them to goalposts, such traditions still continues today.

In Texans camp, rookies are obliged to carry veterans’ shoulder pads back to the locker room, and today’s practice yielded many comical examples. One unlucky victim was guard Kasey Studdard, who was seen leaving the morning practice Wednesday wearing at least four pairs of shoulderpads on his back, in addition to carrying one in each hand.

Fellow rookie Brandon Harrison, however, realizes that these chores are just part of the first year experience for new NFL players.

“It’s kinda like being a freshman in college all over again,” Harrison said. “You get all the grunt work and all the dirty work. You expect it, you come out and you’re willing to do it. We gotta pay our dues.”

Schaub OK: Although no-contact rules concerning quarterbacks were in effect, quarterback Matt Schaub got roughed up a bit during the team period of Wednesday morning’s practice. Schaub was inadvertently knocked down by a teammate, but Kubiak said that his starting quarterback is not injured.

“It was an accident,” Kubiak said, “We actually x-rayed him just to make sure, but he’s fine.”

12. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Anyone hear about Mario Williams injuring his hammy? Not sure how serious it is and I haven't seen it anywhere else. I heard this on 790 AM on the way home from work today.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Kubiak said it just tightened up on him a little. Nothing serious at this point anyway.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How did Babin get anywhere NEAR the QB?

Either he was going against the practice squad, or our OL is worse than we originally thought...

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Or is it better? Maybe he was pancaked and accidentally fell into Schaub...

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I know you're not a homer. You're the complete opposite, which is every bit as biased.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I admit that this is how I am about the Cowboys, Mavs & Jazz. Difference is, I don't hijack threads for the attention/post count.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i thought they'd be able to compete in this division. i'm a fan, so i usually overrate them as opposed to underrating them.

but honestly...your posts here about the texans and astros are trollish. it's negative after negative, no matter what.

19. msn

msn Member

Ding ding! We have a winner!

20. msn

msn Member

Now, there's a dependable source of solid, trustworthy, unshakeable truth! I felt like crap this morning. Maybe I should have stayed home from work! I felt terrible about the Astros' performance by the ASB in 2005, too.

We should all derive our opinions from our emotions; the world would be a much flakier place and hence a more entertaining place.