1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

All of us will be gargling Tony's balls if he helps lead the Texans to the Super Bowl. Let's hope we will be gargling in January/February 2018.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Mancz lacks the strength needed at guard. He was one of the top centers throughout his college career, but because of his lack of size and his school he wasn't drafted. He was a top 10 center in the league last year, 3rd on passing downs. All that while only being a year removed from being a UDFA the previous year. It would be foolish to move him for Martin who missed his rookie year and was only penciled in as the starting C because of his draft position. He was initially competing with Bergstrom for the starting job, and that wouldn't have been that difficult of a job to win, no matter how he played. I'm not down playing Martin's potential, but the move to guard would be more logical. Don't fix something that isn't broken. You've got good to great starters at LT and C, but you need all the help you can get at both guard positions.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Very logical thought process. Good points.

Either way, I feel our line will be a right tackle away from being good to great. I feel like, with the lack of depth in the draft, we're going to hit the waiver wire hard around June and training camp, and that's where we'll find our guy, dangerous as it may be. I'd be fine taking one of the second tier guys in the third and looking for a free agent then.

4. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

The only reason Mancz wasn't drafted was due to injury. And I don't agree that Martin was only penciled in as the starting C because of his draft position. O'Brien went out of his way multiple times to praise him during OTAs and training camp. That's a rare thing. They think very highly of him. Odds are that Martin is the C and that Mancz competes to start at one of the OG spots. But I personally don't really care who is where as long as the best guys start.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say that, but Mancz has actually played all 3 O line spots and since he's been in the NFL weight room for a few years, the hand strength issue they talked about in college isn't an issue anymore. Anyway, perhaps you are right, but I don't see them moving their first round highly touted center to a different position to keep an undrafted guy there. It would have been like if someone like Jon Simon did a good job while Clowney was out and then they gave Simon the starting job the next season. Just wouldn't happen.

You are right though that Martin, like Mancz, has the versatility to play the guard spot, so it wouldn't be crazy if they went in that direction.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't wait for the draft, so all this speculation is finally over. Well, most of it anyway, other than the talk about signing Romo or whoever to start. I just hope they aren't saving all the cap money for that risk. We need some for Hopkins and others who will become free agents, and are not injury prone.

7. Stoli

Stoli Member

Yeah. With the lack of activity, I'm starting to wonder if the front office is truly disfunctional. As reported or leaked at the end of last season. Maybe they are just saving the cap space to trade for a QB. Hopefully not Romo. I'd only take him as a free agent. I understand you can't keep all your players with the cap. But I'm surprised they've done nothing so far and let some good back ups go on reasonable contracts. Hopefully there isn't really any bad blood between Smith and O'Brien. And That they have something good planned, in the works, or in mind. Wait and see.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

The best FA strategy is to have a plan and stick to it. Obviously that plan has to be multi-faceted but you can't be too affected by whtat other teams are doing. I'm sure once the Romo domino falls, it will all make sense.

I don't think Aboushi was ever in their plans. They have 3 players who can play guard AND center, 2 others who just play guard. They were not going to bring in another guard. They want their guys to be versatile. Bergstrom is still on the team because he is one who has started games at both center and guard. In my opinion you let Mancz and Martin share center duties in training camp and let the chips fall.

Two Sandwiches and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

There truthfully just aren't that many holes on this team as well.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's hard to tell because the Texans are the masters of the smokescreen (last year being the exception partially because Fuller posted a pic of himself in a Texans jersey) but it doesn't look like they are going to be drafting a RT early. The players they've been speaking with are later round picks. So we are probably looking at QB or defense (S or LB) in the first two rounds.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

PatDState posted an article that there are a couple of guys they signed as street free agents that they are very high on as players that needed a developmental year and could contribute this upcoming year. Braddock is still high on Chad Slade as a contributor.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know I can google this, but what is the status of people coming back from similar ankle injuries as Martin? Obvious a serious ankle injury given he was out all season... but is it something like a broken foot on a big man in the NBA that can always be problematic? A healthy, solid performing Nick Martin will be huge to the O-line.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that high ankle sprains, even those that require surgery, aren't too bad long term.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. raining threes

Another really good player Ricky missed out on.

17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Id rather keep that 2nd rd pick. It shouldn't be hard to find a quality RT in the 3rd or 4th rds.

18. raining threes

This dude is really good. The kinda guy that the Texans should be looking for. A big powerful dude that can play LT/RT and has some NFL experience. Only bad thing is he is 31 yrs old. But I would gladly give up a 2nd rd pick for the answer for 5 yrs at the OT position. Particularly given Ricky's history of drafting in the 2nd/3rd rds. I know this guy is good. I don't know who Ricky will pick but most likely whoever he picks wont be as good as this guy

Again, this is a bad dude who would bring much needed toughness to the OL. Well worth a 2nd rd pick IMHO. However due to his age I can understand why others disagree with me.

19. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Teams are rightfully scared of giving up valuable picks for restricted FA's

Texans want the flexibility to sign Romo/Cutler, Extend Hopkins before he hits free agency, and have 10 mil or so for the draft and 7-8 mil for a few bargain vets (Barwin, a vet DB, a vet RT) if they present themselves.

A future QB (Mahomes/Watson) in the first, a first round talent DB in the 2nd (in an insanely deep group), a quality starting RT like Magnuson or McDermott in the 3rd, 4th rd could have quality DB's like Sidney Rice, Eddie Jackson still on the board, an upgrade at TE with Kittle, a quality NT like Vincent Taylor or an edge rusher like Ryan Anderson

I think that all adds up to a nice offseason

Fullcourt likes this.