1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason 2011

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 3, 2011.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

First, the Rockets won the championships because Jordan wasnt present.

Now, the Texans win the division because Manning is hurt.

Asterisk, asterisk, asterisk...

:(

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So, have we signed a 5th WR yet?

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not me. Ask a Jet fan if they felt bad about being handed two late-season wins en route to the AFC Championship game in '09.

This has, for far too many years, been a great division and the Texans have always been in a hole (do you realize in '08, the Titans, Colts and Jags won 13, 12 and, I believe 10 games - how fair is that??). If it takes Manning being out for them to finally get over the hump, so be it. About time we had a few balls bounce our way.

4. Cannonball

You got the first two right for 2008. We finished 3rd at 8-8. JAX had 5 wins. But in '07, Indy had 13 wins, Jacksonville had 11 and the Titans had 10. Both Wild Card teams came from the AFC South.

5. msn

msn Member

BULL****.

I encourage to check the Rockets-v-Bulls record during the Jordan dynasty.

It would have a great two series, and the Rox would have kicked their asses. It's too bad Jordan wasn't around for the only real competition the West could offer in the 90s.

There is no "asterisk" on the Rockets' championships.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

you should probably go look that up again, because you would be wrong. Jordan did not qualify for the finals in 95 but he certainly was in the league

plus what was said above me

1 person likes this.
  7. rezdawg

Guys, I brought up the rockets to show the opinion of the media and the public...that wasn't my opinion, sheesh.

1 person likes this.
  8. msn

msn Member

It's sad that the world didn't get to see the Rox beat the Bulls in 94 and 95, but it's a good thing Dream had the opportunity to put Ewing in his place.

1 person likes this.
  9. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Could'nt agree more. This franchise has been snake bite their entire existence. I want to taste the playoffs, and if it takes Manning being injured to do it, fine by me.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I couldn't give a Flying Walenda about whether Peyton is out or not. If the Texans win the division, it will be because they are the best team in the AFC South....not because 5-Head couldn't turn throw a football. All I want is a playoff appearance for this team, and if that means the rest of the NFL forgets to set their alarms this Sunday and is forced to forfeit their respective games, so be it. Nobody came to our defense when the Colts all but laid down for the Jets 2 years ago, and I'm not going to come to the Colts defense now. That team has been the bane of our collective existence for 10 years now, and I want to see them stomped into the ground no matter WHO their quarterback is.

The above post will be repeated verbatim when the Texans play the Titans....except Peyton will be replaced with Vince Young.

1 person likes this.
  11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Getting over the hump is hard. But once you get over... unless it's a fluke year riding the coattails of an unheralded someone posting a career year - you usually stay there as long as the talent delivers. Look at the '87 Oilers - they needed replacement players to steal two games the regulars probably never would have won (@Denver and @ Cleveland), and that landed them a playoff spot, starting a seven-year run of postseason appearances.

If it takes Peyton Manning missing critical games or, if we're lucky, the entire season (and if we're really, really lucky - is forced to retire), no one should begrudge the Texans a thing.

Someone mentioned the '94 Rockets, and while Jordan and the asterisk is always brought up - don't forget Mutumbo and the Nuggets knocking out Seattle, who were a better team (record-wise) and always gave the Rocks (and Olajuwon) all kinds of trouble. Luck is absolutely a key ingredient when it comes to winning.

12. msn

msn Member

I don't want to see Peyton Manning retire. I want him to come back 100%.

I want to see him continue being one of the best QBs of all time for like 5 more years. I'd love to see him go 14-2 a couple times -- with two losses to the Texans.

I want to see Peyton stay *great*, and get beat down by the Texans *anyway*. Yes, a win is a win, and it's meaningful and non-asterisked regardless.

But I'd love, just ONCE, to see them beat-down the elite, at-his-prime level Peyton Manning at home in Indy. Actually, I'd like to see it four or five times.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Except for the fact that the Colts are not perennial Super Bowl winners or participants.

14. rezdawg

Point was that when a Houston team finally seems to get over the "hump", there seems to be some reason the mass public can attribute to the reason.

Besides, in the NFL, its not too shabby to win a division for a decade and make a couple SB appearances with along with a title. This isnt the NBA where a team can continuously make it deep into the playoffs year after year.

15. justafriend

justafriend Member

16. Cannonball

There really aren't going to be any excuses for Kubiak/McNair this year.

17. rezdawg

8-8 might win the division.

18. Buck Turgidson

No team in the modern NFL is a perennial Super Bowl contender.

But if Payton Manning played baseball, what position would he play? And if he was a rib, would you eat him?

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just saw that; unreal. Texans better seize this great opportunity.

Kerry Collins,
    Chad Henne,
    Drew Brees,
    Ben Roethlisberger,
    Jason Campbell,
    Joe Flacco,
    Matt Hasselbeck/Jake Locker,
    Luke McCown/Blaine Gabbert,
    Colt McCoy,
    Josh Freeman,
    Luke McCown/Blaine Gabbert,
    Matt Ryan,
    Andy Dalton,
    Cam Newton,
    Peyton Manning/Kerry Collins,
    Matt Hasselbeck/Jake Locker

2 (possibly 3) Super Bowl Winners
    4 up-and-coming players - Flacco, Ryan, Freeman, and McCoy
    possibly 6 games against rookies - Locker (2x)/Gabbert (2x)/Dalton/Newton
    2 against journeyman/busts - Henne and Campbell

Please let this be our year to catch a break!

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Kareem Jackson just fell down.

(In shock)