1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

McNair: Everybody we see, all my fellow owners, they say you have a good ball club. They respect our team. They know...we got a couple missing pieces. If we can fill in those holes, we'll really be able to do something.

On free agency & patience: You have to be patient. You can't force things. It's a fluid situation. Rick did a great job on the trade on Brock. That was unbelievable. We're in good shape. If we had the opportunity to do something, we could. In the meantime, we're working on the draft & there's some good prospects in there. We're excited about that.

raining threes likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

McNair still pushing that ox out of the ditch.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Jesus.... every time you think McNair cannot get any more clueless, he opens his mouth and proves just how profoundly senile he really is.

The other owners tell him his team is good? Who the hell cares? How out of touch can he be? It only supports what I suspected; he only really cares what his small inner circle of billionaires think. The fans don't care if the other owners like his 8-8 or 9-7 football teams.

Need to be patient? Yeah who needs free agency Grandpa Bob.

raining threes and Htownballer38 like this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Why does Bobby even open his mouth? That guy shouldnt be involved with football operations, why is he involved with football operations?

5. raining threes

Just shut up old man

You're making me feel stupid just reading the crap you have been spewing for the last decade and a half. Just go count your money and be happy. 7th wealthiest sports franchise in the world is owned by this man. Think about that. (Depressing)

6. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Guess who's next?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. raining threes

I feel SOOOOO much better now.

Gee thanks

LOL

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  9. raining threes

Yep, what I find unbelievable is that Ricky is getting praise for having to spend a 2nd rd pick to clean up the mess he made.

BTW, I will bet you an analytics guy like Sashi Brown came up with this trade. This trade was out of the box Morey/Luhnow type thinking. Certainly not the type of thinking that little Rick McNair has contributed in the last decade.

Rodman23, J.R. and desihooper like this.
  10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wonder how many times the Texans brass had to be briefed on the particulars of the trade before they agreed it was a viable option? Did they call Morey/Luhnow?

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1766400-texans-notebook-bob-mcnair-sounds

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

You all will make some horrible team owners

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Notable prospects:

Caleb Brantley DT
    Teez Tabor CB
    Jarrad Davis ILB
    Quincy Wilson CB
    Marcus Maye FS
    David Sharpe OT
    Alex Anzalone OLB
    Bryan Cox DE

#1393 zeeshan2, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Um not the 7th. #fakenews

Nimo likes this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I swear to god... did EVERYONE in here just conveniently block last offseason out of their memory??? Yeah, how did being impatient in free agency taste, guys? Did you all enjoy the Brock Osweiler/Jeff Allen/Tony Bergstrom **** sandwich they served up last year?

If they sign Tony Romo to be our starting QB and find some second-tier free agents to compete and provide depth (+ the draft), they'll be fine

Two Sandwiches and Bobbythegreat like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

There is something called moderation.

No one is calling for the Texans to do what they have done in the past (signed players and over pay them just to say they did something); but I don't think it is coincidence that the Texans have done NOTHING in free agency while waiting for the Romo situation to shake out. Especially, considering that the Texans are going all in if they add a QB like Romo.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There's no sense in screaming into a void... what free agents did the Texans pass on that has you upset - keeping in mind you're preaching moderation after they signed four big free agent deals last winter. Go!

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bob McNair's soap opera, featuring Bill O'Brien, Rick Smith and a QB TBA

Bob McNair Speaks.

It should be a weekly TV show or monthly magazine article.

Heck, with the way your Texans operate, I can easily envision it as some weird 1950s silver-screen melodrama, with a script that keeps being hastily rewritten and stars seldom on the same page.

"We didn't know Brock well enough."

"Everybody around the league, their jaws are still hanging open."

"I think he can get the job done. But if we depend on him, and he gets hurt in the first or second game ... "

"We'll sit down and see what he's happy with and if he wants to be extended and see how we feel."

That was the Texans' owner discussing the ex-$72 million man, Rick Smith, Tom Savage and Bill O'Brien on Monday during the NFL meetings in Scottsdale, Ariz. It was McNair unfiltered again, saying exactly what he's thinking – and also putting his Texans in a public bind.

Tony Romo in red and blue? We're still waiting on that bombshell and could be for a couple more months, if Jerry Jones' circus continues.

But when it comes to the state of his team, McNair created his own news again and put his current coach's back against the wall.

I'll get to Osweiler, Savage and the Texans' forever gold-wrapped general manager in a minute. Right now, it's all about O'Brien. The 2017 season is already being set up as the year that the Texans either double down on O'B in Houston or just let him fade away.

Remember the drama – there's that word again – that shadowed O'Brien throughout the playoffs?

Was his job on the line? Did the Texans still want him? Did he still want to be a Texan?

O'Brien was forced to address that non-stop noise the morning of his team's divisional-round playoff defeat to the Patriots, then had to hammer home his loyalty again after Osweiler tossed three picks and threw away the Texans' shot at actually beating Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in New England.

"I'll be back next season," O'Brien said January 14. "I'll be the Texans' head coach."

But will he still be the man after 2017?

McNair could not have been more open-ended and uncertain.

See how we feel?

If he wants to be extended?

What he's happy with?

O'Brien isn't a just-adopted dog. He's 27-21 in three fiery seasons with a playoff victory and back-to-back AFC South titles, darn it.

McNair never would have publicly said something that mysterious and vague about Gary Kubiak, who went 22-26 during his initial three years and was allowed to dig his way out of a 6-10 mark in his fifth season.

O'Brien is clearly coaching for his job in Year Four, despite having two years left on his contract, while similar (Mike Zimmer) and lesser (Jay Gruden) coaches hired in 2014 have already received extensions.

Here's the thing: Privately, McNair was right. O'Brien's built three gutsy, strong teams. He's also woefully failed (thus far) at finding a lasting quarterback and hasn't proven enough to already be under contract into the next decade.

But O'Brien deserves better than a public lame-duck tease by his boss two years before his deal officially expires. That's Browns-, Redskins- and bad-Raiders-esque. It's also yet another reminder that all is not right on Kirby Drive and the word we heard thrown around so often late last season – power – is still up for grabs at NRG Stadium.

"If he wants to be extended."

Every young coach worth keeping always wants to be extended.

"What he's happy with."

How happy has O'Brien really been during his initial three seasons in Houston? (That's a trick question.)

"How we feel."

We'll know a lot more about that when we see who's still standing as the Texans' Week 17 quarterback and how far O'Brien can take this team in 2017.

Double-digit wins? A real AFC championship contender?

They obviously have the defense to do it. Will they have the coach and quarterback?

As for Savage being the new answer, McNair correctly hit pause. Of course, he also contradicted his coach in the process.

O'Brien recently mentioned Savage's past injury issues but highlighted the fourth-year QB's promise.

"Tom is a smart guy, he can throw the ball really well," O'Brien told NFL.com "He knows our system and he's a guy that we're real excited about working with."

McNair stated the obvious. Savage has an arm. He's also completely unproven and, if he becomes the Texans' new starter, would enter the season as one of the most inexperienced QBs in the league. Not to mention this is the last year of the 2014 fourth-round pick's deal.

"It's important that we upgrade the play at quarterback," McNair said. "Maybe we have a player in Savage, but that remains to be seen."

The one Texan who received universal praise?

The GM, of course.

"I couldn't believe that Rick was able to pull it off," said McNair, referring to Osweiler suddenly becoming a Brown, while forgetting to mention the second-round pick the Texans were forced to send to Cleveland to clean up Smith's mistake.

Last July, the Texans quietly handed their longtime GM a four-year extension. Eight months later, the Texans still don't have a quarterback McNair believes in and his coach must do better to obtain what Smith received.

As the Texans' World Turns ...

Bill O'Brien not worried about contract extension

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Texans coach Bill O'Brien said he's not worried about a contract extension, and when owner Bob McNair thinks it's time to talk about one, he'll be ready.

McNair said Monday during the NFL meetings that he'll talk to O'Brien about an extension after next season. O'Brien is in the fourth year of the five-year contract he signed in 2014.

"I really don't think about my contract," O'Brien said at the AFC coaches breakfast. "I really don't. I'm focused on coaching this team and doing as good a job as I can to help our coaches coach and our players to get better.

"If you look at Mr. McNair's track record, that's what he does. He did the same thing with coach (Gary) Kubiak, extended him going into the last year of his contract. I think he did it twice. I know that when Mr. McNair wants to sit down and talk about those things, then we'll sit down and talk about it."

O'Brien mum on Tony Romo talk

"I'm a coach (and) I don't have trade discussions with anybody," he said. "He's under contract with the Cowboys, and that's really all I can say about that."

The Texans will pursue Romo if he's released and becomes a free agent.

"I'm not going to get into speculation about if he's released," O'Brien said. "We're looking forward to being with the guys we know that'll be there April 17."

Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden are the only quarterbacks on the roster. O'Brien wants to add at least two more by the time training camp begins.

"Whether it's the draft or if someone was to be available in free agency we thought was a great fit for our team, we would do that," he said about acquiring more quarterbacks. "We know we need at least three or four when the 90-man roster is set. Right now, we have 65 guys that'll be there on April 17.

"We're excited about the two guys that are coming back. Savage helped us win a couple of games last year. Brandon helped us win two games two years ago. Both have live arms. Both know our system. They're really good guys, very good in the meeting rooms."

O'Brien hasn't changed his stance on Brock Osweiler, who was traded to Cleveland.

"Like I said 10 days ago, we're on to 2017," he said. "We wish Brock the best. Every year's different. This will be a different team."

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I honestly dont understand the panic. There were exactly 0 people in free agency that Im sad we missed out on based on the contracts given out. Im not a fan of signing someone just to say we signed someone. That's how you lose.

Two Sandwiches likes this.