1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Romeo's contract was over, maybe this was the only way he would agree to stay.

2. Fantasma Negro

They aren't changing anything. Name and pay is about it. Rome will still be in defensive meetings but now we won't lose Vrab to new coaching staffs. This was the only way to keep Vrab short of making him HC which is probably the move in two years...

3. Fantasma Negro

Ryan was the qb and receivers coach for both the giants' superbowl seasons, I'm fine with him being promoted to qb coach, head-scratching as to why it hadn't happened sooner but now we need a receiver coach, Freddy Graves would be nice...

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  4. HiddenFlawe

HiddenFlawe Member

one step closer to making vrabel HC

5. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Both guard positions? You have Nick Martin coming back so either him or Mancz can be the RG. XSF isn't going anywhere most likely so there's your LG. And you don't save much by cutting Jeff Allen who was much better last year as a Chief than he was this year. He supposedly had a calf injury? Keep him in the mix as G depth. Offensive tackle should be the priority when it comes to the OL.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Not many MILBs can cover guys like Dion Lewis man-to-man. And the ones that can usually have deficiencies in other areas. Frankly, most MILBS shouldn't be put in that position. Give me a playmaking Safety for that role. They coveted Karl Joseph last year but the Raiders popped him before the Texans could get their hands on him. The safety group is fine depthwise but I think they need a true impact guy back there.

7. Fantasma Negro

They need to if Mancz can play guard then that's fine but he's a bit undersized to play right guard. I would be more comfortable drafting or acquiring a completely new and hopefully competent right guard and right tackle

8. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Martin played guard for several games at ND so put him at RG. Keep Mancz at C where he played well. He was consistent and durable. Save the draft ammo for vital areas of need (QB, OT).

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Mike Vrabel was part of the play calling on defense with Romeo Crennel. It all started in 2015 after the blow out loss in Miami, Mike Vrabel assisted Romeo Crennel on the defense. Both of them worked together for the defense success. Romeo Crennel will still assist on the defense, but will do a lot more head coaching duties, while Billy O' calls the plays on offense. I like this move, Romeo is not bad, and if Billy O' fails, the Texans will be fine with Romeo and Mike Vrabel.

10. HstnSprtsFan101

MY thoughts exactly. McKinney is solid in coverage. Not many linebackers are going to cover Dion Lewis, Brady is going to exploit mitsmatches. Just part of it, he exploited Kareem & Mckinney and that was the difference. McKinney said his main priority in the offseason will be to get more flexibility in the hips to help in coverage so hopefully he can do that. Safety should be a priority. Hal & Moore is far from serviceable

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, the interesting part about these moves is this....

O'Brien was asking for more control overall. He gained it on offense, I think. Overall, head coaching-wise, he may have lost some to Crennel. Did he gain some in acquiring personnel, and is that why Romeo is taking on an "assistant head coach" duty? Or is this strictly about keeping Vrabel around, which I love, by the way.

Just curious as to whether O'Brien gained control here, as he wanted, or if he just lost control and will be even more unhappy.

Overall, to me, the fan, I love the moves. Keeps the staff together.

12. Mattician

Mattician Member

Really glad the Texans didn't lose Vrabel.

HiddenFlawe likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Really glad the Texans didn't lose Romeo.

Fulgore likes this.
  14. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Safety would be my fourth biggest need unless they move Jackson to safety. I think he'd be better suited for that role or cut him if the cap hit is marginal. But yeah I'd be fine with a safety over MILB so long as that player is someone that can move side line to sideline like Eric Berry or Earl Thomas.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think it's a little of everything. Gameday wise, I don't think there will be much of a difference in terms of control and duties. Still think Romeo will call the defensive plays but maybe Vrabel will have more of a say in game planning.

As for personnel, don't think we'll know whether he gained or lost because the delineation has never been that clear to begin with. Overall, I think it was a win-win for the staff. We got to keep Romeo and Vrabel and they got raises/promotions.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Anyone have access to Mel Kipers first mock?

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We need a power back to compliment Miller but not sure AP fits the bill with his injury history and likely asking price.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jabreeeeeel!